• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hilary Hahn Shreds

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
I don't like the way much classical is mic'd up today. I prefer what Decca were doing in the 50s and 60s - it seemed to have an ambience and sense of scale that modern stuff doesn't have (too many microphones, too close?), often doesn't sound as coherent to me.
You might enjoy Channel Classics recordings, which tend to have a more medium-distant perspective, especially with large ensemble works.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I enjoy Hilary Hahn. However, I'm not sure shreds fits because in my mind a fiddler shreds. Like in Bluegrass. BTW, if you ever get the chance to see the Tennessee Valley Fiddler's convention it is an event well worth attending. No classical music, but lots of good music. Lots of musicians not in the competition gather round and roam around forming little impromptu groups playing together.

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
I enjoy Hilary Hahn. However, I'm not sure shreds fits because in my mind a fiddler shreds. Like in Bluegrass. BTW, if you ever get the chance to see the Tennessee Valley Fiddler's convention it is an event well worth attending. No classical music, but lots of good music. Lots of musicians not in the competition gather round and roam around forming little impromptu groups playing together.
Oh yeah, I love a good shredding bluegrass fiddler - who doesn't!
Bagpipes too, but only live. Recorded bagpipes usually sound wonky.

mSpot

Have you come across this version by Alina Ibragimova (one of my favorite violinists)?
As of yesterday, Universal Music Group (Hyperion label's new owner) have begun releasing the Hyperion catalog on all the streaming services. On Qobuz, I now see some Ibragimova albums from Hyperion — not the Ysaÿe album yet but it may be coming. I also see Hyperion albums by Angela Hewitt and Marc-André Hamelin.

Edit: some more information...

Last edited:

Liya

As of yesterday, Universal Music Group (Hyperion label's new owner) have begun releasing the Hyperion catalog on all the streaming services. On Qobuz, I now see some Ibragimova albums from Hyperion — not the Ysaÿe album yet but it may be coming. I also see Hyperion albums by Angela Hewitt and Marc-André Hamelin.

Edit: some more information...
The times of making money from recording albums for the Hyperion are over now.

Top Bottom