• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OCD hiss situation

OP
B

Barry_Sound

If you can only hear it with your ear right up to the tweeter I don't think there's much benefit in "upgrading" but to each their own. Keep in mind no amplifier is 100 percent silent. The noise is there even if you can't hear it. :)

It helps to have narrowed down the issue to inherent noise floor rather than grounding, cables or something. Now why the engineers thought 75dB was good enough, I dont know. Depends on the trade-off that comes with better dB, but I have no idea.

OP
B

Barry_Sound

Update. Hooked up a different amp today, different specs, same hiss. LOL

staticV3

Master Contributor
Dont think so. Are you saying the power stage would not be involved in potential hissing?
An integrated Amp's output noise is the sum of all its parts.
Some int Amps allow you to bypass their Preamps, which can reduce noise.

Here's an example:
NAD C 320BEE Integrated Amplifier Audio Measurements.png NAD C 320BEE Power Amplifier Audio Measurements.png

OP
B

Barry_Sound

An integrated Amp's output noise is the sum of all its parts.
Some int Amps allow you to bypass their Preamps, which can reduce noise.

Here's an example:
View attachment 341189 View attachment 341190

All right I assume the NAD320 has a main in connection, I dont think its very common. I only have pre out options currently.
I could use the Nuprime DAC9 as pre-amp and find a power amp for testing.

Top Bottom