• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there weird distortion in this track, or is it my speakers??

ronnzi

Hi, everyone.

Can someone with an Apple TV hooked up to at least a 5.1 AVR over HDMI help me out here. I noticed a weird buzzing in my center channel tweeter today when I was test listen to the Dolby Atmos track “No Tears Left to Cry” by Arianna Grande. I think the weird buzzing is in the track itself, but it’s so strange that I want to make sure. I think I started hearing it around the 2:00 mark in the song, and it pops back in throughout in various sections of the song.

At first it totally sounded like an issue with my center speaker, but since I have a MiniDSP, I rerouted the center channel do one of my towers and the same buzz comes from the tweeter while playing it there too. I tried picking it up on headphones to see if it’s there, but I think it needs to be divided channel by channel to really tell.

Is there anyway someone could check this? If you need me to later, I can make a video so you can hear it, though I think anyone that tests it will notice it (crosses fingers).

Thanks!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Need the proper link to this song. So we are all on the same page.

OP
R

ronnzi

Hah, the more I test it, the more I’m convinced it’s the track, but it’s just a weird buzz that it would be nice if someone else confirmed they hear something weird coming from the center tweeter in this track too

OP
R

ronnzi

Need the proper link to this song. So we are all on the same page.
It’s Ariana Grande - No Tear Left to Cry, specifically on Apple Music in Dolby Atmos. I’m not sure how to link it, but it’s the only Dolby Atmos version of the song on the platform, as far as I’m aware.

OP
R

ronnzi

It’s most noticeable in the center channel when playing in 5.1 Dolby Atmos (that’s where I noticed it).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The video you posted plays to the 1:30 mark and then stops.

OP
R

ronnzi

Thanks for trying. Hmm, that’s the only way I’m able to share it through Apple Music, unfortuantely. It must just let you demo the song.

If someone can play this track on an Apple TV in Dolby Atmos using a 5.1 system to check the center specifically, that will be the best way to check it anyways.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Hah, the more I test it, the more I’m convinced it’s the track, but it’s just a weird buzz that it would be nice if someone else confirmed they hear something weird coming from the center tweeter in this track too
show me picture of your set up

OP
R

ronnzi

show me picture of your set up
Not sure what I picture would show. It isn’t a setup issue or anything - I guess I answered my own question after going through all of this, but it would just be nice if someone else that is able to play the Apple Music Dolby Atmos encode of the song could verify that they get the same weird tweeter distortions coming from the center channel for some peace of mind.

I called the speaker manufacturer up, and given that I was able to reproduce the issue on two separate speakers, they said it’s more than likely a problem with the song encode. I’d record the sound and find away to upload it, but at this point, I’d rather not keep playing the song if there’s any chance of it doing damage.

OP
R

ronnzi

FYI - I think I’m able to pick out the buzzing in the lossless track via headphones now as well, though it’s not as noticeable/loud as with the Dolby Atmos track in the center channel, since it’s not divided up by channel.

At around the 1:45-1:50 mark or so I’m able to pick it up on my headphones.

It seems like it’s just a poorly encoded track.

Top Bottom