• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap Desktop All-around Speakers - Edifier R1380BT vs R1700BT vs MR4

westford832

Hello, I'm looking for something better than my laptop speakers for when I don't feel like wearing headphones (summer and with it swamp ears are coming). The most common recommendations aren't really sold here but edifiers are and they're pretty well priced (Equivalent of 88$ for 1380BT, 105 for R1700BT and 109 for MR4).

Will be mostly used for music with mediocre masters, sometimes first person shooters and youtube, etc, at lower volume, maybe slightly above conversational. I don't really care about Bluetooth, etc. Not much info on the 1380BT but opinions on the other 2 are polarizing: some say they much prefer the R1700, others the MR4 so I'm a bit unsure. Also after browsing this forum for a bit it looks like the mr4 had a revision at some point so that makes things harder to track still.

MR4 look like the better speaker to me but have smaller cabinets, are rear ported (They'll be right up against a window, I don't know how much of an issue it'd be) and somewhat ugly, compared to the other 2, so I can't make up my mind.

Thoughts?

PS: Source is nothing groundbreaking in case it matters, just a redbook-quality FLAC collection and a meizu dongle.

Last edited:

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
You may want to take a look at the Kanto YU series. The build quality is better and many people like them as desktop speakers.

OP
W

westford832

You may want to take a look at the Kanto YU series. The build quality is better and many people like them as desktop speakers.
Only place that sells them here has them listed at nearly 300$ per pair, I don't really wanna spend 3x.

Citizen

These are pretty good.

Few input options including BT, if you want a bit more you could go for these,

They also have a headphone output as well which is quite handy.

If later down the line you wish to add a sub they have you covered to,

The presonus stuff is pretty decent for desktop and playing games and likely a big step up from the edifier stuff which is not that great really.

Kjasonl

Hello, I'm looking for something better than my laptop speakers for when I don't feel like wearing headphones (summer and with it swamp ears are coming). The most common recommendations aren't really sold here but edifiers are and they're pretty well priced (Equivalent of 88$ for 1380BT, 105 for R1700BT and 109 for MR4).

Will be mostly used for music with mediocre masters, sometimes first person shooters and youtube, etc, at lower volume, maybe slightly above conversational. I don't really care about Bluetooth, etc. Not much info on the 1380BT but opinions on the other 2 are polarizing: some say they much prefer the R1700, others the MR4 so I'm a bit unsure. Also after browsing this forum for a bit it looks like the mr4 had a revision at some point so that makes things harder to track still.

MR4 look like the better speaker to me but have smaller cabinets, are rear ported (They'll be right up against a window, I don't know how much of an issue it'd be) and somewhat ugly, compared to the other 2, so I can't make up my mind.

Thoughts?

PS: Source is nothing groundbreaking in case it matters, just a redbook-quality FLAC collection and a meizu dongle.
I have a set of Edifier mr-4. I like em. Run them with my Audio Engine d-1. Occasionally, they're on sale on the big A. U used the 30$ savings to buy RCA to 1/4 cables to use the balanced inputs that the mr-4 has. Not sure if it makes a difference. Presonus are liked as well. Id recommend the Edifiers. MR-4 also has a monitor mode. 130$. I've had good luck with them.

Last edited:
OP
W

westford832

Kinda forgot about this thread after a few days but in the end I decided to go with R1700BT, found an open-box pair with a tiny scratch near the knobs area for 88$ (with VAT). I was torn between MR4 and R1700BT, and it seemed like the choice was either a nicer speaker overall or an older model with more power and low end but not as nice sounding. Went with the latter as I don't intend to get a sub yet. That and I find the 1700bt much better looking on a desk.

Out of the box they seemed... ok but not all that good (They were 88$, can't really complain), very scooped out low mids and shouty high mids with an overall V-shaped response. After some tinkering with EQ they sound decent to my fairly untrained ears.

I'm also not sure if it's my brain getting used to the sound signature or break-in (I'm not sure what to believe on the latter, tbh) but they became nicer to listen to over time.

ozzy9832001

Kinda forgot about this thread after a few days but in the end I decided to go with R1700BT, found an open-box pair with a tiny scratch near the knobs area for 88$ (with VAT). I was torn between MR4 and R1700BT, and it seemed like the choice was either a nicer speaker overall or an older model with more power and low end but not as nice sounding. Went with the latter as I don't intend to get a sub yet. That and I find the 1700bt much better looking on a desk.

Out of the box they seemed... ok but not all that good (They were 88$, can't really complain), very scooped out low mids and shouty high mids with an overall V-shaped response. After some tinkering with EQ they sound decent to my fairly untrained ears.

I'm also not sure if it's my brain getting used to the sound signature or break-in (I'm not sure what to believe on the latter, tbh) but they became nicer to listen to over time.
You're going to run into that problem a lot with smaller speakers. The woofers can't handle the low frequencies and all the mids without some sort of compromise. The compromise is as you describe, sacrificing the mids to gain better extension and SPL at lower frequencies.

Cost is also a huge part of it. When speakers can cost thousands per...at the price you paid it's hard to have high expectations.

Edifier makes good products for their price. I have a few pairs floating around for different devices and just got my hands on the 2850's for a steal.

flaviowolff

These are pretty good.

Few input options including BT, if you want a bit more you could go for these,

They also have a headphone output as well which is quite handy.

If later down the line you wish to add a sub they have you covered to,

The presonus stuff is pretty decent for desktop and playing games and likely a big step up from the edifier stuff which is not that great really.
Not sure what backs up your opinion. Presonus Eris monitors usually measure pretty bad. I had the Eris E5 and now I have the Edifier MR4 which is much better than the Eris.

Top Bottom