• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Absolute Sound and no one can debate me!

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On this forum we have opinions, debates, argument galore!

So, try this concerning violins:

Now, in late March in my home I will have “Perfect Music Sound”!

In celebration of my beautiful wife’s birthday, I have engaged a violin and piano duo to perform pieces by Saint Saens, Bach, Mozart and others in my living room! At long last, I will know what “real” music sounds like in my home. Sadly, a string quartet cannot fit in my home and Florida weather prevents setting them up on my deck.

i am very excited at the prospect and will report back following the concert.

Tillman in Winter Park, Florida

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It should be awesome!

...But most living rooms don't make the best music halls. (Outdoors with no reverberation isn't the best either.)

MAB

Major Contributor
On this forum we have opinions, debates, argument galore!

So, try this concerning violins:

Now, in late March in my home I will have “Perfect Music Sound”!

In celebration of my beautiful wife’s birthday, I have engaged a violin and piano duo to perform pieces by Saint Saens, Bach, Mozart and others in my living room! At long last, I will know what “real” music sounds like in my home. Sadly, a string quartet cannot fit in my home and Florida weather prevents setting them up on my deck.

i am very excited at the prospect and will report back following the concert.

Tillman in Winter Park, Florida
Most of us want to get our partners new extra-large floorstanding speakers and quad subs for the living room!;)
Great job, and very best wishes to your wife for her birthday. Sounds like you both will have a great time.:)

Jflijohn

Very interesting article that you attached, the main point that I think is missed is that people have preferences and that there is no definition of “best”. This also applies to stereo equipment, some people prefer tubes to SS, some prefer vinyl to digital. Imagine telling BB King that Gibsons suck (Lucille) and Fender is the only real guitar.
Although people will debate stereo equipment THD down to numbers that humans can’t distinguish, the biggest margin for improvement (rated in percentage, not .01 of a %) is in speakers, speaker placement and room acoustics, the later which is also a huge issue for live performances.

Mikig

Well done! they will surely become the best performance of “home music” you will ever hear…

OP
TLEDDY

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
There is already a thread on ASR about blind testing Strads: link here.

I hope you enjoy your private concert. Are you going to record it?
Hope to do so… long story, but I loaned out my ribbon mics and RtoR deck a long time ago☹️

OP
TLEDDY

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Very interesting article that you attached, the main point that I think is missed is that people have preferences and that there is no definition of “best”. This also applies to stereo equipment, some people prefer tubes to SS, some prefer vinyl to digital. Imagine telling BB King that Gibsons suck (Lucille) and Fender is the only real guitar.
Although people will debate stereo equipment THD down to numbers that humans can’t distinguish, the biggest margin for improvement (rated in percentage, not .01 of a %) is in speakers, speaker placement and room acoustics, the later which is also a huge issue for live performances.
Excellent. I’d like to do that. Do you already have a piano at home?
Sadly, no… a business crash caused me to sell my baby grand several years ago. The duo is bringing a very high end keyboard to accompany the violinist.
i was going to pull the collective legs of ASR and say the violinist was going to play using her Guarneri - unfortunately, not the case. Rather one made by a modern luthier to fit her style and taste.

OP
TLEDDY

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
There is already a thread on ASR about blind testing Strads: link here.

I hope you enjoy your private concert. Are you going to record it?
Hope to do so… long story, but I loaned out my ribbon mics and RtoR deck a long time ago☹️
A follow up to recording… I bit the bullet a purchased a Blumlein configuration ribbon stereo microphone and a PCM recorder.

a LONG time ago I transferred my recordings to cassette tapes to send around. I now have to find a way to send the recordings to various friends. So… anyone have suggestions on how to distribute? I am forty years behind the curve on this. Old fart at 82!!

Keith_W

Major Contributor
1. Convert it to a video and upload to Youtube. Downside: Youtube downsampling, it actually sounds worse.
2. Upload to Tidal
3. Share on Google Drive / other cloud storage

With no disrespect at all, I doubt if a home recording would be anywhere near "good" sound quality. There are too many factors working against you. TBH all I wanted was to hear some music and "join you" for the event, and I don't care what the quality is like :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A follow up to recording… I bit the bullet a purchased a Blumlein configuration ribbon stereo microphone and a PCM recorder.

a LONG time ago I transferred my recordings to cassette tapes to send around. I now have to find a way to send the recordings to various friends. So… anyone have suggestions on how to distribute? I am forty years behind the curve on this. Old fart at 82!!
If you're going to have the file on your computer, putting it on thumb drives would be my choice, they are relatively cheap and fairly easy to use.

OP
TLEDDY

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
1. Convert it to a video and upload to Youtube. Downside: Youtube downsampling, it actually sounds worse.
2. Upload to Tidal
3. Share on Google Drive / other cloud storage

With no disrespect at all, I doubt if a home recording would be anywhere near "good" sound quality. There are too many factors working against you. TBH all I wanted was to hear some music and "join you" for the event, and I don't care what the quality is like :)
No offense taken!

As to 1. and 2. above (and 3, for that matter) - please give me a reference on “How to…” I was truthful when I said my experience is over 40 years old.

OP
TLEDDY

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
If you're going to have the file on your computer, putting it on thumb drives would be my choice, they are relatively cheap and fairly easy to use.
This sounds like a good idea - what format should I use so the information can be interpreted with a DAC?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This sounds like a good idea - what format should I use so the information can be interpreted with a DAC?
Depends on the gear that will be reading it somewhat, was thinking more for your various friends the device would be another computer, but some, like avrs and many pre-pros, will need a particular format (like FAT32) as a mass storage device. I don't have a stand alone dac but would think they can handle more formats but not sure.

OP
TLEDDY

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Depends on the gear that will be reading it somewhat, was thinking more for your various friends the device would be another computer, but some, like avrs and many pre-pros, will need a particular format (like FAT32) as a mass storage device. I don't have a stand alone dac but would think they can handle more formats but not sure.
Apples have an integral DAC and most of my friends/family have Apple - so what format would work?

TimF

Forum Donor
In the movie Time Regained there is a scene of a French salon--social gathering--where a piano/violin piece is played, perhaps a Cesar Frank or Faure composition. When Mr. TLEDDY has the performers over to his house I hope it has all the splendor as that depicted in the movie.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
No offense taken!

As to 1. and 2. above (and 3, for that matter) - please give me a reference on “How to…” I was truthful when I said my experience is over 40 years old.

First things first, do you know how to make a recording and create a .WAV file? Once you have your .WAV file, uploading it is easy:

1. For Youtube: First, use a free online YT video editor of your choice. Download the finished video to your PC. Create a Youtube account, and follow the on-screen instructions to upload your video.

2. For Tidal: Follow these instructions.

3. For Google Drive: create a Google Drive account. Drag your files into Google Drive on your browser. Right click on the files and click "Share". Choose how you want to share, and send the link to people you want to share it with.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First things first, do you know how to make a recording and create a .WAV file? Once you have your .WAV file, uploading it is easy:

1. For Youtube: First, use a free online YT video editor of your choice. Download the finished video to your PC. Create a Youtube account, and follow the on-screen instructions to upload your video.

2. For Tidal: Follow these instructions.

3. For Google Drive: create a Google Drive account. Drag your files into Google Drive on your browser. Right click on the files and click "Share". Choose how you want to share, and send the link to people you want to share it with.
I like that google drive idea, that might be easiest and cheapest.

Top Bottom