• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LG Solution for Full-MQA

mk05

Forum Donor
While I understand the value and advantages of individual components, simplifying/consolidating is of higher priority for me - given that I am not losing too much quality. That said, there's quite a bit of literature on MQA, even if it's worthwhile, etc. So, please offer me some guidance in my quest to do the above.

I read that LG phone ie V40 will fully unfold MQA. Price of LG products is quite low for me, and allows me to be mobile instead of having to go to the item, ie USB-linked computer. So, it seems to me that I could use the LG phone as a DAC and player for MQA. Is there a sizable difference in quality from say, Topping D90 and an LG phone's DAC for MQA (or hi-res audio), once MQA is fully unfolded on phone, then transmitted via bluetooth to my SMSL M200 > XLR > amps > speakers? Will there be noticeable or significant loss here?
or
Is it better to buy SMSL M500 or (Topping equivalent) and a bluetooth receiver that connects to M500's coax? Stream MQA from my regular phone and have M500 fully unfold? Will I have similar loss from the bluetooth receiver > coax > M500? Or will it be similar resolution?

dashendorf

Use eBay, buy a V40 or V50. Only use it for wifi and Tidal. Use a moderately long cable for a direct connection to your amp. Be happy.

W1ll1eTheP1mp

While I understand the value and advantages of individual components, simplifying/consolidating is of higher priority for me - given that I am not losing too much quality. That said, there's quite a bit of literature on MQA, even if it's worthwhile, etc. So, please offer me some guidance in my quest to do the above.

I read that LG phone ie V40 will fully unfold MQA. Price of LG products is quite low for me, and allows me to be mobile instead of having to go to the item, ie USB-linked computer. So, it seems to me that I could use the LG phone as a DAC and player for MQA. Is there a sizable difference in quality from say, Topping D90 and an LG phone's DAC for MQA (or hi-res audio), once MQA is fully unfolded on phone, then transmitted via bluetooth to my SMSL M200 > XLR > amps > speakers? Will there be noticeable or significant loss here?
or
Is it better to buy SMSL M500 or (Topping equivalent) and a bluetooth receiver that connects to M500's coax? Stream MQA from my regular phone and have M500 fully unfold? Will I have similar loss from the bluetooth receiver > coax > M500? Or will it be similar resolution?

Hi! I am also considering buying a LG dac phone. Either the g7 measured here or LG v40/50. Torned between a portable dac/amp with MQA or these phones. Cheaapest MQA device i found was at Aliexpress at 60~70 usd. Usb dongle. So if anyone has a v40/50 or G7 maybe 8 (?) i want to heat what u think about it!

V40 still cost over 600 new i Norway and no one to buy in the used market, so im saving alot of money buying on ebay/amazon WITH shipping and 25%vat

PaulD

I have written this before, but MQA has been done to death and it is rubbish, if you want to know why then please look at the many many previous posts on ASR, which includes the following 2 pertinent external items:
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/163302855-is-mqa-doa
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/10/mqa-final-final-comment-simply-put-why.html#more

Properly conducted blind tests have shown that there is no audible advantage to MQA, and there are several technical disadvantages over commonly available 24/96 PCM.

mk05, the bluetooth link in your proposed setup will likely run the audio through a data compression and expansion process that may be as bad as MP3, or it may not be - it is difficulty to tell. If you want 24/96 quality playback you will probably need to have wired connection. However, for casual listening a wireless connection may be ok, it would be for about 50% of mine. You trade convenience fort quality, but the reduced quality may still be fine for casual listening.

OP
M

mk05

Forum Donor
I have written this before, but MQA has been done to death and it is rubbish...no audible advantage to MQA, and there are several technical disadvantages over commonly available 24/96 PCM.
Hey @PaulD - I have read the MQA thread and the respective bashing on either the technology or the person testing it, depending on who stood to gain. It was informative, and I did remind myself that I can't hear anything outside of 18Hz-17.6kHz anyway.:facepalm: Nevertheless, my current stance is that since I have MQA, I would rather have the ability to use it than not. As we like to say, "better to have than not need, than to need and not have." So all of my research and purchasing decisions are that of academic nature, and not of realistic value. Haha, but I do try to balance!
mk05, the bluetooth link in your proposed setup will likely run the audio through a data compression and expansion process that may be as bad as MP3, or it may not be - it is difficulty to tell.
The bluetooth convenience is for what you say - for friends to play some music. Does anyone know of a hi-res bluetooth receiver, if there is such a thing? Maybe does LDAC and aptX pro?
If you want 24/96 quality playback you will probably need to have wired connection.
I was originally hoping to dedicate an LG phone to connect to my DAC or miniDSP SHD Studio, but I don't think that will work given the lack of correct interconnect from a phone. Maybe buy an LG laptop and connect it to miniDSP SHD Studio via LAN? I think I am definitely buying the SHD Studio, but that renders another DAC rather useless given the above information regarding MQA...what is the component chain to final output that you recommend?

Thanks ASR

pirxel

Yeah I'd just get the phone. I have an smsl m500 and I'm happy, but I wonder if the difference is really that much from the m200 tbh...I have a gaming phone which, when I want a good listen, plug to a dragon fly red and it's decent, but I must say my mounth waters when I look at the new V series (I had a V10 and loved it). Those phones are great for music lovers.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
buy an LG laptop and connect it to miniDSP SHD Studio via LAN
I would be surprised if this works with MQA.

The last unfolding ( upsampling, minimum phase filter) is done by a DAC having a MQA licence.
It detects the MQA watermark.
If you do DSP like the miniDSP does, your probably "destroy" this watermark.

OP
M

mk05

Forum Donor
I was originally hoping to dedicate an LG phone to connect to my DAC or miniDSP SHD Studio
I would be surprised if this works with MQA.
For some reason, I thought I read that LG bought the MQA license to use in all products. Looks like just the cellphones. Even if I run the cellphone into SHD, it will most likely be bluetooth, and that's mainly bottlenecked at 16bit and 44kHz, so there's no point. Where are you VLC! o_O

If anyone has good bluetooth receiver into coax, please advise. I think I will be fine with either this or that for USB cable - unless I am wrong.

pirxel

For some reason, I thought I read that LG bought the MQA license to use in all products. Looks like just the cellphones. Even if I run the cellphone into SHD, it will most likely be bluetooth, and that's mainly bottlenecked at 16bit and 44kHz, so there's no point. Where are you VLC! o_O

If anyone has good bluetooth receiver into coax, please advise. I think I will be fine with either this or that for USB cable - unless I am wrong.
I don't think you can just buy this license like that. I hope they are doing that dac analysis and compensation thing they promise with MQA on some of their phones (or audio board/module they can use in several devices) and that's a good thing I guess. Any effort from phone companies to pack some better audio on their mobiles is highly appreciated here. Buying a phone that can do good audio in the west is a pain and LG (and maybe now defunct HTC for a short while) is the only one that brought this here (though my old and already dead V10 was imported from Korea when I was on a biz trip in the Philippines a few years ago).

I think bluetooth will get there, but the stuff I can get easily still don't sound good, so I'm wired all the way - I just use a KZ bt adapter cable on some tin t2 for the gym and cleaning around the house.

I'm also looking for a decent bluetooth with optical out to integrate into my system, but here in the EU I don't see anything for a decent price - you can however get some nice tiny boxes that promises to do it from Aliexpress, I'll order one of those some day...

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@mk05 You were doing well until you put Bluetooth into the mix. Separate MQA decoding from Bluetooth. Lets say, for the sake of arguing, you are streaming a 24/96 MQA "master" from Tidal. Through an app that can both decode MQA and then pass the decode to the onboard DAC withoit resampling (lets say USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP)). At the point the signal gets converted for transmission via Bluetooth, its resampling down to a level your Bluetooth can handle. Given that LDAC is about as good as it gets from a BT codec perspective and is capable of CD quality at best, you've lost all of the (alleged) benefit of MQA right there.

The tech angle I have probably mangled, but its simply impossible to transmit a hi-res / hi res MQA file via bluetooth preserving the full signal. It will play, but not at the full res of the source/ decoded file.

Last edited:
OP
M

mk05

Forum Donor
I know that wired is way better than wireless, EDITED (with LDAC not really providing any benefit over aptX HD specs at the moment). Bluetooth capabilities are for sake of convenience. Originally, the plan was LG V-phone > SMSL M200 for the integrated bluetooth function > amplifier > speakers, but I lose out on miniDSP function. I think I'd rather have miniDSP SHD, since I don't see the value prop of having both M200 and SHD.

Disclaimer above, would you guys say that this product looks ok for bluetooth receiving into SHD via coax? But this thing will process instead of SHD? Or process twice from the receiver to SHD to amplifier? How does that work.

Last edited:
OP
M

mk05

Forum Donor
Thanks, I was looking at LDAC 990 vs 660 while writing about LDAC 990 vs aptX HD. o_O Need more coffee.
1591904176812.png

1591904224936.png

What do you think about that ifi blue, @Vincent Kars? I was looking at it specifically for LDAC too, I need a break from looking at audio products for the day.

Dilliw

I've got the LG G7 and utilize either the internal Quad Dac or the Aptx-HD via a Bludento receiver. 90% of my files are 16/44.1 flac or wav and with my files if there's a difference I can't hear it. The output of the Bludento might have a little more output (PCM5102A) than the quad but once you adjust for that nothing. I've used Musicolet, Google, and the LG player and no perceived difference on the few 24 bit files that I have.

I would have loved for amir to have done this comparison when he reviewed the phone but he would have needed the receiver. No matter, if I can't don't know it's better than it's the same.

pirxel

I know that wired is way better than wireless, with LDAC not really providing any benefit over aptX HD specs at the moment. Bluetooth capabilities are for sake of convenience. Originally, the plan was LG V-phone > SMSL M200 for the integrated bluetooth function > amplifier > speakers, but I lose out on miniDSP function. I think I'd rather have miniDSP SHD, since I don't see the value prop of having both M200 and SHD.

Disclaimer above, would you guys say that this product looks ok for bluetooth receiving into SHD via coax? But this thing will process instead of SHD? Or process twice from the receiver to SHD to amplifier? How does that work.
I heard great things about the Zen DAC, I have no hands on experience, but seems like a top notch product, just weak-sauce headphone amp.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard great things about the Zen DAC, I have no hands on experience, but seems like a top notch product, just weak-sauce headphone amp.

Which makes it the audio equivalent of a Ferrari back end glued to a Ford Fiesta front end? Or possibly the other way round . Neither of which makes for a wholly prize winning product. Not questioning its absolute value, but the consumer world relies too much on the headline over the detailed findings.

EDIT Terrible analogy from drunk me there. But a DAC/amp with a weak amp is, to me, basically just a DAC

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

I know that wired is way better than wireless, EDITED (with LDAC not really providing any benefit over aptX HD specs at the moment). Bluetooth capabilities are for sake of convenience. Originally, the plan was LG V-phone > SMSL M200 for the integrated bluetooth function > amplifier > speakers, but I lose out on miniDSP function. I think I'd rather have miniDSP SHD, since I don't see the value prop of having both M200 and SHD.

The iFi Zen Blue is purpose-designed as a BT-receiver-streamer seems to fit your needs well. Looks like a pretty good quality product, uses newest Qualcomm 5100 series Bluetooth chip, has high rating on Amazon based on many users, but is unavailable at the current time on Amazon US.

Not sure what the iFi Zen Blue is putting out over coax, or why you want to send coax to your SHD. Is it in order to enable DSP on the SHD? Or is it for higher quality of sound? Can the SHD take analog input and convert it to digital for purposes of DSP? If you want the coax only for higher sound quality, then I think you are already limited by the D-to-A conversion that likely happens in connection with Bluetooth.

Some DAPs might also do the trick for you. The $200 HiBy R3 Pro looks like it has S/PDIF output through its 3.5mm jack. But it may not be able to do Bluetooth to S/PDIF out. It might only do WiFi to S/PDIF out. Gotta research it.

OP
M

mk05

Forum Donor
The iFi Zen Blue is purpose-designed as a BT-receiver-streamer seems to fit your needs well. Looks like a pretty good quality product, uses newest Qualcomm 5100 series Bluetooth chip, has high rating on Amazon based on many users, but is unavailable at the current time on Amazon US.

Not sure what the iFi Zen Blue is putting out over coax, or why you want to send coax to your SHD. Is it in order to enable DSP on the SHD? Or is it for higher quality of sound? Can the SHD take analog input and convert it to digital for purposes of DSP? If you want the coax only for higher sound quality, then I think you are already limited by the D-to-A conversion that likely happens in connection with Bluetooth.

Some DAPs might also do the trick for you. The $200 HiBy R3 Pro looks like it has S/PDIF output through its 3.5mm jack. But it may not be able to do Bluetooth to S/PDIF out. It might only do WiFi to S/PDIF out. Gotta research it.
Thank you on the 3 points. I think for times when I need the bluetooth convenience, iFi will do just fine. That said, regarding your second point on coax...I don't really know how the processing works :facepalm:.

I definitely would like for the miniDSP to process, and I assumed coax was best since I will most likely purchase the SHD Studio, and the optical will be taken up by the TV input. Maybe there is a bluetooth receiver with XLR output? Or is it better to connect bluetooth receiver by the RCA? I don't mind buying SHD instead of the digital-only Studio version if that is the only way for miniDSP to control the processing. The upcharge is not significant.

As for DAP, I'll probably stick with LG since it fully unfolds MQA. Seems easy and USB C to USB 2.0B works. I'm not very keen on ethernet streaming.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Thank you on the 3 points. I think for times when I need the bluetooth convenience, iFi will do just fine. That said, regarding your second point on coax...I don't really know how the processing works :facepalm:.

I definitely would like for the miniDSP to process, and I assumed coax was best since I will most likely purchase the SHD Studio, and the optical will be taken up by the TV input. Maybe there is a bluetooth receiver with XLR output? Or is it better to connect bluetooth receiver by the RCA? I don't mind buying SHD instead of the digital-only Studio version if that is the only way for miniDSP to control the processing. The upcharge is not significant.

As for DAP, I'll probably stick with LG since it fully unfolds MQA. Seems easy and USB C to USB 2.0B works. I'm not very keen on ethernet streaming.

I think I understand now where you are coming at this from. I was confused about why you wanted coax output from a BT receiver. Also, on re-reading my previous post, I realize that paras two and three are ambiguous and as a result likely confused you; my fault and I apologize for not being explicit. When I wrote "Not sure what the iFi Zen Blue is putting out over coax", I was puzzling about the quality of the signal, not the format. Definitely the iFi is outputting S/PDIF over 3.5mm coax which is basically PCM limited to 24-bit 96kHz, IIRC. It should be perfectly compatible with the coax input on the SHD Studio and SHD. Also, when I mentioned the HiBy R3 Pro, I meant it as an alternative to the iFi Zen Blue, and not to the LG. The R3 Pro has two-way BT including LDAC and UAT, and can receive BT/WiFi and output S/PDIF over coax to the miniDSP (though this needs to be verified).

As I understand it now, you have settled on an LG premium phone for its low cost to you, its all-in-one convenience, its fairly good DACs and its full MQA unfolding capability. I should have kept your thread title in mind LOL. Also, you have settled on a miniDSP SHD Studio for its DSP/Dirac features, but might consider a miniDSP SHD instead for its added analog input capabilities. I understand that when you want the highest SQ, you can connect the LG directly to the SHD Studio using a USB-C to USB 2.0B cable, but you also want to use Bluetooth with best possible SQ at other times, for convenience. I understand now that you wanted to have coax out on the BT receiver for compatibility with the SHD Studio, and not necessarily for higher quality of sound versus analog out, though you would like to maximize the SQ as well. I did not previously know anything about miniDSP, but I took a look at the back panel I/O of the two models on the miniDSP site, and now I understand.

I am not sure what the equivalent uncompressed PCM datarate is for 320 kbps MP3 with today's encoders, but it is higher than 320 kbps and less than 16bit/44.1kHz of CDs, closer to the latter. The audible significance, and even the very audibility of (EDIT: sound quality differences due to) anything higher than the PCM equivalent of 320 kbps MP3 is a contentious topic, and I will let you fret about it. I will speak only of datarates and SINADs.

As member PaulD pointed out, the sonic and other benefits of MQA are questionable, but I quite understand that you already have access to MQA and want to hedge your bets. Incidentally, HiBy tout their new R8 DAP as able to do 16X MQA unfold, which I have never heard of before. One version of the R8 can also stream data/music over its own 4G connection. Of course, the R8 will cost more than the miniDSP SHD and more than the LG phone, LOL.

If you listen to MQA-encoded music just on your LG V40, with earphones/headphones or a Line Out to an amp, the LG will according to you do a full MQA unfold to a puzzle of a MQA bitrate and convert to analog using the LG V40's ES9218P DACs, giving you an output electrical signal and a SINAD of up to 112 dB at the phone's audio jack. Also on your LG phone, you can listen to non-MQA FLAC/DSD up to 32-bit 384 kHz PCM and DSD512 bitrates (which of course blow away the MQA bitrate) by virtue of the same ES9218P DACs, also giving you a SINAD of up to 112 dB in the analog electrical signal.

The right streaming/playback software on your LG V40 or your computer can perform the MQA decoding of MQA-FLAC to PCM with embedded folded MQA data, which you can output to a Topping D90 MQA via USB. By doing this also, you can get a hardware full MQA unfold (upsample, filter and render) with its mystery bitrate, and get an electrical analog out from the D90 to your amp with a SINAD of 120.5 at the D90's audio jacks. With non-MQA PCM files, the D90 and D90 MQA can process up to 32bit/768kHz input with an analog output signal SINAD of 120.5, well beyond a guaranteed audible transparency threshold of 116 dB.

The miniDSP that you need in the path to do DSP/Dirac Live changes the picture. Both miniDSPs resample digital streams internally to 32bit/96kHz, although they can accept up to 192kHz digital input signals. The miniDSP SHD additionally uses an AK5574 ADC chip, with a 32bit/768kHz sampling rate and SINAD of 112 dB, to convert analog input signals to digital PCM streams; so the ADC quality is more than adequate to match the internal 32/96 digital bitrate. Of course, the DSP and Dirac alter the SINAD of the signal, but this is desirable distortion that you need to correct the acoustic room resonance distortions. Both miniDSPs are non MQA-capable and so cannot do unfolding of MQA. Neither miniDSP can do a bit-perfect pass-through (if they could, why are they in the path at all?) of a digital stream.

As member Vincent Kars pointed out in post #7, passing a (decoded) MQA-PCM stream through the miniDSP would destroy the MQA watermark. Thus, no hardware unfolding of the MQA-PCM is possible by a MQA-capable DAC placed downstream of either miniDSP and fed by the latter's digital output. In this scenario of a digital stream decoded to MQA-PCM, but not hardware-unfolded, and passed through a miniDSP, the digital output stream of the miniDSP would have a PCM bitrate that MQA claims is slightly better than CD quality but most expert commentators say is slightly worse than CD quality 16/44.1.

Therefore, with a miniDSP in the path, the only remaining option to get the benefit of hardware MQA unfolding is to do it with a MQA-capable DAC upstream of the miniDSP. This could be done entirely in the LG V40 or with the LG V40 + Topping D90 combination described in previous paras, resulting in an analog line output signal that requires the more expensive full miniDSP SHD version with analog inputs rather than just the digital I/O-only SHD Studio version (unless a ADC is applied to the analog signal to get a digital signal, which is what happens with Bluetooth). The output signal from the SHD would then be equivalent to a max bitrate of 32/96 and a max SINAD of 112 dB.

Inserting Bluetooth into the path once again changes the picture, as pointed out by members PaulD, pirxel, Jimbob54 and Vincent Kars. Bluetooth resampling for the selected BT encoding scheme will destroy the MQA watermark, and so any hardware MQA unfolding must be done upstream of the Bluetooth segment of the path. The Bluetooth effective datarate will also act to limit the max quality of the signal, depending on the codec used. WiFi streaming may be better in this regard, and may even be able to preserve the MQA-PCM bitstream (unlikely though).

If you are able to do LDAC BT with its 990kbps bitrate, you may get close to 24/96 PCM bitrate quality BT streaming. Otherwise you are stuck with aptX HD and roughly CD quality PCM bitrate streaming. It indeed seems like the iFi Zen Blue you found and linked is a good option as a BT receiver, save for its current scarcity/unavailability. In this case, since the iFi has a S/PDIF coaxial output, you do not need the full SHD, you can stick with the SHD Studio instead and save yourself some money. Your chain would be LG V40 MQA decode and full unfold, BT to iFi ZB, coax to SHD Studio, opt/coax output to your amp or active speakers. Your overall electrical signal will have the equivalent of a 16/48 (aptX HD) or 24/96 (LDAC) PCM bitrate, and whatever SINAD the Bluetooth resampling cuts the LG's 112 dB down to. If you use the analog output of the iFi ZB instead of the optical/coax, the SINAD drops to about a mediocre 96 dB for a hard-to-fathom reason. Hopefully, the optical and coax digital outputs do not suffer any such degradation. EDIT: In case the S/PDIF optical and coax outputs of the iFi ZB are not up to par, the HiBy R3 Pro might be a high-quality alternative. Alternative devices are BT receivers such as member Vincent Kars linked to: FiiO BTR5, Shanling UP4, Qudelix 5K. But these would give you analog outputs, and require you to get the full SHD instead of the SHD Studio.

Last edited:
Top Bottom