• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Optical cable plugged in but is not a selectable input in a Sony receiver STR-K750p

sdowney717

Hi, I recently thought to get an optical cable to compare how it sounds with a coax cable with DD 5.1.
The cable connects to an HDMI switch that extracts audio to both coax and optical.
The coax works good with the Sony. The optical does not work at all, I do see a red light on the cable output.
On the Sony receiver you do an input select of auto, coax, optical or analog.
However the receiver skips right past optical, it never appears in the menu to be selected.
Does that mean the Sony does not see an optical signal? Now get this, I have another Sony same model and it does same exact thing, skips past it.

I dont have another cable to test and thinking of returning it to Amazon, It is an Amazon Basic cable.
This is the manual page that tells you what to do

1688066798864-png.3466954

Randyman...

Is Optical selected for a different input? Possibly only assignable to one-at-a-time (disable on the other input). Also - try "Auto" with the Coax disconnected.

I doubt you will experience any difference - but experimenting is fun, and you are learning more about your equipment!

OP
S

sdowney717

I just solved this. Yes, Optical input is only selectable on like video 2.
DVD is coax with no optical. Why would they do that? It caused me a lot of confusion.
Instructions implies to me that you press input select and it offers all the input choices regardless of the video source selected.

Top Bottom