• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NASA is going to make together with European Space Association one interesting cooperation

lord45

NASA is going to make together with European Space Association one worthy project. The first-ever partnership of its kind is based on observing Earth and environmental issues. This campaign will be based on observing the Earth from space with the help of satellite technology in order to save the environment on Earth. Such kind of stuff will be observed like coral reefs, glaciers, and other things that are in danger now.

OP
lord45

lord45

Hopefully the satellite gets some solar panels. ;)
I don`t know exactly about such kind of concept with solar panels. But I know that some companies use that kind of method. Some small space agencies manufacture those kinds of satellites that can observe the land in order to help scientists from space in environmental preservation campaigns.

Chester

This is clearly really about monitoring alien activity on earth, using the environmental angle as cover……conspiracy! :D

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully the satellite gets some solar panels. ;)

Something like this ?

1627407548761.png

This is Stratobus, a stratopheric balloon made for "observation" ... of any kind...

kschmit2

NASA is going to make together with European Space Association one worthy project. The first-ever partnership of its kind is based on observing Earth and environmental issues. This campaign will be based on observing the Earth from space with the help of satellite technology in order to save the environment on Earth. Such kind of stuff will be observed like coral reefs, glaciers, and other things that are in danger now.
Observing the Earth from space is actually nothing new. Remote sensing has been done for decades now.

Have a look at Wikipedia for starters:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_observation_satellite

Remote sensing is also being frequently used on many space probes to evaluate atmospheric conditions and compositions on other planets.

One of the main challenges in these applications is determining uncertainties when doing these kinds of dynamic (scanning) measurements.

CMB

Ouhhh... interesting. What satellite speakers are they using? Do they use a high-pass filters? What frequency? 80Hz? What cable are they gonna use? I guess a long one :)

OP
lord45

lord45

Observing the Earth from space is actually nothing new. Remote sensing has been done for decades now.

Have a look at Wikipedia for starters:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_observation_satellite

Remote sensing is also being frequently used on many space probes to evaluate atmospheric conditions and compositions on other planets.

One of the main challenges in these applications is determining uncertainties when doing these kinds of dynamic (scanning) measurements.
I guess using such kind of satellite technology in environmental preservation campaigns might seem a new one for many people. Personally, I was staggered when I found out that there is a special kind of sats that can track rare species of animals to prevent them from becoming extinct.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you have to put a transmitter on the animal first - this started in the 1980s or '90s

Helicopter

Major Contributor
you have to put a transmitter on the animal first - this started in the 1980s or '90s
So only good for stuff that's murder hornet sized and up then. ;)

(The one piece of good news about globalization of murder hornets is they are big enough for the smallest transmitters... they won't work in this application. When I read about this I told my wife they are easier to track than other insects because you can just put a radio neck collar on them and wait until they fly back to their nest.)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
large enough to not have the wt. of a GPS unit affect things looked at in the study

people have used tiny xmitterson bees but no where near sat. unit size

Top Bottom