• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much is too much spare change?

StaresyJ

Interested in hearing opinions. I have Schiit topology from top to bottom. My bottom is the Vidar. Terrific amplifier, bags of power. Which is my dilemma. I listen to my music (not much rock) at about 65-70 decibels, maybe peaking at 80 on very rare occasions when the house is empty. I’m thinking I could down the wattage and trade the Vidar for something more appropriate for my listening levels? Or should I stick with the ample power and not chase the rainbow?

OP
S

StaresyJ

I have very very faint hiss when the amp is on but silent. Only in 1 channel though

OP
S

StaresyJ

When you hear hiss even with nothing plugged into the Amp's input, or when there's channel imbalance because you have to turn down the volume knob so much, then the Amp is for sure too powerful.
Should have mentioned that the Vidar is of course managed by pre amp (saga +)

Capitol C

There is nothing wrong with having power to spare so that the occasional loud section (think a loud bass drum) can be handled with minimal amplifier distortion. Switching to a lower-power amp is not likely to improve the sound.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Saving your change and putting it in a jar is a very easy way to save money. Once it becomes a habit, you won't even notice you're doing it. Unlike keeping large sums of money in savings, keeping change doesn't affect the amount of money you have in a checking or cash account. It's almost like money is free!

Regards: Women's exotic lingerie
Thank you for the spam sir can we have another!

Top Bottom