• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ice Cubes. For my Rusty Nail.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It’s disappointing, quite frankly, to pay for the high cost of the delicious ingredients of a drink like this, after having visited Edinburgh and purchased surname engraved emblem endorsed (I’m a Campbell) crystal imbibementware … only to see the resulting drink polluted with cloudy ice cubes.

Has anyone here figured out how to conveniently produce crystal clear ice cubes in a common freezer?

I see commercial ice cube trays to do this, costing crazy amounts.

One site says to 1/2 freeze a cooler full of water and break up the top floating layer.

In the name of pleasure, let’s fix this for all.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ice cube production @ home miffs me too. I clean the ice cube tray and then rinse with hot water, cool and fill with cold water and put in freezer and upon removal from said freezer and twisting the tray to loosen the cubes 1 tray shatters the cubes and the other makes nice symmetrical identical cubes. I'm used to using a bar ice cube maker. Nice cold shiny clear cubes but not at home.

TimW

Major Contributor
I have used clear ice ball makers like these before. Also another kind with smaller silicone sleeves. There are also cube shaped ones available. It definitely works for me, I think the key is the silicone surface and the insulation. The silicone probably doesn't stick to air bubbles as well and the insulation prevents the water from freezing before the bubbles escape.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Plcamp and howdy to a possible cousin etc. I have a Scottish surname too and it is reputed to be originating from the North West of Scotland and according to the Campbell heat map your ancestors where too.
Campbell heat map>>>
Campbell_surname_map.png

OP
Plcamp

Plcamp

@Plcamp and howdy to a possible cousin etc. I have a Scottish surname too and it is reputed to be originating from the North West of Scotland and according to the Campbell heat map your ancestors where too.
Campbell heat map>>>
Campbell_surname_map.png
If it’s nay Scottish…it’s crap!

We actually visited Castle Campbell (between the burn or sorrow and the burn of care). I would say it felt like home except the roof and several walls were gone. I have traced my name via ancestry, got to Canada via Ireland!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a fairly simple explanation in the factors that let ice form which is clear. The main factor is directional freezing. The problem with ice trays is they freeze from the outside toward the middle. I've seen some commercial ice makers that have metal trays and barely freezing temp water which recirculates and flows over these trays in thin streams. Presumably to let the ice freeze in directional layers. When the ice has formed it flips over and dumps the ice starting the process again.

Lots of products to make this on Amazon. Some even look like they might work. Search for "clear ice maker."

OP
Plcamp

Plcamp

I have used clear ice ball makers like these before. Also another kind with smaller silicone sleeves. There are also cube shaped ones available. It definitely works for me, I think the key is the silicone surface and the insulation. The silicone probably doesn't stick to air bubbles as well and the insulation prevents the water from freezing before the bubbles escape.
I think they all work by constraining thermal flow in one direction…and allowing gas escape in the other direction.

But if that were true, then simply insulating the top of a regular ice cube tray would work? I don’t quite get the ‘secret’ yet.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
According to one of several videos youtube decided to put in my stream recently, it seems it's something you can achieve fairly easy using an insulated steel cup (or even a small ice chest). This is one of 'em
Haven't tried it tho

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s disappointing, quite frankly, to pay for the high cost of the delicious ingredients of a drink like this, after having visited Edinburgh and purchased surname engraved emblem endorsed (I’m a Campbell) crystal imbibementware … only to see the resulting drink polluted with cloudy ice cubes.

Has anyone here figured out how to conveniently produce crystal clear ice cubes in a common freezer?

I see commercial ice cube trays to do this, costing crazy amounts.

One site says to 1/2 freeze a cooler full of water and break up the top floating layer.

In the name of pleasure, let’s fix this for all.
This maybe completely wrong but I was told to use hot water in the trays. Result equals clear ice. I don’t recal who told me or if I ever tried it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think they all work by constraining thermal flow in one direction…and allowing gas escape in the other direction.

But if that were true, then simply insulating the top of a regular ice cube tray would work? I don’t quite get the ‘secret’ yet.
Well, look at the things available on Amazon. They don't insulate the top, but rather the bottom. So freezing can proceed in a thin layer from top down in a direction.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If it’s nay Scottish…it’s crap!

We actually visited Castle Campbell (between the burn or sorrow and the burn of care). I would say it felt like home except the roof and several walls were gone. I have traced my name via ancestry, got to Canada via Ireland!
O cool. I traced my "Mc" name to early 1400's to the McLeods area of Northern Scotland. I think my surname is a sept name and not a clan name.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Big chunks of ice keep it cold without watering it down, having less surface area per volume. Cubes work but spherical is better.
This maybe completely wrong but I was told to use hot water in the trays. Result equals clear ice. I don’t recal who told me or if I ever tried it.
Hot water should work, since it takes longer to freeze, giving dissolved air time to off-gas. But I never noticed a difference using hot water. Along that theory, perhaps fill the molds and let them sit overnight before freezing them. One thing that does work for me is to fill the ice molds as a slow trickle, so the water is less oxygenated. And to use filtered water from a pitcher, instead of from the tap/faucet. I don't get clear ice, but it's more clear than otherwise.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Water that has been boiled makes clearer ice cubes for sure. Also, not placing the ice cube trays in the holder/slide as that is right near the vent from the fan/coils in the freezer. They freeze from the outer surfaces instead of being taken down slowly.

Put the trays in one of the drawers/lower shelves and let them freeze slowly.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Plcamp

Plcamp

Water that has been boiled makes clearer ice cubes for sure. Also, not placing the ice cube trays in the holder/slide as that is right near the vent from the fan/coils in the freezer. They freeze from the outer surfaces instead of being taken down slowly.

Put the trays in one of the drawers/lower shelves and let them freeze slowly.
I tried that, it made a slight difference in that the layer on top was clear about 30% of the depth…then I saw someone on YouTube say…boil it twice!

I will try that, and also try I) just insulating the top and II) insulate all but the top

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A few drops perhaps, but ice? We making margaritas here?
Some people like all their drinks cold. If they're paying for the whiskey, I'm fine with that ;)

Top Bottom