• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New AKG 702

• Thread starter Deleted member 60987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 60987

Anyone know about the new Harmon Kardon AKG 702? You can find them for $100 on Ebay from they are made in China now and I've heard they are not as good as the older ones.
Did they just destroy a standard for recording and audiophiles to save on production costs? AKG made some nice stuff. Very comfortable. Good sound. Are the Harmon Kardon versions useless for recording? https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=akg+702&_sacat=0

Dazerdoreal

Maybe this topic is of interest for you. It compares the AKG 701 of austria and china in detail. I expect the 702 to be similar in these aspects.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Only if we had an in house AKG K702 expert and enthusiast @Robbo99999
Ha, hi, only just seen this post, sorry!
Anyone know about the new Harmon Kardon AKG 702? You can find them for $100 on Ebay from they are made in China now and I've heard they are not as good as the older ones.
Did they just destroy a standard for recording and audiophiles to save on production costs? AKG made some nice stuff. Very comfortable. Good sound. Are the Harmon Kardon versions useless for recording? https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=akg+702&_sacat=0
K702 & K701 both used to be made in Austria, and then more recently started to be made in China. I bought my first K702 in 2015 and that was a Chinese made version, I don't know which year was the switchover from Austria to China. All information I can find is that Chinese made K702 & K701 are the same as their Austrian brothers.

In terms of the K702 as a headphone it's generally better to use it with EQ, and I'd recommend either Oratory's EQ for it here:
or you can try my EQ for it in the following post:
I've got 4 units of K702 and one of those was measured by Oratory, and I've also measured all 4 units on my miniDSP EARS rig, which was the backbone behind my EQ which is in the previous link - I explain all the background at that post that's linked.

K702 suffers from a couple of problems: unit to unit variation is not great, and the solder is very likely to fail eventually or quite quickly that holds the wires on in the earcups - so it helps if you know how to solder them back on (once soldered back on by me they've "stayed on forever"). I do find them to be good soundstage headphones though (which I think is what makes them quite unique amoungst most headphones), and I think they can be generally quite resolving when EQ'd properly. I go through phases of using my K702 or my HD560s (whilst leaving the rest of my headphones alone to gather dust mostly). On balance I've been using my HD560s more often, which is a lot more reliable headphone on a lot of fronts.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I own a pair of 702 headphones and like them a lot but would not recommend them for recording as they're an open back headphone and you'll get poor/no sound isolation if you're recording louder sources (drums, guitar, brass), and you'll get leakage from the headphones into the recording track on quieter sources (vocals, acoustic guitar, wind instruments).

If you want to stick with AKG, the 271 mkII and the 371 are much better options for studio use. I've been using a pair of 271 mkII headphones for studio use for years and they're great.

The 271s are also considerably easier to drive than the 702s - My 271s sound fine when plugged into my laptop headphone out while the 702s sound terrible.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I own a pair of 702 headphones and like them a lot but would not recommend them for recording as they're an open back headphone and you'll get poor/no sound isolation if you're recording louder sources (drums, guitar, brass), and you'll get leakage from the headphones into the recording track on quieter sources (vocals, acoustic guitar, wind instruments).

If you want to stick with AKG, the 271 mkII and the 371 are much better options for studio use. I've been using a pair of 271 mkII headphones for studio use for years and they're great.

The 271s are also considerably easier to drive than the 702s - My 271s sound fine when plugged into my laptop headphone out while the 702s sound terrible.
Ah, yes, good catch re recording, I didn't really notice he'd mentioned that!

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

Ah, yes, good catch re recording, I didn't really notice he'd mentioned that!
I got a 361 instead. But use Superlux 681 for vocal tracking because of their amazing clarity, finding mistakes that sound totally smooth on an M50X for example. Are they picking up some resonance from the track? Beats me. The signal to noise ratio is probably too low with an ATH2035 or 2020. It's not like I can afford a U87. I would have to isolate only the vocal track and see what it's picking up. But I am guessing very little of headphone bleed. As for the 361s, they are nice. Also got 560s the same day but I am beginning to think Sennheiser makes headphones for background music. The John Tesh of headphones. Pleasant, easy listening, but not very immersive. As a mixer the music is the only thing on my mind, not studying for a test or reading something online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom