• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has anyone tried PureAsioPlayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, last day I tried at home of my friend this player:

The test was performed with a Windows 10 notebook, smsl 9u DAC, Yamaha N1000 amplifier, HD660 headphone. We compared the Daphile, Hysolid and PureAsioPlayer players with my usual 44.1Hz/16bit audio CD files. At the end of the test, which we will repeat with other files, we came to the conclusion that Daphile is the one that presents the most closed sound with a more limited soundstage. Hysolid is appreciated for its cleanliness and for the air that appears to circulate around the instruments. PureAsioPlayer appears even more brilliant than Hysolid, but above all it showed an evident listening difference with the song "smell like teen spirit" by Nirvana where typically a good system is needed to appreciate the separation of the instruments. A difficult piece specially placed...

The method of acquiring PAP is particular and it is necessary to make a donation, but the author will prepare a customized copy optimized for that specific PC ... (this point should be better understood)

Has anyone tried PAP? Would it be nice for you to share your impressions?

thanks

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hello, last day I tried at home of my friend this player:

The test was performed with a Windows 10 notebook, smsl 9u DAC, Yamaha N1000 amplifier, HD660 headphone. We compared the Daphile, Hysolid and PureAsioPlayer players with my usual 44.1Hz/16bit audio CD files. At the end of the test, which we will repeat with other files, we came to the conclusion that Daphile is the one that presents the most closed sound with a more limited soundstage. Hysolid is appreciated for its cleanliness and for the air that appears to circulate around the instruments. PureAsioPlayer appears even more brilliant than Hysolid, but above all it showed an evident listening difference with the song "smell like teen spirit" by Nirvana where typically a good system is needed to appreciate the separation of the instruments. A difficult piece specially placed...
Was any of this "test" performed with basic ears-only controls? If so, could you please describe them?

OP
W
Unfortunately I don't have the instrumentation to carry out measurements. So, except for a couple of double-blind tests performed only with the Nirvana Song and only between Hysolid and PAP, the test result is based only on the experiences of the participants, who however founding a great convergence in the result.

That's why I'd be interested in hearing other opinions

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you try Foobar2000 and J. River? The vast majority of ASR members use one of those two. Of course there are others.

OP
W
In my opinion Hysolid musically is better than foobar2000 and JR. Now PAP is costumizzed for your PC…

unpluggged

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it mean I won't be able to apply software EQ with this player since it doesn't seem to come with one, and with ASIO I can't use eAPO?

PAP.png

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Was any of this "test" performed with basic ears-only controls? If so, could you please describe them?

To the OP. I think what @SIY is gently trying to tell you is that unless you have some measurements at the DAC output showing objectively better performance, or a double blind test showing preference for this player, your subjective impressions are not going to cut it here.

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As far as "minimalistic music players" go, foobar2000 is fairly minimal and a pretty good choice. You can use ASIO output with it, if you're into pointless tweaks and unnecessary hassle.

Given how digital audio works, any claim that any two audio player apps have audible differences between them (barring major bugs or misconfiguration) should be met with strong scepticism. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and this "PureAsioPlayer" thing is no exception. So far no such evidence has been provided.

Last edited:
OP
W
All'OP. Penso che ciò che @SIY sta gentilmente cercando di dirti è che, a meno che tu non abbia alcune misurazioni all'uscita del DAC che mostrino prestazioni oggettivamente migliori, o un test in doppio cieco che mostri la preferenza per questo lettore, le tue impressioni soggettive non lo taglieranno qui.
I see, and it caused my answer. I'd like listen other opinions
To the OP. I think what @SIY is gently trying to tell you is that unless you have some measurements at the DAC output showing objectively better performance, or a double blind test showing preference for this player, your subjective impressions are not going to cut it here.
I see, and this caused my question. I'd like listen other opinions before to make a donation...

OP
W
Per quanto riguarda i "lettori musicali minimalisti", foobar2000 è abbastanza minimale e una scelta abbastanza buona. Puoi usare l'output ASIO con esso, se ti piacciono modifiche inutili e problemi inutili.

Dato come funziona l'audio digitale, qualsiasi affermazione secondo cui due app di riproduzione audio hanno differenze udibili tra loro (salvo bug importanti o errori di configurazione) dovrebbe essere accolta con forte scetticismo. Affermazioni straordinarie richiedono prove straordinarie, e questa cosa "PureAsioPlayer" non fa eccezione. Finora non sono state fornite prove di questo tipo.
I would not open any special wars, I often do double blind tests especially in audio cable tests and 9 times out of 10 the test shows that the suggestion is excellent. HOWEVER, to say that digital players all "sound" the same is a discovery for me today. In theory all DACs should return the same analog signal, because there is no reason why you should vary anything from the expected result. All player softwares should sound the same, but to say that Windows Mediaplayer, VLC, Itunes, WINAP, sound like somewhat "bit perfect" softwares needs a thorough investigation . Among bit perfect player :VOLUMIO/ DAPHILE/Jriver /Hysolid/Foobar2000/MoOde Audio/PiCorePlayer, Everyone knows that they "treat" sound differently, even if it's nuances... PureAsioPlayer is no exception at that.
Are you now by any chance stating that all of these software are equivalent for music playback purposes?

My question borns from the need to equip my second DIY streamer, based on x86 minipc, with a DUAL BOOT.

The first OS with Volumio, the second as Windows Kiosk mode with a player still undefined for me today. Hysolid, it seemed to me more convincing than the others... now I'm investigating around PAP

Zensō

Major Contributor
I often do double blind tests especially in audio cable tests and 9 times out of 10 the test shows that the suggestion is excellent.
Am I understanding correctly that you’re consistently hearing differences in cables in double blind tests? If so, I think the readership here would be very curious to read about your methodology and findings.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Am I understanding correctly that you’re consistently hearing differences in cables in double blind tests? If so, I think the readership here would be very curious to read about your methodology and findings.
I asked for details on the controls and got no actual answer. I'm also guessing no level match, either, since my question was "answered" with "I don't have test equipment."

To OP: An AC-measuring multimeter checking a single tone test signal at 50-1000 Hz is an easy and cheap way to match levels to excellent precision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom