• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 1030A input sensitivity with Nuprime preamp ?

arthur92

Hi all,

I'm a newbie and I have a question about input sensitivity of my actives speakers.

I have a pair of Genelec 1030A that i use to listen music with a Nuprime HPA-9 preamp. My sources are an Apple computer and a Technics turntable.

I don't know where to set input sensitivity of the speakers. Genelec have an input range of +6 dB to -6 dB and the preamp have an output level of 6 Vrms (in RCA).

I know that -6 dB is the most sensitive setting and +6 dB the less sensitive setting. And I think 6 Vrms is a high output for a hi-fi device.

Do you guys have some recommandations ?

Thank you very much (sorry for my English).

Arthur

staticV3

Master Contributor
I would set the Genelecs to their lowest sensitivity (= +6dBu/1.55V)

OP
A

arthur92

Thanks for your reply !
Can you develop a bit ? Why it would be better in this configuration ?

By listening at +6dB, despite having more room on the Nuprime volume knob, i think that the sound changed a bit. I used to listen with -6 dB setting.

It is less « in your face » sounding, especially in the high frequencies. Is -6dB with that preamp can create distorsion ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Usually, you can minimize noise or speaker hiss by using your analog audio sources at their maximum amplitude and setting your Amp to the lowest Gain.

The gain knob on the back of your Genelecs should not have an effect on frequency response or distortion, though it's not impossible.
Someone would have to measure it to say for sure.

It's also possible that your sound impressions stem from cognitive biases and things like equal loudness curves, caused by being unable to directly A/B different gain positions.

OP
A

arthur92

Thanks, i will leave it at +6 dB for a moment and see if there is a real improvement. There maybe no distorsion, but the sound at -6 dB was very loud quickly and over-detailed i would say. However, I’m not sure to listen with the same dB when comparing the two gain positions… Maybe this sound impression is due to the fact that i can listen with lower dB with a better confort at +6 dB ?

It is correct that i can lower speakers sensitivity to +6 dB and have a good listening volume because the preamp have a high output level ? (6 Vrms)

staticV3

Master Contributor
It is correct that i can lower speakers sensitivity to +6 dB and have a good listening volume because the preamp have a high output level ? (6 Vrms)
Not exactly. With the 1030A set to the lowest sensitivity, 2.75Vrms is enough to reach its maximum output capability.

OP
A

arthur92

Ok, so i got way more output than needed for the speakers. This doesn’t mean that i can have sound quality problem (too loud sound) by setting them on -6 dB, the highest sensitivity ?

Regarding the 6 Vrms output level of the preamp and Genelec 1030A specs, there is no other more precise setting than +6 dB (+3 dB, -2dB, for example) to achieve an optimal signal/noise ratio and a more natural/transparent sound ?

Thanks again for your answers, I’m confused

Top Bottom