• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP or NAD M10

penquin

Hi all,

I am looking to incorporate some sort of DSP into my system and wanted to see what would be the best route.

Cambridge Audio 851N > Nord NC500 > Revel F208
Cambridge Audio 851N > Rythmik E15 (via Line out)

Currently debating about buying a MiniDSP DDRC-24 to slot in between the 851N and amp. My worry here is the ~90dB SINAD it seems it is rated for. Should I still move forward with it?

The other alternative is selling the 851N and switching to the NAD M10. Thoughts on this?

Last edited:

hch

Or sell the Cambridge and go for the MiniDSP SHD with 112 SINAD, guaranteed better measured performance than the NAD and cheaper too.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do your sources look like and what sort of DSP are you looking to implement? Dirac only or do you also want to do x-over / peq in the DDRC-24?

There are ways of using a DDRC-24 and a RPi to bypass the DDRC-24 DAC so that another USB DAC can be used (like the 851N) but in order to do this you need to route your inputs through the DDRC and would lose a lot of the 851N functionality.

Agree with the previous suggestion that replacing the 851N with a SHD is a good option.

Michael

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all,

I am looking to incorporate some sort of DSP into my system and wanted to see what would be the best route.

Cambridge Audio 851N > Nord NC500 > Revel F208
Cambridge Audio 851N > Rythmik E15 (via Line out)

Currently debating about buying a MiniDSP DDRC-24 to slot in between the 851N and amp. My worry here is the ~90dB SINAD it seems it is rated for. Should I still move forward with it?

The other alternative is selling the 851N and switching to the NAD M10. Thoughts on this?
Or wait until Volumio 3 is out by the end of the year because it will be equipped with a PEQ which hopefully will accept correction files from REW (that's what I read on github).

Volumio runs on (of course) Volumio Primo Streamer with an implemented DAC and Volume Control and on many other devices like the Raspberry Pie and everything based on it. All you will need in addition is a decent power amp (Trillions of them out there for a reasonable amount of money).

OP
P

penquin

Have definitely thought about that but my biggest hesitation about the SHD is Volumio and its usability.

OP
P

penquin

What do your sources look like and what sort of DSP are you looking to implement? Dirac only or do you also want to do x-over / peq in the DDRC-24?

There are ways of using a DDRC-24 and a RPi to bypass the DDRC-24 DAC so that another USB DAC can be used (like the 851N) but in order to do this you need to route your inputs through the DDRC and would lose a lot of the 851N functionality.

Agree with the previous suggestion that replacing the 851N with a SHD is a good option.

Michael

Only real source I have currently is an optical cable from my TV. Everything else is streamed through Spotify/FLACs via Plex (Utilizing CA's Stream Magic)

I am okay not using a crossover but am not opposed to it. If it was to happen it would be with Dirac/DDRC-24

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would make the jump to MiniDSP SHD studio or MiniDSP SHD.

if you’re interested in more than a 2.2 setup then an Atmos capable reciever with DDRC-88A would be great.

OP
P

penquin

I would make the jump to MiniDSP SHD studio or MiniDSP SHD.

if you’re interested in more than a 2.2 setup then an Atmos capable reciever with DDRC-88A would be great.

Does the MiniDSP SHD allow more than 2 channel corrections with Dirac. I vaguely remember reading that Dirac does only 2 channels even though the SHD is capable of allowing sub outs.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have definitely thought about that but my biggest hesitation about the SHD is Volumio and its usability.
Well, the app is buggy at the moment. But all in all I can't complain despite the fact, that I have to restart it nearly every time I want to change the source ;). But it controls a Samsung SSD, serves as a streaming endpoint and I could implement Tidal, Quobus or roon (if I would run it) with a click.

In other words: I use it for about two years now and I learned to live with it's shortcomings. But I sincerely hope that Volumio 3 will get rid of some flaws....

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the MiniDSP SHD allow more than 2 channel corrections with Dirac. I vaguely remember reading that Dirac does only 2 channels even though the SHD is capable of allowing sub outs.

no but it will correct the subs response, whether the two are in mono or in stereo. as long as they're crossed over and integrated with mains.

Personally i would save money and buy/wait for a receiver with Dirac Bass Control, it's incredibly powerful and intelligently designed. preferably a one that supports multiple subs.

I wouldn't compromise on Dolby Atmos decoding in 2021 and the SHD series is too expensive for what it is.

MarkS

Major Contributor
My worry here is the ~90dB SINAD
What, exactly, are you worried about? That your friends will laugh at you because you didn't spend more money on something with better specs?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What, exactly, are you worried about? That your friends will laugh at you because you didn't spend more money on something with better specs?

I don't really care about THD but noise on that device is fairly high, it has S/N of 98 dB which even with the best amplifiers can be very audible at night.

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Would you consider selling your CA streamer and replacing with a computer (e.g. Mac mini or NUC, though any would work - pick depending on which OS you like best) and decent DAC? Then you’d have the choice of all kinds of bitperfect streaming software that incorporate DSP and can be controlled remotely via smartphone/tablet.
You might save a bunch of cash too.

I went the streamer route for a while. Tried Chromecast Audio, Auralic and Linn, but couldn’t get on with them - especially when I wanted to add room correction. Went back to Mac and a DAC (and now Roon) and I’ve never had better sound or ease of use.

I now also plug the computer into the TV to stream iPlayer, Netflix, Prime etc - all with DSP.

Anyway, many ways to achieve what you want - not saying mine is the best, just works best for me.

Last edited:

kukocz

Forum Donor
How to bypass DDRC-24 DAC with RPi?
I’ve done that using I2S to SPDIF converter but this requires soldering on MiniDSP PCB.
Is there a simpler way?

MarkS

Major Contributor
NAD already has some recievers with Dirac Bass control and I think Emotiva too.
I don't think this is correct. Per Dirac:
For users with StormAudio, JBL Synthesis and some Audio Control it is included

For Arcam, Audio Control Concert XR-4, Bryston SP4, Focal Astral 16 and Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 you can get it as an add-on
https://live.dirac.com/home-audio-2/

The cheapest device with single-sub DLBC seems to be the Arcam AVR10 at $2500 (plus the $349 Dirac upgrade to DLBC). To get multi-sub, the cheapest devices appear to be the Arcam AVR20 and the Monolith HTP-1 at $4000 (plus the $499 Dirac upgrade to multi-sub DLBC).

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How to bypass DDRC-24 DAC with RPi?
I’ve done that using I2S to SPDIF converter but this requires soldering on MiniDSP PCB.
Is there a simpler way?

I only just figured out how to do it but it involves using a RPi4 and CamillaDSP to route the Dirac processed signal from the DDRC-24 to another USB DAC.

Posts 25 and 26 of the thread linked below give a bit more information.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-usb-port-as-output.19976/page-2#post-851557

Michael

kukocz

Forum Donor
I only just figured out how to do it but it involves using a RPi4 and CamillaDSP to route the Dirac processed signal from the DDRC-24 to another USB DAC.

Posts 25 and 26 of the thread linked below give a bit more information.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-usb-port-as-output.19976/page-2#post-851557

Michael
I went through your post carefully but the thing is that DDRC-24 can’t route output signal to it’s USB port. USB is used only to for configuration or acting as usb DAC input.
I wish I could use it like you described :)

Top Bottom