• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman releases EF400 AiO DAC-Amp

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The EF400 is here.
I'm curious.
20220610_142359.jpg
20220610_142921.jpg

OP
cheapmessiah

cheapmessiah

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The design, power output (if it's real at 32 ohms), headphone connection options (just shy of 2.5 balanced) and being a complete solution with DAC, Amp and integrated supply for $599 is quite interesting, indeed.

However, having a R2R DAC inside is a big red flag for me as well, and I'm not to much into SINAD wars beyond audibility threshold, but the precedents are not good (and I'm an IEM guy)

I hope Amir review it one day to see how it performs.

<rant>
I am annoyed by HifiMan to no end... I received a damaged HE-6SE v2, I know my experience to be common. They have Quality Control issues, rather than correct these they keep on releasing models... too many in their lineup, it is confusing.. utterly: Sunsvaray, Abradra, Sodra, Shangri-La... 400, erf3, Zendaya, Cochlea (many of these names are made up by me :)) but you get the point.. No one knows how the hierarchy is defined, and to top it up the range span from sub-$100 to close to $10,000 models with only the names as differentiators ... I am annoyed and disappointed. Now they come up with a solution for headphones owner but have to use an R2R DAC... Seriously?! :mad:

Waiting for Amir to review/measure this. I believe I am off their wagon. No more HiFiMan for me again... Will wait for my replacement HE-6SEv2, if it is not good, will buy a DCA headphone and be done.

Peace

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Whether it can deliver what my A90 cannot. Take Air - Amberland with more than 86dB without switching off
Right, the A90 cutting out. But we worked out that wasnt headphone dependant didnt we? So where does 86dB come from if not the SPL out of the headphones?

Youd like to think it shouldnt cut off from input signals , but assuming your a90 is faulty, the A90 working properly should trounce this on power output.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Right, the A90 cutting out. But we worked out that wasnt headphone dependant didnt we? So where does 86dB come from if not the SPL out of the headphones?

Youd like to think it shouldnt cut off from input signals , but assuming your a90 is faulty, the A90 working properly should trounce this on power output.
Probably something to do with that 10hz protection mode that topping has.

Bow_Wazoo

@Jimbob54
Yes, but I want to keep the HE6SE.
As I said, I had the same problems with the LCD-5.

The dealer, as well as Topping's service say,
that the unit is fine.
THAT is the annoying thing about it....
So what is the point of knowing that the A90 is probably defective?!
Unfortunately nothing at all...
I'll be glad to be rid of the A90.

@Snoopy
The subsonic filter did not bring any improvement

Snoopy

Major Contributor
@Jimbob54
Yes, but I want to keep the HE6SE.
As I said, I had the same problems with the LCD-5.

The dealer, as well as Topping's service say,
that the unit is fine.
THAT is the annoying thing about it....
So what is the point of knowing that the A90 is probably defective?!
Unfortunately nothing at all...
I'll be glad to be rid of the A90.

@Snoopy
The subsonic filter did not bring any improvement

I wouldn't be surprised if all these Chinese brands that sell alot of units have plenty of revisions down the line that never get mentioned anywhere.

Bit like with Xiaomi smartphones.. just throw in whatever part is available.

nyxnyxnyx

This is just my observation, but for devices like DAC, Amp or DAP Hifiman either does not want to chase SINAD or they actually can't do it.
Their 901s DAP will probably measure so wacky but it is still one of the most pleasant experience I've had with modern DAPs.
The main issue with Hifiman is their questionable QC reliability, and sometimes they publish misleading specs and numbers.

Bow_Wazoo

Since I had technical problems with the A90 (as already mentioned, the DC protection jumped in at tracks with a lot of bass, already at about 86dB), I decided to buy the EF400.
The track you hear on the " ToppingA90 DC protection at 86dB" video,
(Take Air - Amberland)
i can turn up to the limit on the EF400
(over 90dB).

After about 16 hours that I have heard with the device (it was a short night), I have actually only positive to repor

The sound is unobtrusive in the OS, in a positive sens
You can hear a ton of detail, energy and clarity
However, the NOS mode is particularly interesting
I have the impression that the sound is particularly smooth, liquid, and analog

Since I work with the EQ, and because of this, the preamp must be set to -6dB, it happens with some albums that I have to turn up the volume control full
Therefore, I would actually wish with more power.

I use a S21 Ultra with Neutron player installed as a source, and have had absolutely no connection problems, or other sound problem
I'm using this cable

I am aware that I have switched from an amplifier with absolutely first-class measurements, to one whose readings are at best mid-rang
But the decisive factor is the listening pleasure.
This is very high on the EF400, while it was massively damaged on the A90 (due to the mentioned problems)
Fortunately, as a gesture of goodwill, my dealer has agreed to take the A90 back.

20220611_101908 (1).jpg

The device feels very valuable.

I recommend the EF400.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I've ordered one as well.
My headphones are less demanding and don't require heavy EQ. Quess there will be plenty of power and the DAC is probably going to be "alright" even if it's most likely going to get a headless panther .

Maine reason to get the hifiman wasn't the R2R DAC but I wanted a nice combo unit that is not made by Topping.

nyxnyxnyx

I like the design and if their published specs are correct I might try it in the future, right now it's out of my budget.
My uneducated speculation about the NOS mode is probably some wacky filter settings that can possibly lead us into a "analog sound" subjective impression.
If fidelity is defined as products like A90 this is probably something on the opposite end, but might still sound nice to our ears.

Bow_Wazoo

Yes, possibly the same principle works here as with vinyl.
Our brain interprets negative technical properties in a positive way.
It works for me.
The EF400 "sounds" very pleasant to me!
I can't get enough of the HE6SE V2 + EF400

raindance

Major Contributor
Since I had technical problems with the A90 (as already mentioned, the DC protection jumped in at tracks with a lot of bass, already at about 86dB), I decided to buy the EF400.
The track you hear on the " ToppingA90 DC protection at 86dB" video,
(Take Air - Amberland)
i can turn up to the limit on the EF400
(over 90dB).

After about 16 hours that I have heard with the device (it was a short night), I have actually only positive to repor

The sound is unobtrusive in the OS, in a positive sens
You can hear a ton of detail, energy and clarity
However, the NOS mode is particularly interesting
I have the impression that the sound is particularly smooth, liquid, and analog

Since I work with the EQ, and because of this, the preamp must be set to -6dB, it happens with some albums that I have to turn up the volume control full
Therefore, I would actually wish with more power.
How are you measuring 90dB?

Also, you're not talking about power. You're talking about gain and gain structure. I hope you realize this.

Bow_Wazoo

This was a very amateurish measurement with a sound level meter and serves as a rough guide. Therefore, I would not put the measurement results on the gold scale.

Ultimately, however, this does not matter, at least for me.
Really significant is only the fact that I have reached with the A90, far from the desired volume, without the DC protection has switched off before...

OP
cheapmessiah

cheapmessiah

This was a very amateurish measurement with a sound level meter and serves as a rough guide. Therefore, I would not put the measurement results on the gold scale.

Ultimately, however, this does not matter, at least for me.
Really significant is only the fact that I have reached with the A90, far from the desired volume, without the DC protection has switched off before...

How much volume are you getting on the HE6se and at what point of the volume pot rotation?

Top Bottom