• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there still have an appetite for Raspberry Pi since the silicon famine when chips were off the menu?

DilbertPugh

I was delighted to seen that Allo is back in the fight and their products have largely returned to stock at Audiotronics or will be arriving in the next few weeks.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/search?search_query=allo

It felt like seeing green shoots on a plant I’d all but given up hope of surviving the winter.

My two USBridge Streamers have been rock solid for a year now and belie the idea that they’re high maintainance.

Admittedly, I use Ropieeeeee with Roon which is a Plug and Play as it gets but how do others feel, is there a future for Pi audio or has it become old ’hat’?

Have our heads irrevocably been turned by curvy floozies in slinky outfits? (looking at you Zen Stream!)

staticV3

Master Contributor
is there a future for Pi audio or has it become old ’hat’?
Still looks pretty grim to me tbh:
Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 01.10.44.png

A hat is no use if the Pi itself continues to be unobtanium.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is getting better - I've regularly been checking

Until a couple of weeks ago, there were only availablity of a few devices every two or three days (globally) - and they sold out almost instantly. There have now been consistent availability of 3A's and Zeros for about two weeks.

Still a way to go, but in Jan/Feb, the foundation were confident on supplies returning to normal from middle of this year or so.

Barrelhouse Solly

As mentioned above, rpilocator is massively useful. I got a Zero W a few days ago at list from a licensed dealer. I've bought a couple of 3A+ and a Zero 2W in the past year or so. I really have enough. In my mothball fleet I have a 2B and a 3B and currently have mumble mumble newer Pis in service, all primarily for audio.

As mentioned above, rpilocator is massively useful.
NOT!
Until a couple of weeks ago, there were only availablity of a few devices every two or three days (globally) - and they sold out almost instantly.
yes

The scammers have attacked this market.
If you check how many 1000s have appeared on the market,- shed loads went to scalpers in PRC.

It's an easy way to make a killing.
Just mark up the chips 100% and stick them back on EBAY without them even having to leave UK/Europe etc.

RP foundation know the problem and can do sweet FA about it.

Last edited:

JonP

Maybe there won't be a shortage of them on the market soon, maybe RPi foundation can do something to change the current price scalping situation by doing so?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe there won't be a shortage of them on the market soon, maybe RPi foundation can do something to change the current price scalping situation by doing so?
Right - as I pointed out above :). Clearly the foundation are still expecting to solve that problem as promised. I'm hoping they strand some of the scalpers with stock they can't shift as they do it:D

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are probably cooler, more efficient ARM chips for which we could expect Linux/ROPIEE builds. I would hope.

CM4 runs off a 12V battery or anything up to 32V.

I checked and takes all of 300-400m/a.
That way it will run in a car for a week without the battery being dead.
How much more economy do you need than a 12V light bulb?

I see loads of rubbish talked about the RPi.
Compared with anything intel etc it's a perfect IOT device.

Try running Intel AMD or anything else off a UPS.
Good luck.

JonP

Right - as I pointed out above :). Clearly the foundation are still expecting to solve that problem as promised. I'm hoping they strand some of the scalpers with stock they can't shift as they do it:D
Yep... Now, we'll have to see, because a CEO promise, and a target met, haven't always been the case. But I'd doubt after all this he'd make a statement like that if it wasn't very likely on track. Here's to some scalpers getting the short! And stores getting some stock!

JonP

CM4 runs off a 12V battery or anything up to 32V.

I checked and takes all of 300-400m/a.
That way it will run in a car for a week without the battery being dead.
How much more economy do you need than a 12V light bulb?

I see loads of rubbish talked about the RPi.
Compared with anything intel etc it's a perfect IOT device.

Try running Intel AMD or anything else off a UPS.
Good luck.
I agree that that Pi's are amazing and amazingly affordable. And staying below 5W (just barely for the 4). There are also a few Intel options that are pretty low power, compared w most PC/server options, while remaining fairly powerful, and an extra step up from the Pi's.

Example... Zotac, and others a while back, Intel NUC's... with the first fanless mini PC boxes. I have run a pretty old CI327 with a 4 core N3450 as a home router firewall... takes about 8-10W.

Several other brands out there these days, Chinese and US, with newer chips in the 6W-15W thermal class. Just now, some next gen chips are showing up in these, like the N95, N100, N300 family, in the same very low power class, but abt 3X the cpu power of my old chip.

All of these are wayyyyyy overkill for just a music server.... but for your case where you want it to be a NFS to copy and serve files, it could do that and transcode and play movies, and be your music transport.... and still be loafing most of the time.

And of course cost a couple hundred $... so hard to compare it to a Pi in that regard. All depends on your needs.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did change yesterday my RPi 3b Kodi OS to 20.1. As before running high resolution files up to 192khz flawlesly as a streamer for my HDD making use of bluethoot between my Sony WH-1000XM2 (LDAC codec) headphone an Kodi server. Running Android 12 on my mobile phone. So for headphone use House Wide to power up a slow power hungery laptop/ desktop is not needed any more. Bought the used RPi 3b about 3 years ago for less than 20,- euro's.
:facepalm:

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some sort of sad owl?

When playwright William Shakespeare asked the question, “What's in a name?” in Romeo and Juliet, he was referring to the idea that names themselves are a convention to distinguish things or people, but themselves do not have any worth or meaning:)

Andysu

Major Contributor
chips off the menu , i had fish and chips last no week
chez fred's best fish and chips i take my cat with me also
348839376_648722926585794_5577966910950792717_n.jpg

Top Bottom