• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My 3-month old Marantz PM6007 just wont work anymore

artsky

Earlier, I was still listening to music, with the volume set between 9am and 10am then suddenly the unit went silent and the led is flashing a long red with 4 short blinks. Manual says this is a sign of overheating but the unit is in a ample ventilated location and the volume level is quite low. I also have air-conditioning in my room.

I left it to rest for more than an hour but the same issue persist. While this is still covered by warranty, the experience does not give me a good impression about this brand, and this is the first amplifier in my audiophile journey. Just venting out some frustration.

Edit: I forgot to add that this is connected to a relay-type AVR and a power strip with surge protection. Speakers used are Polk R200.

JSmith

Master Contributor
check the rear panel to confirm there are no stray wire strands around the speaker connections.
Definitely worth checking.
the same issue persist
Sorry to hear this, I'm sure it's frustrating.

Have you inspected all speaker connections to double check none have come in contact with each other or the back panel of the amp? If that has happened the protection circuit could be activating.

JSmith

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Switch off the PM and disconnect all cables except the mains. Wait 30 minutes. Switch it on again. LED still red ->warranty.

Connect source and a headphone, play music. Nothing to hear -> warranty (try at least another source, both analog and digital)

Connect speakers, play music. Nothing to hear -> warranty

OP
A

artsky

Thanks for the suggestions, but I actually tried to power the unit on without anything connected and it behaved the same way.

Then after a day, out of curiosity, I briefly powered it on today and it seems to be working, but since the dealer told me to bring the unit for servicing, I did not attempt to connect the speakers or use it.

Because of this experience, I plan to buy a servo-type AVR to replace my relay-type and also plan to buy AC Infinity S6 for cooling.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The "theory" is that solid state electronics fail "randomly". i.e. The chances of it failing in the 1st month are the same as it failing in the 100th month. Of course as the days & months add-up there are more chances for a failure and sooner or later the odds usually catch-up with you.

But that doesn't account for manufacturing defects like a flakey part, wrong part, or a flakey solder joint, etc., and these failures usually show-up early. I work in electronics (not audio) and we test everything, burn it in at elevated temperature for 2-days, then test again. That's to weed-out the early failures. We don't get a lot of field failures, but we don't get many burn-in failures either.

Down South

Previous posters have given you good rational answers to your problem. As to Marantz, it's an excellent brand. I had/have the original CD63 and later, the 63KI. I bought last year before the price hike the CD6007 which is better than both previous CDPs, not only as a CDP but also the h/amp and when I've digitised my LPs I'm sure the digital board will prove to be the same high quality. I used the 63KI from 92 - 2018 and the only defect in 2012 was the on-off push button on the front panel - it still played.

delta76

Major Contributor
The "rule" as I know it says that electronic devices fail either within the first 10 hours or after at least 10 years of usage.
Or anytime in between. Hardware failure happen randomly and every time you turn it on or every hour you play music with it, there is a tiny tiny chance that something will fail.

Some equipment are more reliable than others but nothing is guaranteed

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or anytime in between. Hardware failure happen randomly and every time you turn it on or every hour you play music with it, there is a tiny tiny chance that something will fail.

Some equipment are more reliable than others but nothing is guaranteed
Of course a device can fail anytime. The "rule" is based on statistic, meaning how likely it is that a device fails.

OP
A

artsky

I have sent the unit back to dealership yesterday and they have confirmed the issue. The unit will then be sent to the service center today. Hopefully it will be back soon.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is a relay type avr connection? Why is it connected to an avr at all?

OP
A

artsky

Relay-type automatic voltage regulator. I just ordered a servo-type voltage regulator to replace it.

Down South

Automatic voltage regulation is an excellent idea for all electrical devices. Over and under regulation can seriously shorten the life of any electrically driven device. The same goes for soft start circuits.

In the days of valve radios there was always a valve fulfilling this function, gradually feeding an increasing power supply instead of a massive rush of current.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Automatic voltage regulation is an excellent idea for all electrical devices. Over and under regulation can seriously shorten the life of any electrically driven device. The same goes for soft start circuits.

In the days of valve radios there was always a valve fulfilling this function, gradually feeding an increasing power supply instead of a massive rush of current.
Not in any equipment I've ever seen. In all valve equipment, the heaters themselves in all the valves gradually drawing power had this effect. Cheaper equipment used a Solid-State (usually selenium) rectifier, where HT and heaters was applied immediately, but the valves took some seconds to start drawing cathode current. More upmarket equipment used a rectifier valve (usually a double-diode) where the HT rose slowly as the rectifier started passing current.

However, I take the point that valve equipment was inherently 'soft-start'.

As to Automatic Voltage Regulators, I don't see the value in Europe where mains is quite well stabilised, the mains in my house may go from 238v to 242v during the day, so hardly significant. The lowest I've seen was 236v, the highest 245v, so even that wasn't extreme.

When I was designing Outside Broadcast vehicles, we always incorporated AVRs, as they would be working off third-world supplies or possibly Diesel generators which weren't particularly stable, so yes, under those circumstances, an AVR would be useful.

S.

Down South

Not in any equipment I've ever seen. In all valve equipment, the heaters themselves in all the valves gradually drawing power had this effect. Cheaper equipment used a Solid-State (usually selenium) rectifier, where HT and heaters was applied immediately, but the valves took some seconds to start drawing cathode current. More upmarket equipment used a rectifier valve (usually a double-diode) where the HT rose slowly as the rectifier started passing current.

However, I take the point that valve equipment was inherently 'soft-start'.

As to Automatic Voltage Regulators, I don't see the value in Europe where mains is quite well stabilised, the mains in my house may go from 238v to 242v during the day, so hardly significant. The lowest I've seen was 236v, the highest 245v, so even that wasn't extreme.

When I was designing Outside Broadcast vehicles, we always incorporated AVRs, as they would be working off third-world supplies or possibly Diesel generators which weren't particularly stable, so yes, under those circumstances, an AVR would be useful.

S.
Have you ever lived in Europe, I doubt it. In Spain the voltage c an go as low as 180, same in Portugal. Your quoting your experience, there are many places in the UK where massive over and under voltage occurs - your experience is just that, yours.

OP
A

artsky

My servo-automatic voltage regulator has been delivered. Hopefully my Marantz will be back soon from repair. No word from them yet (3 days already).

Down South

My servo-automatic voltage regulator has been delivered. Hopefully my Marantz will be back soon from repair. No word from them yet (3 days already).
Any form of AVR is a good idea. I intend to 'try' and get EDF to offer a decent price for only taking juice from midnight-6AM and feed it into batteries. If I need more using a pure sine wave inverter with AVR has to be the way to go. With extreme weather the norm now, there are places in northern France that lost power for 3 weeks. With an efficient diesel generator, diesel being a stable, safe fuel unlike gas or petrol I have a guaranteed supply of electricity.

Feeding a sound system with a stable voltage has to be a sensible long term idea.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The "theory" is that solid state electronics fail "randomly". i.e. The chances of it failing in the 1st month are the same as it failing in the 100th month. Of course as the days & months add-up there are more chances for a failure and sooner or later the odds usually catch-up with you.
What theory is that? Reliability curves usually aren’t flat. More failures at the beginning of use due to manufacturing defects, then a long period of low failure rate that ramps back up as things wear out. There are multiple mechanisms that “wear out” electronic components.

DonR

Major Contributor
Bathtub failure curve is well known in the industry. Steep at first, flat at the bottom, slowly rising past a certain point (usually the warranty :)).

Top Bottom