• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Midrange and bass flat sound

patq2

today I learn two midrange speaker and one subwoofer is not flat sound one midrange and one subwoofer is flat sound yeah

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1708537066652.gif

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
today I learn two midrange speaker and one subwoofer is not flat sound one midrange and one subwoofer is flat sound yeah
I'm not sure where you learned this, but I don't think it's a reliable fact.

Are you referring to subwoofers, which are dedicated boxes that only play bass, or you referring to woofers which are generally the largest speaker in a box with multiple drivers (e.g. a tweeter and sometimes a midrange unit)?

OP
P

patq2

I'm not sure where you learned this, but I don't think it's a reliable fact.

Are you referring to subwoofers, which are dedicated boxes that only play bass, or you referring to woofers which are generally the largest speaker in a box with multiple drivers (e.g. a tweeter and sometimes a midrange unit)?
I referring to the subwoofer that blay bass. the Monolith m10 v2 crossover frequency is 440 hertz in THX mode

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I referring to the subwoofer that blay bass. the Monolith m10 v2 crossover frequency is 440 hertz in THX mode
That doesn't make a lot of sense. That sub is what it is, but where is your crossover coming from? The low pass filter on that sub doesn't go to 440 so not sure what you're referring to....

OP
P

patq2

That doesn't make a lot of sense. That sub is what it is, but where is your crossover coming from? The low pass filter on that sub doesn't go to 440 so not sure what you're referring to....
the crossover is coming from my monolith m10 v2 I tested thoroughly 440 is crossover frequency

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the crossover is coming from my monolith m10 v2 I tested thoroughly 440 is crossover frequency
Seems you mean the upper frequency limit of the sub, not crossover. A crossover is the application of a high pass filter and a low pass filter together.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Ah OK. As others have pointed out, subwoofers generally don't have crossovers. The clue is in the name - e.g. the bass/mid driver crosses over to the tweeter.

Subwoofers "roll off" at a certain high frequency, in this case Monolith state 200Hz, and indeed the graphs show that.

So now back to your statement:
What do you mean? Are you saying that, because the Monolith goes up to 200Hz, the main speakers need to have a high-pass filter slightly above 200 Hz to prevent excessive bass? If so, yes, that's the case. If you are using this subwoofer with normal speakers without a filter, there will be way too much sound between, say, 80 and 300 Hz.

OP
P

patq2

I think 277 hertz is the best crossover frequency with 24DB slope it seems that the sound is split 50-50 between my 5 inch woofer and 10 inch subwoofer

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
That's probably OK if you have stereo subwoofers.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I think 277 hertz is the best crossover frequency with 24DB slope it seems that the sound is split 50-50 between my 5 inch woofer and 10 inch subwoofer
Do not start a new thread. This makes no sense to anyone without reading the "logic" in your other thread.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
BUT, it's not a crossover. Please understand the other thread. This is about the roll off of your subs and the HPF of your main speakers.

Top Bottom