• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K701 Headphone Reviews (China and Austrian Made)

Rate these headphones:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 54 32.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 76 45.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 17.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 5.4%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of two versions of AKG K701 headphones: one made in Austria and one in China. They are on kind loan from a member and cost US $249.

AKG K701 Review Chinese Manufactured.jpg

Let's start with the China version. It is lightweight and doesn't impart feeling of a premium product. The large cups make them comfortable to wear though.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

The K701 has a self-adjusting mechanism which makes it hard to put high pressure on the test fixture. There was fair amount of variability in how I seated the unit.

AKG K701 MK II Chinese Measurements
Let's start with our usual frequency response measurements:

AKG K701 Measurements Frequency Response Chinese Manufactured.png

No matter what I did, I could not get the weak channel to match the other. What is there doesn't seem too bad. Here is our relative frequency response for purposes of EQ filter development:
AKG K701 Measurements Relative Frequency Response Chinese Manufactured.png

The highly irregular shape combined with difficulty of measuring this headphone means an exact EQ is going to be hard to develop. But I am sure we can improve on the stock sound.

I was disappointed in distortion measurements:

AKG K701 Measurements Relative THD Chinese Manufactured.png

That spike at 2 kHz is where our hearing is very sensitive. Its narrow width though indicates it is likely a resonance.

AKG K701 Measurements THD Chinese Manufactured.png

Group delay confirms that a secondary resonance (of the case?) at the same frequency as above:

AKG K701 Measurements Group Delay Chinese Manufactured.png

Impedance was on the low to medium side:

AKG K701 Measurements Impedance Chinese Manufactured.png

Sensitivity is below average but not crazy so:
Most sensitive headphone review 2022.png

AKG K701 Austrian Made Measurements
Let's start with a shot of the unit itself:

AKG K701 Review Austrian Manufactured.jpg

Notice that the headband has bubbles in it which I found more comfortable. And the cup has the designation of "Made in Austria). Otherwise they two feel the same.

Channel matching here was actually worse than the Chinese version:

AKG K701 Measurements No Compare Frequency Response Austrian Manufactured.png

That is whopping 5 dB difference extending to almost 1 kHz! It may be measurement error or fitment but still, we don't see large variations like this often.

Comparing the Chinese to Austrian we get:
AKG K701 Measurements Frequency Response Austrian Manufactured.png

Given the degree of accuracy we have in measurements, I say that they are "the same." Where they are not the same is in distortion measurements:

AKG K701 Measurements Relative THD Austrian Manufactured.png

So looks like there are minor variations in the mechanical aspects of the headphone that causes resonances at different frequencies. Overall, I prefer the Austrian one (right above).

AKG K701 Measurements THD Austrian Manufactured.png

Group delay now looks better:
AKG K701 Measurements Group Delay Austrian Manufactured.png

AKG K701 Listening Tests and Equalization
I did my listening tests and EQ using the Austrian one. Out of the box response is not offensive. It seems a bit upper bass boosted and the rest sounds kind of ordinary. Fixing the response errors wakes up the sound nicely:

AKG K701 Equalization EQ Parametric Filter Manufactured.png

Bass distortion was not audible until you cranked it up. Then it would crackle a bit and progressively get worse. But it never pops or make you scared that something bad is going to happen.

With EQ, I could sit back and enjoy the sound and take advantage of the comfort of the unit.

Conclusions
Common between these two AKG headphones is rather complex response error and resonances. EQ helps with the former to create much better sound. Our measurements and headphone variations are too large to say convincingly that one version is worse than the other. Taken at face value, I would say the Austrian one is a bit better in distortion department. But sadly had more channel variation.

I can't recommend either version of AKG K701 without EQ. With EQ, they are fine.
-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• AKG K701 Frequency Response ASR.zip
    24.8 KB · Views: 255

wwenze

Major Contributor
Do you have the left channel vs right channel distortions of both? Might be interesting to see if this is just poor variation instead of country variation.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
To import this PEQ profile into 'Equalizer APO', use:
Preamp: -8.0 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 25 Hz Gain 8.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 227 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 2.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1300 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 2.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2281 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 3.0
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3500 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 5.0
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5870 Hz Gain -1.9 dB Q 5.0

Otherwise, see my PEQ guide.
..................................................................................................................
For those who don't have PEQ-capable app, and want to use GEQs instead:
See my GEQ guide for 10-band, 31-band, and 127-band GEQ profiles.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you have the left channel vs right channel distortions of both? Might be interesting to see if this is just poor variation instead of country variation.
I do. Just checked. There is big variation between them with respect to those resonances.

respice finem

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of two versions of AKG K701 headphones: one made in Austria and one in China. They are on kind loan from a member and cost US $249.

View attachment 186515
Let's start with the China version. It is lightweight and doesn't impart feeling of a premium product. The large cups make them comfortable to wear though.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

The K701 has a self-adjusting mechanism which makes it hard to put high pressure on the test fixture. There was fair amount of variability in how I seated the unit.

AKG K701 MK II Chinese Measurements
Let's start with our usual frequency response measurements:

View attachment 186516

No matter what I did, I could not get the weak channel to match the other. What is there doesn't seem too bad. Here is our relative frequency response for purposes of EQ filter development:
View attachment 186517

The highly irregular shape combined with difficulty of measuring this headphone means an exact EQ is going to be hard to develop. But I am sure we can improve on the stock sound.

I was disappointed in distortion measurements:

View attachment 186518

That spike at 2 kHz is where our hearing is very sensitive. Its narrow width though indicates it is likely a resonance.

View attachment 186519

Group delay confirms that a secondary resonance (of the case?) at the same frequency as above:

View attachment 186521

Impedance was on the low to medium side:

View attachment 186522

Sensitivity is below average but not crazy so:
View attachment 186523

AKG K701 Austrian Made Measurements
Let's start with a shot of the unit itself:

View attachment 186524

Notice that the headband has bubbles in it which I found more comfortable. And the cup has the designation of "Made in Austria). Otherwise they two feel the same.

Channel matching here was actually worse than the Chinese version:

View attachment 186525

That is whopping 5 dB difference extending to almost 1 kHz! It may be measurement error or fitment but still, we don't see large variations like this often.

Comparing the Chinese to Austrian we get:
View attachment 186526

Given the degree of accuracy we have in measurements, I say that they are "the same." Where they are not the same is in distortion measurements:

View attachment 186528

So looks like there are minor variations in the mechanical aspects of the headphone that causes resonances at different frequencies. Overall, I prefer the Austrian one (right above).

View attachment 186530

Group delay now looks better:
View attachment 186529

AKG K701 Listening Tests and Equalization
I did my listening tests and EQ using the Austrian one. Out of the box response is not offensive. It seems a bit upper bass boosted and the rest sounds kind of ordinary. Fixing the response errors wakes up the sound nicely:

View attachment 186531

Bass distortion was not audible until you cranked it up. Then it would crackle a bit and progressively get worse. But it never pops or make you scared that something bad is going to happen.

With EQ, I could sit back and enjoy the sound and take advantage of the comfort of the unit.

Conclusions
Common between these two AKG headphones is rather complex response error and resonances. EQ helps with the former to create much better sound. Our measurements and headphone variations are too large to say convincingly that one version is worse than the other. Taken at face value, I would say the Austrian one is a bit better in distortion department. But sadly had more channel variation.

I can't recommend either version of AKG K701 without EQ. With EQ, they are fine.
-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Not terrible for me, but not better than that either.
The 2 kHz resonance, though narrow, is IMHO likely to be audible, esp. with classical music, due to high sensitivity of human hearing in midrange.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Difficult for me to understand. Not in par with the tests from @solderdude for example.

I can't believe it. I can't believe I have to throw away these headphones.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted "Poor", as headphones with such big variations are useless for upmost users, except a very tiny minority who have a decent headphone measuring rig to adjust the EQ for each side.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Say what you want but you can't get HD650 in white color ;) Anyway, many thanks for nice review and "generation" comparison.

What is more disastrous is price difference EU vs US, ~130-140 Eur in EU, and I can see them listed for base price $499 in many US shops :rolleyes: (of course I believe there are discounts, but still..)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice review @amirm , interesting to compare the Austrian & Chinese, and goes along with what I've heard that the Austrian & Chinese are supposed to be the same, no change. I have the K702 (got 3 units of those), the frequency response is very similar to the K701 as well as the overall physical design of the headphone. Oratory has measured two of my K702 and they also had the channel imbalance offset in the bass, following the 2 headphones displayed on one graph:
#2 K702 channel matching.png

In terms of distortion that you noticed at 2kHz, my 2015 Chinese K702 had the same distortion profile in terms of 2kHz spike:
K702 Oratory Distortion.png

My second K702 which is a 2021 Chinese version had less distortion and not the same characteristics, I noticed the pads are thinner on the newer K702 though, in fact the third one I bought this year also has the thinner pads. Following is my 2021 version of the K702:
#2 K702 distortion.png

The poor channel matching is disappointing. I'm less keen to say the unit to unit variation is high because I'm sure the new K702 is not the same as the 2015 K702 in terms of pad thickness, so I can't say that unit to unit variation is high because they're slightly different versions.

NoteMakoti

I kinda wanna get the Austrian version for nostalgia's sake. I always thought it looked gorgeous, and the hype it got off that K-On episode is what got me into hi-fi.

drcJmrR - Imgur.png

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
My Chinese K701s, as measured on my MiniDSP EARS, have excellent channel matching in the bass but a bit of variability around 2-3 kHz. They also have only the tiniest hint of distortion at 2 kHz. Maybe I was lucky ... ;-)

Newman

Major Contributor
I had a pair of these from 2007 (new) to 2015.

My listening impression was extremely revealing but bass-light to listen to, so much so that the sum result was too tiring. As a result, I didn't use them an awful lot.

I guess the measurements above explain some of my personal experience. Perhaps it actually was in the sound waves! LOL

cheers

buscon

Thanks for the great review!

Would it be possible to have the EQs for the Chinese version too? I think most people have a Chinese made version (also 702), that would be useful for many people.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I wonder if there's an issue with the cabling to the right headphone drivers in these AKGs. Both headphones exhibited exactly the same disparity. Consider the cabling comes in on the left and an extra run of wire runs through the headband to the right driver.

But when I look at multiple headphone reviews here on ASR, there are an awful lot with gross level differences between left and right drivers. I find it hard to believe there are such variations en masse across multiple headphones, brands and types.

If (and a big if) this is representative and reasonably accurate, it begs the question that if single drivers in headphones can and do exhibit such large response variations within a pair (left and right), surely loudspeakers with multiple drivers would exhibit much greater sample to sample variations? And is smply testing one speaker really enough to draw any conclusions at all?

I have two pairs of AKG-702s here and they are perfectly balanced. And a pair of 601s, 500s and they are absolutely perfectly balanced. So what gives?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Some channel balance datapoints over decades.

K400:
fr-k400.png

K500:
fr-k500-with-k601-pads.png

K500(2):
fr-k500.png

K501:
k501-fr.png

K612:
fr-k612.png

K701: (Austrian)
k701-fr.png