• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS EL II+ Amp or Topping A90?

Liberte

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum, which I came across when researching a new headphone amp/monitor controller. I recently picked up a turntable, after years of listening to music through an audiolab M-DAC which has no analog in, so a separate headphone amp/controller seemed like the best option.

I started looking at Schiit but they're unavailable in my country, which then led to the JDS Labs EL II and Topping A90. I understand the A90 is perhaps unanimously regarded as superior, I'm just wondering to what extent? They both have great reviews and sure they would both satisfy, I'm just not sure if I should stretch to the higher upgrade of the A90 sooner rather than later.

If I went with the A90 I can see eventually adding a Topping DAC and letting go of the M-DAC. If I went for the JDS I would also probably add the EL DAC II, although would have to keep the M-DAC due to the limited outputs and lack of remote for the JDS.

Thanks for any advice, I imagine a few of you have tried some or all of these headphone amps/DACs so will be more informed than myself.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What headphones will you use?

Topping L50, A30pro or A50S are probably enough, no need to spend the extra money for the A90.

OP
L

Liberte

I currently use Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm, Focal Elex OEMs and Beyerdynamic Soul Byrd, Moondrop Starfield IEMs. I also use Focal Shape 65 studio monitors.

I have the elDac 2 but not the plus and I am currently using it with the coax hookup and the source is a Auris Audifi. It is a very pleasing sound in comparison to the dac built in or a entry level topping Dac.

Human Bass

I currently use Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm, Focal Elex OEMs and Beyerdynamic Soul Byrd, Moondrop Starfield IEMs. I also use Focal Shape 65 studio monitors.
None of those seem hard to drive. The A90 is certainly overkill

I have the elDac 2 but not the plus and I am currently using it with the coax hookup and the source is a Auris Audifi. It is a very pleasing sound in comparison to the dac built in or a entry level topping Dac.
I just realized that I read the thread title incorrectly and I am not using the amp . Sorry for my confusion.

asrUser

I started looking at Schiit but they're unavailable in my country
Why are they unavailable? You just import them from the US. Don't ignore them. They have great value for their price. Speaking about Asgard, Jotunheim and a stack of Modi & Magni 3+.

OP
L

Liberte

Yes the Asgard was very attractive in all areas. Import fees are quite expensive for electronics, still when the value of Schiit products is taken into account it probably works out good value anyway.

In the end I went with the JDS EL II+ as it suits what I'd like very well and has great objective (ASR tests) and subjective reviews. I now would only like to add a DAC as it's such a nice headphone amp and interface I'd like to use it outside of only vinyl listening.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
What about a JDS Labs Element III ?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I would have gone with this but it has no analog inputs, the Element II did have them but is now discontinued. I went with the EL II+ Amp and am very happy with it.
I just looked at it too and the element III doesn't have analog inputs. Sucks, it is also pretty pricey.
They should have kept the II around considering that it does have analog inputs.

Top Bottom