• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Popping sound when switching bitrates with su-8

ericnewman

I am having an issue with Tidal exclusive mode since integrating new smsl su-8 dac,Get a popping sound when switching bitrates to 24 and back. Other software has no issues when playing audio stream. Any suggestions other than uninstall and re-install tidal,already done. I also have the latest driver from smsl. I tried aso4all to see if that helprd,but no luck.Any suggestions would be much appreciated.! Using custom pc with fidelizer,smsl su-8{replaced benchmark usb dac1} ,balanced output to spacetech labs Qa-115 reg pre-amp,wyred 4 sound sti 500 amplifier,dspeaker 8066 active crossover{for the subs} Bash sub woofer amp. Visiton experience v20 kit speakers and custom 15 inch woofers using old avg123 boxes.Blue jeans cable speaker wire and odin interconnects.Thanks Eric
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...rDmLwQXLObrDKuy-tMHzFsGeoykrb1MkUOHeRhqyCZZAx

Blur

Forum Donor
I think this is a known issue with USB for some PC / DAC combinations. Can you try optical?

Try another USB port such as USB 2.0 not USB 3.0. See if that works. Try updating your USB drivers.

Can you stream off of the Tidal app using Sharepoint?

Feyire

Can confirm that this is SU-8 standard behaviour (unfortunately).

df00

I've owned my SU-8 for about two years, and for me this popping sound when switching bit rate just started happening a few months ago. Maybe a Volumio update caused it? I've always used the same usb2 port out of my RPI4. The other culprit could be something wearing down in the SU-8 itself?

Lawhaus

I also had the popping sound whenever switchinh inputs, I thought it was terrible. It annoyed me a lot.

But it disappeared when I connected others devices with different cabling setup.

Old situation (with pops):
- XLR out to RCA in of my sub.
- RCA out to RCA in of my amp.
Result: loud pop from my sub everytime I switched inputs or bitrate.

New situation:
- XLR out to XLR in of new amp
- RCA out to RCA in of sub
Results: no more pops. Ever.

Are you perhaps using a xlr converter cable?

Top Bottom