• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objective difference between Chinese knock-offs vs expensive pro audio gear vs VST emulations??

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Looking at buying outboard EQ, Preamp and Compression from this company:

https://astoundsoundrecording.com/c...ts/n-sonic-n73eq-500-series-1073-equalizer-eq

Their gear is 80% cheaper than, say, a Rupert Neve unit it is modeled on. Anyone have any thoughts re if there would be objective differences in quality?

What about between these and DSP plug-ins meant to model the same equip?

Researching online, opinions are all over the map.

If folks are interested, I can post pictures from a tear-down of one of the units. Also happy to send to Amir for review if I buy them.

Thanks!

PaulD

Looking at buying outboard EQ, Preamp and Compression from this company:

https://astoundsoundrecording.com/c...ts/n-sonic-n73eq-500-series-1073-equalizer-eq

Their gear is 80% cheaper than, say, a Rupert Neve unit it is modeled on. Anyone have any thoughts re if there would be objective differences in quality?

What about between these and DSP plug-ins meant to model the same equip?

Researching online, opinions are all over the map.

If folks are interested, I can post pictures from a tear-down of one of the units. Also happy to send to Amir for review if I buy them.

Thanks!
I run a suite of studios. I have no experience with that company, but I imagine there must be objective differences. Whether they are audible or not is another matter.

If you want budget hardware, I have experience with a bunch of Warm Audio equipment and it faithfuly replicates many of the characteristics of the classics it emulates.

Software, however, is THE BOMB! I have participated in blind tests for UA and I can say that their many plugins are audibly identical to the studio equipment it claims to emulate - often better than second-hand equipment which has not been well maintained. I know of many pretty famous engineers who happily work "in the box" just with plugins these days - they say there is no need for the hardware.

Pro audio "opinions" are often as full of BS as high-end hifi, and I have rarely found them useful unless it is from someone highly reputable. I stay off Gearslutz for example - the signal-to-noise ratio is far too low. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been impressed with UA's results. I've read they even design taking into account the physical layout of circuits in their emulations. Is blind testing part of the Q&A they do?

Also have some Warm Audio microphones that seem awfully good. Some of their KM84 clones.

PaulD

I've been impressed with UA's results. I've read they even design taking into account the physical layout of circuits in their emulations. Is blind testing part of the Q&A they do?.
The session I was in was for the local distributor, but I have heard anecdotally that UA do controlled listening testing of the emulations.

brimble

Forum Donor
Pro audio "opinions" are often as full of BS as high-end hifi, and I have rarely found them useful unless it is from someone highly reputable.

I have a small amount of experience with a couple of extreeeeeeeemely reputable and smart pro audio people, and I've noticed that they have an extra incentive to be full of BS sometimes - they will use equipment if EITHER they like it themselves OR they think it will impress their clients. And the stuff that falls into the latter category they often end up loving themselves, even if it sounds identical to cheap stuff. After all, it's brought them lots of income!

PaulD

I have a small amount of experience with a couple of extreeeeeeeemely reputable and smart pro audio people, and I've noticed that they have an extra incentive to be full of BS sometimes - they will use equipment if EITHER they like it themselves OR they think it will impress their clients. And the stuff that falls into the latter category they often end up loving themselves, even if it sounds identical to cheap stuff. After all, it's brought them lots of income!
:D Yep, the "client impresser" is a secret pro category of equipment! ;)
(I have to admit though that I have seen it in action and it works... Mostly because clients are as impressionable as the general population, we are all subject to the same biases)

Last edited:

brimble

Forum Donor
(I have to admit that that I have seen it in action and it works... Mostly because clients are as impressionable as the general population, we are all subject to the same biases)

Absolutely! I think pretty equipment really does sound better, for this reason, at least when your eyes are open.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How many studios have a U87 in the vocal booth because..........well...........everyone knows you want a U87 on the voices.

If you've never watched the documentary of sorts called "Sound city" among what you are being shown is someone who knew a high dollar Rupert Neve 8028 console gives instant credibility. A leg up on the other studios around.

Sorry for the off topic.

OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
(I have to admit that that I have seen it in action and it works... Mostly because clients are as impressionable as the general population, we are all subject to the same biases)

I sure appreciate all the replies. The world needs an ASR for pro audio gear (does my $399 Indonesian-made guitar sound different than the $2500 American-made, and on and on) I simply find the sheer number of options to be overwhelming, working with software. I find the prospect of buying decent, simple gear and learning how to use it to be inspiring, rather than daunting.

RE: "impresses the customers", i feel like that is a totally valid concern. Another way of looking at it would be "improves their confidence level" or "makes them have more fun" because recording studios are fun places to be.

I was a touring musician for a lot of years, and I did find that showing up with a $2000 Martin gives you credibility (I.E.: this guy has a nice guitar so he must be serious.) But also, a well-made acoustic instrument is very often much better-sounding and enables better performances, so both considerations are valid.

The ultimate question is, as always, are the differences audible and it can be very expensive to find out!

Top Bottom