• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Link to review video & discussion: Boyuurange A50 SE DHT amplfier

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Trying to make good on my "promise" ;) last night not to muck up the Carver Crimson 275 review (too much) further: @Bernd brought up one of the low(ish) priced Chinese300B amps. The name of the amp rang a bell (as they say), so I thought I'd start a thread about it. If this is misplaced, by all means, feel free to move it. If it is inappropriate to share the review link to another forum, then, of course, by all means delete it.

Tnx for this review! I am not an electrician, not into DIY electronics, and I cannot make sense of an electronics diagram or layout. But I was shocked to see the internals of this 'high-end' device - it looks sooooo 'shoddy' that I would have felt 'ripped off' had I bought it.
Here is a picture of the internals of a Chi-Fi product (BoyuuRange A50 MKIII 300B): I have no idea how this thing sounds but just by looking at it, I .......hm...... let us say, 'tend to have seriously more confidence!

View attachment 179645

Well, you tell me. Price 850$ on Amazon.

You (and others interested in amplifiers like this one) might find this 'review' interesting.

arancano

I've had this amp for almost two years now. The only mod I did was upgrading the tubes. Like most gear, its performance is dependent on the synergy it has with other gear.

I can believe it sounding bad with some devices. It is not an amp for everyone. With my source (Denafrips DDC and Burson 3XP DAC with Sparkos op amps) and Technics 1210GR/Lyra Delos), tube preamp (Douk Audio H8), interconnects (Blue Jeans), speaker cable (Micca), and speakers (HECO Aurora 1000 and Sonus Faber Lumina II), it sounds quite excellent.

I am an experienced audiophile (40+ years), a live acoustic concert veteran (2-3 concerts a week), and worked at a very high end Audio Store. I have bought and borrowed more gear than I care to list. I have also visited the homes of no-expense spared audiophiles whose systems are more about bragging rights than realistic sound reproduction. All of that experience has made me look at reviews as guidance to get something to test in my system, not to a purchase or to discard gear that is promising.

Every piece of gear can be criticized for one thing or another. Veteran audiophiles know that, unless something is truly a badly design (which is often debatable), it is all about synergy, speaker placement, room acoustics, and your hearing. Take with a grain of salt bad reviews of the A50, or good ones for that matter. Find gear that the A50 likes, and likes it, and you could have the right amp for your taste and budget. In these days of easy returns, lack of trying it for yourself is inexcusable.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had this amp for almost two years now. The only mod I did was upgrading the tubes. Like most gear, its performance is dependent on the synergy it has with other gear. I can believe it sounding ****** with some devices. With my source (Denafrips DDC and Burson 3XP DAC with Sparkos op amps), tube preamp (Douk Audio H8), interconnects (Blue Jeans), speaker cable (Micca), and speakers (HECO Aurora 1000 and Sonus Faber Lumina II), it sounds quite excellent. I am an experienced audiophile (40+ years), a live acoustic concert veteran (2-3 concerts a week), and worked at a very high end Audio Store.

Every piece of gear can be criticized for one thing or another. Veteran audiophiles know that, unless something is truly a badly design, it is all about synergy, placement and room acoustics. Don't take for granted bad reviews of the A50, any more than you should good reviews. Find gear that it likes, and likes it, and you could have the right amp for your taste and budget.
I request to be pinched so that I can wake up... We're on ASR? Right?

Allow me to use one of my favorite meme...

arancano

We are on ASR, a very valuable resource. Measurements are part of what should guide us when considering what we want to try in our rigs. Amir has repeatedly said as much. With regard to synergy, here are nice attempts to define it:

Curvature

Major Contributor
Synergy is simple; if you have an amp that is marginally stable, don't use a speaker that exacerbates the instability. So in this sense, the listener simply avoids combinations of equipment that are poor operational matches. Voila! ...... synergy!

Of course, snake oil salesmen and scam artists use the term for much more than just common-sense applications. The more that they can use the term to confuse customers and sell more items, the better for their business. In that sense, synergy is just common, run-of-the-mill b.s.

Jim
Yeah, I get what you mean.
We are on ASR, a very valuable resource. Measurements are part of what should guide us when considering what we want to try in our rigs. Amir has repeatedly said as much. With regard to synergy, here are nice attempts to define it:

I also felt that if your amplifier works with your speakers as it is designed without straining, clipping, running too hot, remaining stable etc., and produces good sonics with your speakers, then you have achieved synergy between your amp and speakers.
Erm. It's hard to imagine this being a problem.

I think you should perhaps reassess the reality of this term.

Edit: I'll just explain myself a little bit better. Every piece of gear is built to work in specific circumstances. You can overdrive anything by being stupid with its settings or by misunderstanding the specs vs. your requirements. In that sense synergy is a weird term. It seems to just mean, "Nothing's wrong."

My active speakers have synergy with their chip amps.

Top Bottom