Well, I am keeping all options on the table at the moment with regard to HDCD hardware. Here is a summary:
1. Stay with the EAD equipment that I have, for use in more than one system, a couple of DSP 7000 III DACs and a couple of EAD Theatermaster processors (using as a DAC to decode HDCD).
2. Try to find a used Berkeley Audio Design (BAD) Alpha DAC, but the question remains which one. @manisandher
- I saw on another forum wherein you thought Berkeley was using off the shelf Analog Devices DACs and I think that was in reference to the Alpha Series I Reference DAC. I assume they use the AD DAC in conjunction with some sort of digital filter a successor to the PMD200 that I don't even know the model number. Does anyone know if BAD used off the shelf AD DACs in all of their DACs, such as the earlier non-reference series - perhaps something like the Alpha 2 non-reference that I may be able to afford on the used market. Also does anyone know more about the successor(s) to the PMD200, how many there were and what the model #s are?
3. Stick with more modern equipment that doesn't have the PMD200 or the PMD100. The Emotiva ERC-3 obviously has less jitter than my old EAD equipment, but there is controversy about how well they implemented HDCD and I could never get it to forward an HDCD signal to an outboard DAC. Other modern equipment to consider would be the Oppo 105 Blu Ray player, although that brings in the issues of it not being a dedicated CD player and whether such a jack of all trades would be less than ideal. Clearly, the Oppo would have less jitter than the old EAD equipment though and it can forward an HDCD signal to an outboard DAC.
4. Stay on the hunt for an older DAC with the PMD200 digital filter. If I rule out tube equipment and rule out CD players and focus solely on stand-alone DACs the list will be pretty damn short. I don't really need a transport because I have that very well covered with both my Aurender server and my Audiolab CDT9000 transport, both of which forward HDCD wonderfully. Any thoughts on which are best of the short list of DACs that incorporated the PMD200?