• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Favorite IEMs? Can they compete with HD800?

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Was just wondering if there are any convertees to IEMs after coming from the world of over-ears, like HD800. Does anybody have any favorites they can recommend that might compare with high-end over-ears? Or is the technology just not there yet? Or is it impossible without the larger drivers used in over-ears? Thanks!

Keith_W

Major Contributor
There is absolutely no comparison between IEM's and over ear headphones like the HD800, even if the measured frequency response is the same. This is because of the HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function), i.e. the influence of the pinna, head, neck, and shoulders on the frequency response. It is possible to measure your own HRTF using in-ear microphones and apply EQ to IEM's to approximate normal hearing, but even then the sense of spaciousness of the HD800, let alone speakers, can not be recreated. Not to mention, the discomfort of IEM's and the unnatural way they block outside sound.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The HD800 S is made by elves in a Dr. Who phone booth using captured UFO technology. See profile photo, I've had a few. There's IEMs I have just as much fun, but not the same physically. The Seeaudio Yume II is the closest soundstage for an IEM fo width and depth. The Sennheiser IE600 has a smaller stage but imaging that's just as accurate. Value for money hands down is the Truthear Zero Blue and Simgot EA500 if you just want the fun without melting down a credit card. Only the Audio Technica adh1000x and Hifiman Ananda Stealth really come close to the 800S of what I've heard.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I think some people prefer IEMs. (I don't own any IEMs, and I don't listen to headphones that much.)

There are obviously lots of different headphones & IEMs. If the HD800 is your favorite of all time, and you prefer them to speakers, probably NOTHING can compete.

It's sort-of like asking if a motorcycle can compete with a Honda Accord... What motorcycle, and in what way?

wwenze

Major Contributor
The HD800 S is made by elves in a Dr. Who phone booth using captured UFO technology. See profile photo, I've had a few. There's IEMs I have just as much fun, but not the same physically. The Seeaudio Yume II is the closest soundstage for an IEM fo width and depth. The Sennheiser IE600 has a smaller stage but imaging that's just as accurate. Value for money hands down is the Truthear Zero Blue and Simgot EA500 if you just want the fun without melting down a credit card. Only the Audio Technica adh1000x and Hifiman Ananda Stealth really come close to the 800S of what I've heard.

And Beats are made by by Dr. Dre

I wonder which doctor is better

Top Bottom