• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gold Planar GL2000 worth it or just Hype?

kiyu

Hi guys,

I want to invest in a new headphone, unfortunately, my budget is limited I will love HD800s or the new HD8xx but too expensive.

Checking the internet found this new Gold Planar GL2000, is quite popular on the reviews.
here so far the comments from YouTubers/reviewers:
ZEos: 11 points of 10.
DMS: crap 2,3 point
Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews = love it 7/8 points
The HEADPHONE Show = Don't like it 5 points. ( they EQ to sound it better)
Soundnews = like it 8 points ..
I guess so far they are much more people that like it than the opposite.

But again another example was IFI zen Everyone love it and the numbers from Amir's review are not that good, actually are quite bad, so not sure what to believe.
I know or I bet that they are not the best headphone in the world lol, but just wanna know if they worth the money or not.

any owner could bring some light?
any other recommendation? I was checking the Focal Elex (not planar), but they got really nice feedback

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys,

I want to invest in a new headphone, unfortunately, my budget is limited I will love HD800s or the new HD8xx but too expensive.

Checking the internet found this new Gold Planar GL2000, is quite popular on the reviews.
here so far the comments from YouTubers/reviewers:
ZEos: 11 points of 10.
DMS: crap 2,3 point
Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews = love it 7/8 points
The HEADPHONE Show = Don't like it 5 points. ( they EQ to sound it better)
Soundnews = like it 8 points ..
I guess so far they are much more people that like it than the opposite.

But again another example was IFI zen Everyone love it and the numbers from Amir's review are not that good, actually are quite bad, so not sure what to believe.
I know or I bet that they are not the best headphone in the world lol, but just wanna know if they worth the money or not.

any owner could bring some light?
any other recommendation? I was checking the Focal Elex (not planar), but they got really nice feedback
See if you can find some measurements so some of the knowledgeable folks here can comment on how good or bad it looks out of the box. Will you be planning to audition them? And would you eq them?

cursive

Forum Donor
Looks like they have two versions, single sided magnets, and double sided magnets. Crinnacle did a pretty in depth review with measurements here https://crinacle.com/2021/02/14/gold-planar-gl2000-review-the-critical-take/

Doesn't look horrible, but definitely has a bit of an unnatural response looking at the graphs. He gave it a B- overall and describes some honkiness and other oddities. But you might see how that compares to other sets around the same price.

I'd look at the Sundara and Ananda as competitors as Hifiman is my favorite for planars. But full disclosure I've never heard the gold planar GL2000.

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Personally, if I were going to spend $700, I'd be considering first the double-sided Ananda. And I would likely even settle on the $350 single-sided Sundara..

But apparently I am an odd Duck, as I really like my double-sided $220 HE5XX, which sound great to me (mostly classical) , without EQ, driven by a Liquid Spark (and LG V20 w/ Amazon Music).:)

OP
K

kiyu

See if you can find some measurements so some of the knowledgeable folks here can comment on how good or bad it looks out of the box. Will you be planning to audition them? And would you eq them?

I don't mind EQ if needed, I like to "play" with peace.

Looks like they have two versions, single sided magnets, and double sided magnets. Crinnacle did a pretty in depth review with measurements here https://crinacle.com/2021/02/14/gold-planar-gl2000-review-the-critical-take/

Doesn't look horrible, but definitely has a bit of an unnatural response looking at the graphs. He gave it a B- overall and describes some honkiness and other oddities. But you might see how that compares to other sets around the same price.

I'd look at the Sundara and Ananda as competitors as Hifiman is my favorite for planars. But full disclosure I've never heard the gold planar GL2000.
on the review from
DMS: he also mentioned something similar to the crinacle "Is it the honk? Is it the nasalness? The GL2000 has both for sure, "
I guess I will wait for a bit longer to get my amp/dac then enjoy my Sen hd660s (that is still on it way), and save money for Ananda or Sundara.

I haven't checked many reviews from the ananda but I guess I will check that

Top Bottom