• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IEM bass re: head position/angle

Twelvetone

I couldn't find a discussion of this, so apologies if it's been covered.

Like so many, I done sprung for a pair of the 7hz Zero's on the strength of Amrim's exc review; they are indeed impressive. These are my first IEMs, and I notice an odd phenomenon: with my head positioned as if gazing at or below the horizon, all is well; if I tilt my head up the bass rapidly goes away, until if looking up at perhaps 20-30deg (or more) everything below about 200 Hz is effectively gone. It's a pretty sudden change; not quite an either/or switch, but pretty damned close.

Is this a thing, as the young folks say? Or is it peculiar to my outer/middle/eustachian architecture?

TIA for any knowledge.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try using larger tips if your seal isn't maintaining. Sonicfoam tips will really seal well. They flex sometimes, like if you yawn and hear the bass drop off, just move to the next larger tip size.

OP
T

Twelvetone

I don't think it's a tip/seal problem (though I could be wrong); I mean, merely tilting my head up through a few degrees doesn't feel as if it distorts the pinna/opening at all.... . Feels more like something internal; was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar; theories. FWIW, am already using the largest supplied tip (yellow); big head, big ears. Thanks for checking in.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

I have experienced the same both with my Zero blue and the Hola. I listened mostly to the Zero in bed. There is a change in the tonal balance when I move my head up or when I lay down completely. With time and experience I am now able to mitigate the effect. Wearing IEM, for me, has been a learning curve, It took time to get a comfortable and consistent experience. I am glad I persisted, as, at this time, I am enjoying listening to music on IEM, much more than any headphone I have had.

Top Bottom