• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help with bridging Mcintosh MC7300s for Salon2

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm open to all input on this topic... from telling me why it's not worth the resources... to informing how to set it up from soup to nuts. I've never bridged amps before, so I'm a blank slate and looking for insight. I posted my journey of buying these Salon2 in another thread. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...tock-w-full-warranty-12k-plus-shipping.46066/

I'm currently running a MC7300 with a Bluesound Node as my streamer/dac, and the Salon2s, that's it, very simple. If I understand correctly, doubling the power will only result in a 3dB gain. I have a tendency to listen at higher volumes, 80-85 dB... even though I know I shouldn't :facepalm: Sometimes, I notice the clipping light flick on for a second and then I back off. Will bridging address this, or am I wasting time and money with little actual benefit derived? Thanks for your insight.

1. Should I do it? Why/why not?
  2. How do I do it? (wiring, taps, etc.)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Should I do it? Why/why not?
Advantage: 25% more peak volume
Disadvantage: need to buy a second MC7300
Your call.

How do I do it? (wiring, taps, etc.)
Like this:
MC7300 Manual 07.jpg Screenshot_20230808-123659_Drive.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm open to all input on this topic... from telling me why it's not worth the resources... to informing how to set it up from soup to nuts. I've never bridged amps before, so I'm a blank slate and looking for insight. I posted my journey of buying these Salon2 in another thread. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...tock-w-full-warranty-12k-plus-shipping.46066/

I'm currently running a MC7300 with a Bluesound Node as my streamer/dac, and the Salon2s, that's it, very simple. If I understand correctly, doubling the power will only result in a 3dB gain. I have a tendency to listen at higher volumes, 80-85 dB... even though I know I shouldn't :facepalm: Sometimes, I notice the clipping light flick on for a second and then I back off. Will bridging address this, or am I wasting time and money with little actual benefit derived? Thanks for your insight.

1. Should I do it? Why/why not?
  2. How do I do it? (wiring, taps, etc.)
That's not excessive unless you listen 8 hours or more. Have you worked through the numbers to see how much power you really need?

staticV3

Master Contributor
The second image isn't legible, can you repost?
Just checked on another browser without login and the image seems to load ok:
Screenshot_20230808-124240_Edge.png Screenshot_20230808-124251_Edge.png
Maybe refreshing the page will do it?

From the first image, it looks like I'd need a preamp?
AFAIK, no. The built in volume knob should continue working, even in Bridged mode.
A preamp is just what McIntosh suggests you connect to the Amp as part of a traditional HiFi setup.

If you want to forego that and connect a DAC straight to the Amp, that should be just fine.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just checked on another browser without login and the image seems to load just fine:
View attachment 304470 View attachment 304469
Maybe refreshing the page will do it?

AFAIK, no. The built in volume knob should continue working, even in Bridged mode.
A preamp is just what McIntosh suggests you connect to the Amp as part of a traditional HiFi setup.
Yup, image is visible. As always, very helpful info, thanks.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which tap are you using? With the Salon 2 probably need to use the 4 ohm tap. 300 watts and it is clipping? Power Guard will also compress peaks to prevent excessive distortion. I think it will prevent more than 2% from occurring. Unless it is coming on quite often, you probably can just ignore it. Bridging might get you over the hump I don't know.

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which tap are you using? With the Salon 2 probably need to use the 4 ohm tap. 300 watts and it is clipping? Power Guard will also compress peaks to prevent excessive distortion. I think it will prevent more than 2% from occurring. Unless it is coming on quite often, you probably can just ignore it. Bridging might get you over the hump I don't know.
I am using the 4 ohm tap currently. The clipping light only comes on occasionally and for a quick flick on and off. I didn't hear it, but saw it. My initial thought regarding bridging is that the diminishing returns aren't worth the investment of multiple resources, not just $. When you say "hump", are you referring to reducing the times that it goes into clipping?

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a power calculator (1/3 of the way down the page): https://www.crownaudio.com/en-US/tools/calculators

For hi-fi I'd use 20dB headroom to account for musical peaks.
Thanks. For 20 dB of headroom 865w is necessary and for 15 dB it's 274? Right now, I've got 300 wpc, so roughly 15-16 dB of headroom. What is the real world difference? Is it that at my highest listening levels, there will be a reduced risk of clipping and 25% peak volume?
1691492569656.jpeg
1691492582348.jpeg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. For 20 dB of headroom 865w is necessary and for 15 dB it's 274? Right now, I've got 300 wpc, so roughly 15-16 dB of headroom. What is the real world difference? Is it that at my highest listening levels, there will be a reduced risk of clipping and 25% peak volume?
View attachment 304480View attachment 304482
Real world? The vast majority of recordings of pop music don't get much past 15dB peaks, because they are compressed. Classical is usually compressed less or not at all, and I've seen 30dB quoted. Will you hear that clipping though? Doubtful.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using the 4 ohm tap currently. The clipping light only comes on occasionally and for a quick flick on and off. I didn't hear it, but saw it. My initial thought regarding bridging is that the diminishing returns aren't worth the investment of multiple resources, not just $. When you say "hump", are you referring to reducing the times that it goes into clipping?
Yes, if the light on comes on briefly even 3 db might just be enough to keep it off. Not nearly worth the price imo. Nor can you put infinite amounts of power to the speakers. So unfortunately Revel is not forthcoming with a suggested max power. 600 wpc is getting on up there. I suppose as a test you can set your one amp bridged and use only one speaker to see if it still lights up the Power Guard circuit.

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, if the light on comes on briefly even 3 db might just be enough to keep it off. Not nearly worth the price imo. Nor can you put infinite amounts of power to the speakers. So unfortunately Revel is not forthcoming with a suggested max power. 600 wpc is getting on up there. I suppose as a test you can set your one amp bridged and use only one speaker to see if it still lights up the Power Guard circuit.
I agree with you, it's not worth the price or the potential risk, but it was worth the question. Thanks.

Top Bottom