• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
wth!?
Isolated ground version
$3,100

bargain

Ingenieur

I'm getting the $3,100, not the $690.
It's 4.5 X better.
;)

I must confess. I bought a receptacle.
The old one was loose, not a tight grip.
Hubbell industrial grade, $10 iirc at a local supply house. Lol
Tight, needs some force to insert. (No off color jokes please). :D

Galliardist

Major Contributor
wth!?
Isolated ground version
$3,100

bargain
Looks like five dollars for the hardware and $3,095 for a few bits of tape stuck on it. They must be very special bits of tape with a lot of quantum!
They also sell expensive fuse labels.. $5000 for the "silver" fuse. I can't find a picture of the silver fuse, but the rest of the range, for example red/black at $2,844 certainly looks like a standard fuse with a label (indicating direction, of course) and a bit of their special tape.

The company website quantum-science-audio.com lists a gold fuse for $10000, and even asks for donations to keep them going! We have a new champion here, it seems.

Quantum Sciences Audio Fuse (tweekgeek.com)

Ingenieur

Looks like five dollars for the hardware and $3,095 for a few bits of tape stuck on it. They must be very special bits of tape with a lot of quantum!
They also sell expensive fuse labels.. $5000 for the "silver" fuse. I can't find a picture of the silver fuse, but the rest of the range, for example red/black at $2,844 certainly looks like a standard fuse with a label (indicating direction, of course) and a bit of their special tape.

The company website quantum-science-audio.com lists a gold fuse for $10000, and even asks for donations to keep them going! We have a new champion here, it seems.

Madness

Directionality​

These fuses are directional, as indicated by the arrows. If after installing the fuse the music sounds thin, harsh and brittle you may have it facing the wrong direction. Try reversing the direction of the fuse and listening.

audio2design

Major Contributor

If you have the money to buy this, and you buy this, and do not have early onset dementia or some other affliction, then I am rapidly losing my sympathy for you. The world obviously is not a much of a meritocracy as it needs to be :)

egellings

Major Contributor
For the very wealthy, the devil may care. 10K for a fuse? Get a couple for the kids, too.

audio2design

Major Contributor
For the very wealthy, the devil may care. 10K for a fuse? Get a couple for the kids, too.

Or a way for installers to the wealthy to pad their installation bill. The truly wealthy tend not to get that way by being stupid.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I think the point is that if you are not forewarned, all sorts of things can "make the sound better" including no actual change. I did this when the Peter Belt foils were given away free with an audio mag in the 1980s and a friend (very soon, former friend) raved about them. He visited, and heard all the beneficial changes as I added the foils to the turntable platter and some LPs. Except, I stuck the foil on the turntable pointing in the wrong direction and never stuck the foils on the LPs at all! He wasn't at all happy when I showed him what I had done, and didn't believe me ("you must have taken them off again"). From that day I've been much more of a subjectivist, oddly enough!

As an aside, the current owner of my stolen Linn Axis probably still has the sticker on the platter facing the wrong way. If only those foils did work as described, now that would have been karma...

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Or a way for installers to the wealthy to pad their installation bill. The truly wealthy tend not to get that way by being stupid.
Unlikely. Installers want to make their money and move on, and are often employed by mainstream dealers as well as individual customers. Sure, they'll use expensive big name components, but they will want to use cables and so on that they can buy wholesale, they will value reliability over audio tweak products, and they certainly won't be opening up those D'Agostino monoblocks to fit a third party fuse and later find they've voided the warranty on a six figure amp.
Any installer who wants to pad their bill will just add additional labour costs, surely?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unlikely. Installers want to make their money and move on, and are often employed by mainstream dealers as well as individual customers. Sure, they'll use expensive big name components, but they will want to use cables and so on that they can buy wholesale, they will value reliability over audio tweak products, and they certainly won't be opening up those D'Agostino monoblocks to fit a third party fuse and later find they've voided the warranty on a six figure amp.
Any installer who wants to pad their bill will just add additional labour costs, surely?
Pretty easy to pad the bill. Add "shop supplies", "chemicals and cleaners" etc etc.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Pretty easy to pad the bill. Add "shop supplies", "chemicals and cleaners" etc etc.
That is the way mechanics do it. But as a former repair tech 40 years ago, I agree with it. Those supplies are expensive and when used, if you do it properly you use quite a bit. For example DeOxit, use it liberally and it works very well. Brake cleaner? Same way. The customer should pay for it though as it involves a job well done and not just slopped together and left all nasty and dirty. Just IMHO.

Top Bottom