• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the Ety Er4sr an upgrade from Er3se?

Fregly

I am enjoying the E3 and am curious about the E4. There is a rumor the difference is simply higher resistance giving extra treble to the Er4sr. I don't think both use the same drivers, do they? One reviewer claims more refinement and openness in the E4. Anyone owned or compared both?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, no direct experience. I have read that they share the same tuning and that sonic differences are minor but that is only from reading reviews and listening to opinions. I can say that the ER4SR is a superb pair of IEMs and I would recommend them 100% but whether they are a worthwhile upgrade over the 3 in sonic terms I can't say.

OP
F

Fregly

I haven't come across anyone who has owned both and compared in detail. ClavinetJunkie has both and seems to regard the E4 (xr versions) as an upgrade, though he does not state it clearly so. You have to make a bit of an inference. I suspect I'll grab it anyway.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was very fortunate in that a friend loaned me a pair of ER4SRs for an extended test (I paid for a new set of Christmas tree tips) which allowed me to properly decide whether they were right for me. In the case of Etymotics I think that is very helpful as the sound signature is not one which jumps out and screams "buy me!" in the way of models with the classic V tuning and also the deep insertion is something that really needs to be tried to see if it is something people can live with. Given that I'd had a couple of weeks with a pair and also had the opportunity of a great B stock offer I just went straight for the ER4SRs. They're a lovely pair of IEMs, nicely made from quality materials without being showy or ostentatious and with a sound signature that is compelling one you make an adjustment for the accurate and neutral tuning. I was initially interested for the sound isolation as I travel a lot and after using noise cancelling headphones for a while decided to give passive noise isolating IEMs a try, but I'm finding that they're now my go to headphones at home and that after growing into them other models I own are too bright or bassy.

OP
F

Fregly

I am finding my brain is still adjusting to them. As in yesterday I listened to Perahia/Mozart piano concertos and initially the sound seemed cupped and claustrophobic, off, then a few minutes in it all came together and the piano was the best I've ever heard it, and I could differentiate the orchestral parts with amazing clarity.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that the Etymotics are perfect for classical music, as classical recordings have tended to avoid the sort of compression and bass boost of many rock and pop recordings. Most of the music I listen to is symphonic or operatic and the detail and accuracy of the Etymotics is perfect for this music I think. One thing is that they don't sugarcoat poor quality recordings, but it's not really the fault of the Etymotics if they highlight poor recording quality. If you like classical music and enjoy an accurate sound and are comfortable with deep insertion IEMs I'd recommend the ER4SR 100%. They're not cheap, but they are superb and compared to the sort of statement models that are proliferating they could probably be described as a bargain.

OP
F

Fregly

Well the Er3 has static distortion coming from the right side. At first it seemed to be from the Topping DX3. I am going to see if Etymotic will give me a credit towards the Er4sr in exchange and I'll be able to see if it really is an upgrade.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
They should have used the same driver. Or at least technically the same drivers. Why er4 is more expensive is because they are hand matched. There was measurements proved that er3 will be exactly the same as er4 with correct amount of resistance added.
But I recommend er2se, it has lower distortion and deeper but flat bass.

OP
F

Fregly

Thanks John. I will get the Er2se instead then. Saves me some money as a bonus. How much resistance should be added to the Er3?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks John. I will get the Er2se instead then. Saves me some money as a bonus. How much resistance should be added to the Er3?
Theoretically 20 ohm. Practically 33-100 would work.

OP
F

Fregly

Disconnecting the cable and reconnecting seems to have stopped the static. Cleaned around the nozzle as well, if that did it. Every time I listen to these Etys I like them more, which is a relief after getting a succession of garbage iems.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read that the ER3 sounds pretty much the same as the ER4 if you use adapters to add more resistance. If you are on a budget that is probably the way to go, on the other hand the ER4 avoids having to bother with additional adapters and they are very nicely made. Given the performance and feel of quality I think the ER4SR/XR are fairly priced, they're not cheap but I think they do offer good value. Nicely accessorised too, I see a lot of comments around the web criticising the hardshell case for being too big but I find it is ideal as it also holds my M3s DAP safely and slips into my lap top rucksack without taking much space.

Top Bottom