• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Possibly foolish question: is it not possible to derive anechoic FR from in-room FR?

Sashoir

Forum Donor
FFTs and signal processing are topics I've not even been passingly familiar with for a few decades, but: if one has a "true" FR for a loudspeaker from preferred (anechoic, NFS, what have you) meadurement, and a measured response from a certain placement in a certain space of the same loudspeaker, is it not possibly to deconvolve/invert to get the space's transfer function and then apply this deconvolution to other loudspeakers measured with that placement in that space to get pseudo-anechoic measurements? Is that computationally too difficult, or is it more that the variability between enclosures, driver positions, and sensitivity to these boundary conditions is too great for such a constructed measurement to be useful?
Thank you in advance for illuminating my ignorance.
Best,
S

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do not understand the technical aspects, but I believe that's what the Klippel system is doing. Measure in-room and 'work backwards' to remove room influence. How they're doing it.... guess that's their 'secret sauce'?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not understand the technical aspects, but I believe that's what the Klippel system is doing. Measure in-room and 'work backwards' to remove room influence. How they're doing it.... guess that's their 'secret sauce'?
not really. it's far from that.

OP
Sashoir

Sashoir

Forum Donor
Thank you! I had assumed instead (because of all the robotics) that it was "just" taking a zillion ultra near field measurements and comparing them to "remove" the echoes.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@whazzup @NTK has provided a lot of insight about how to tackle the problem

@Sashoir I also have some familiarity with deconvolution techniques (more in the image processing area) and my gut feeling says it won't work for both of the reasons you mentioned (and ambiguous solutions if it did work).

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FFTs and signal processing are topics I've not even been passingly familiar with for a few decades, but: if one has a "true" FR for a loudspeaker from preferred (anechoic, NFS, what have you) meadurement, and a measured response from a certain placement in a certain space of the same loudspeaker, is it not possibly to deconvolve/invert to get the space's transfer function and then apply this deconvolution to other loudspeakers measured with that placement in that space to get pseudo-anechoic measurements? Is that computationally too difficult, or is it more that the variability between enclosures, driver positions, and sensitivity to these boundary conditions is too great for such a constructed measurement to be useful?
Thank you in advance for illuminating my ignorance.
Best,
S
The difficulty is that speakers of different sizes, heck, even from different production patches will radiate differently and you could very well change the location of the speaker milimeters or centimeters each time you measure it or measure others and basically it makes this sort of work impossible without some sort of anechoic range (usually above 100 Hz) and some robot making sure the angles are all the same.

OP
Sashoir

Sashoir

Forum Donor
Thanks everyone. I knew there'd be no free lunch: I just couldn't find the bill :)

Top Bottom