• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

new phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm just a few years younger and share some of your frustrations. An earlier adopter, I learned from multiple dunkings not to carry anything valuable in my shirt pocket.

I *much* prefer the Android OS, to have choices.

My latest Motorola (third, after I ditched a Huawei) is the "MotoG power" with a longer battery life.

I like a phone the size of my hand, but no smaller.

Any bigger, and it's not really a phone.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Luckily I get Apple hand me downs though I did pay an iPad Air. It’s used exclusively for music.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an iPhone, and I prefer it to Android mostly because Apple seems to have the best privacy policy.

For better or worse, a big percentage of the population regards smartphones as must-have items, and as a result, many of today's services assume that you have one too. But I will often leave mine at home unless I know I'm going to be visiting an eatery which doesn't offer in-person ordering.

Paolo

At the risk of admitting how dumb I am I'm 69 yrs old and just got my first smartphone ( I always had a flip-phone in the past).
It's an iphone and it's so f**king complicated to navigate and use it's driving me nuts. Spent hours figuring out how to send group texts and even answering an incoming call was a PITA at first. Also had to make the text bigger it was so tiny I couldn't read it this too took a while to figure out. And for a couple days it wasn't making any sound alerts at all. Something about "airplane mode" or something else I forgot. Have to get my daughter to help me with it. Really discouraging. Please someone tell me I'm not the only one who's this tech-challenged.
First, you’re not dumb, just human. I do design digital interfaces and the state of the Apple iOS design has been worrying me for a long time, it used to be the absolute pinnacle of user friendliness, but in its almost 20 years of history had to grow and add so many functions that complicated the purity of its original vision. Apple wants to avoid traditional menu as much as possible, good in theory, but when you start to have three different modal screens depending on which side of the top part of the screen you “swipe down”, it is clear something has gone awry.
It’s convoluted and full of hard to grasp gestures and semi-hidden cues.

I suggest you to keep it clean, install only the messaging apps your social circle is using and absolutely follow the apple tutorials.
Look for an app called “Tips”, is on every iPhone, and follow the short tutorials, more than once, actually do it every time you’re thinking about something slightly unusual to do with the smartphone, after a while you wont need it anymore, but please don’t get angry at the phone and yourself when something goes in unexpected ways, frustration will peak easily with zero benefits for you.
I know for a fact that we, as humans in general, can be really proficient with whatever technology we stumble on ‘till our twenties, after that it becomes an hill climb, steeper and steeper. Obviously if you’re a nerd, like me, and live with tech it will be different, the level of struggles to endure vary for each one of us, but generally, after a certain age it becomes harder and there is nothing wrong with that.

Try to keep it calm, I’ve seen people throw away their phone and it’s sad, a failure for the designers and for the persons who are left out of the marvels that being online whenever you want gives. Those are wonderful tools, approach them with patience and you will see.

Edit for a last tip: read the system’s pop up, it’s boring, but you can trust Apple on this, if they deemed important for an app to tell you something whit a bunch of text you want to know what is saying. Usually is to protect your privacy or to explain why something does not work, our first instinct is to reach for the “close” button, and many subsequent problems arise from that.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
My cell phone. :rolleyes:

1637457141365.jpeg

It will have to be replaced sometime this year as 3G is goin' away here by the end of the year.
I am not happy about this.

Chazz6

I bought a cell flip-phone at a Goodwill store. I never get a spam phone call. There is never a network problem. I can pull it out and pretend to make a call any time I want to avoid someone around me. I have no need for a daily battery charging routine. I never squint to see tiny icons.

At home I have a desktop computer with a comfortably large monitor.

I used to have a landline phone. The phone company finally succeeded in killing landline service. In return I have fiber optic with a VoIP phone that more or less simulates the old landline phone.

GaryH

Major Contributor
First, you’re not dumb, just human. I do design digital interfaces and the state of the Apple iOS design has been worrying me for a long time, it used to be the absolute pinnacle of user friendliness
Nah, it's always been bad. Back button on the very top-left of the screen, the furthest point away from a right-hander's (which the majority are) thumb when holding the phone? Awful design. It always has been and always will be 'unique' form over sensible function with Apple.

Paolo

Nah, it's always been bad. Back button on the very top-left of the screen, the furthest point away from a right-hander's (which the majority are) thumb when holding the phone? Awful design. It always has been and always will be 'unique' form over sensible function with Apple.
This sounds undeservedly harsh, iOS has never been perfect, just like everything else, but the quality and care they put in their UX paradigms for the multitouch interface was unquestionable. We’re on ASR, if you care to google for usability studies you will find precious objective data and see by yourself how far from the competition iOS has been for years. Now it need a serious cleanup, I agree with that. Anyway, we’re going OT.

OP
D

David Harper

There was something really nice about my old flip phone. Didn't require any learning curve. Just make and recieve calls and messages. Open it to answer close it to hang up. $20 / mo. I did simplify my new iphone by getting rid of the apps that don't do anything that matters which was at least half of them. I'm getting used to the phone it's not as frustrating as it was at first. But I don't get why the developers of these things think making them so complicated is desirable. Probably because people under 30 love to play with them all the time. I belong to a large health club and when I'm there the young people spend most of their time in the gym looking down at their phone. They have no awareness of what's going on around them and they don't interact with others at all. Kind of sad.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad I came to this thread. I've been trying to figure these things out for years (all of my being in different places in the word on a frequent basis hasn't helped but these last couple of years I've been more stationary) & need to invest time in this learning curve. I will put to use the suggestions others have made here & actually make an effort to use it for something other than phone call, text & picture. Perhaps check email as a start.
Now I have my first New Years resolution.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't get why the developers of these things think making them so complicated is desirable. Probably because people under 30 love to play with them all the time.
I think it is not so much desirable as unavoidable since there are so very many things people want to do. It's definitely a learning curve! And I hate that Apple doesn't force everything to render larger type if selected, especially their own Safari browser. But it is what it is. A learning curve for sure, ask questions, Google, then incense prayer and human sacrifice...well maybe just in effigy. There ARE some cute things though, like you can type a text message on a Macbook or iPad and send to someone else's phone, even Android.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There was something really nice about my old flip phone. Didn't require any learning curve. Just make and recieve calls and messages. Open it to answer close it to hang up. $20 / mo. I did simplify my new iphone by getting rid of the apps that don't do anything that matters which was at least half of them. I'm getting used to the phone it's not as frustrating as it was at first. But I don't get why the developers of these things think making them so complicated is desirable. Probably because people under 30 love to play with them all the time. I belong to a large health club and when I'm there the young people spend most of their time in the gym looking down at their phone. They have no awareness of what's going on around them and they don't interact with others at all. Kind of sad.
I want to be able to clearly hear the voice on the other end. I want to clearly be heard by the voice on the other end. I want to be able to hear the ringer when it is not in my top pocket (the work I do has it's own vibrations: oscillating saw, back hoe, etc) so maybe I will feel it in my pants pocket but most likely not. I need it to be able to take quality pictures of problems I run into in the field. And message. I want it to be a flip phone pebble so that the damn screen won't break on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom