• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PEQ Options

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm currently having to use Roon, ONLY for its inbuilt DSP so that i can effect some form of room correction (my lounge is pretty horrendous, with some noticeable bass resonance modes). I primarily use Qobuz, occasionally Spotify for cloud streaming, and my own FLAC library on a NAS. Streamer is a NAD CS1. What options, other than continuing to subscribe to Roon are there? Dr Google doesn't throw up much, other than MiniDSP hardware, some of which is similar cost to buying a lifetime sub to Roon.

staticV3

Master Contributor
You could replace your streamer with one that has built-in EQ. The WiiM Mini and WiiM Pro for example should both receive PEQ capabilities soon (maybe the Pro already has it? It's a bit confusing tbh).

Alternatively, you could keep the NAD and add a standalone DSP box to it in the form of a Raspberry Pi running CamillaDSP.
Here's a guide: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lladsp-set-up-instructions-for-newbies.30830/

Or you could replace the NAD and use a Raspberry Pi as both streamer and DSP.

OP
Bernard23

Bernard23

I think I prefer the pi option tbh. Otherwise wait (for an unspecified time) for the Wiim Pro to get upgraded.

jae

Major Contributor
I'm not too sure about the PEQ on wiim pro as well, it's listed in the featureset on the site but there were delays for a long time, I'm not sure if it's implemented yet. The NAD CS1 also appears to be a linkplay streamer, so it's possible that if the feature is something implemented by linkplay themselves that they are waiting on, that could be a plausible explanation for the delays - I don't know how much agency the the distributors have over the software stack on the linkplay boards. What I am saying is that if the feature gets sorted out on Wiim you might see it on the NAD sooner than later, having the PEQ on the streamer is the best option short of minidsp.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

OMas

Audio Company
I'm not too sure about the PEQ on wiim pro as well, it's listed in the featureset on the site but there were delays for a long time…

I just review the WiiM Pro, and EQ is active now. Exceptional box for the price. IMO, the UX kicks the competitions butt.

Reactions: jae

OMas

Audio Company
Bernard, since you primarily use Qobuz, do give either the Amarra Luxe or Audirvana player apps a try. They both “host” plug–ins, and there are hundreds of EQ available in plug–in format, either VST 2, VST 3 or AU. My faves are MAAT’s (no surprise but ours are used by the top shelf mastering community) and PSP Audioware’s. They have free demos, give them a listen.

jae

Major Contributor
I just review the WiiM Pro, and EQ is active now. Exceptional box for the price. IMO, the UX kicks the competitions butt.
Do you happen to have a picture/screenshot of the PEQ interface?

OMas

Audio Company
Do you happen to have a picture/screenshot of the PEQ interface?

Yup, here you go. The 10 band graphic has 24 generic presets, plus one user preset as well as “flat.”

Attachments

• IMG_1757.PNG
    IMG_1757.PNG
    505.8 KB · Views: 36

OMas

Audio Company
OP
Bernard23

Bernard23

Bernard, since you primarily use Qobuz, do give either the Amarra Luxe or Audirvana player apps a try. They both “host” plug–ins, and there are hundreds of EQ available in plug–in format, either VST 2, VST 3 or AU. My faves are MAAT’s (no surprise but ours are used by the top shelf mastering community) and PSP Audioware’s. They have free demos, give them a listen.
I tried audirvana, but preferred Roon's one box setup simplicity. Tbh, I don't want to use either, it's just the PEQ that I need, nothing else.

Top Bottom