• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Another noise floor reducing usb cable with ‘proprietary’ technology that claims to lower noise floor, along with a scientificky usb doo-dad plugged-in thingy, I would have asked the following question but I’m banned as I once had the temerity to leave a comment asking “Do you have valid measurements?” regarding the noise floor suppression capabilities of RCA caps.

Unique Innovation Technologies scientificky USB doo-dad

Interesting that the reviewer mentions “ he showed me his new interconnects with a passive module on board that lowers the noise floor and enhances definition.” If so then this is very easy to show proof off, unfortunately there is zero evidence for this on the UIT website, as a 1st year electronic student could perform this noise floor test with ease I await the results.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel like I stepped into a snake pit in an Indiana Jones movie when I visited Synergistics Ethernet Switch UEF page:

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/accessories/ethernet-switch-uef/

An ethernet switch for $2.6k, with a bundled $600 AC cord with a $200 fuse, but available with an upgrade to an amazing $5.5k power cable, with a discounted 1m ethernet cable that adds only $2k to the bundle. A compatible grounding block is recommended for blacker blacks (with its own AC cable) for a measly $10.5k! All of this veil-lifting equipment that has nothing to do with actual audio playback can be had for just over $20k! What a bargain!

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I feel like I stepped into a snake pit in an Indiana Jones movie when I visited Synergistics Ethernet Switch UEF page:

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/accessories/ethernet-switch-uef/

An ethernet switch for $2.6k, with a bundled $600 AC cord with a $200 fuse, but available with an upgrade to an amazing $5.5k power cable, with a discounted 1m ethernet cable that adds only $2k to the bundle. A compatible grounding block is recommended for blacker blacks (with its own AC cable) for a measly $10.5k! All of this veil-lifting equipment that has nothing to do with actual audio playback can be had for just over $20k! What a bargain!
I've got no issue with someone trying to sell snake oil tbh, and good luck to them, it's a business after all; but to be sucked in by this and actually buy it?? Are there any customers? That's the really worrying part of all of this, that people who are convinced by this sh1t roam amongst us and possibly drive cars, operate machinery etc.

Reactions: JRS

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got no issue with someone trying to sell snake oil tbh, and good luck to them, it's a business after all; but to be sucked in by this and actually buy it?? Are there any customers? That's the really worrying part of all of this, that people who are convinced by this sh1t roam amongst us and possibly drive cars, operate machinery etc.

The funny (sad?) thing is I was led to this page by someone declaring that they've "upgraded" to this equipment... so yes, there are buyers...

Bernard23

I guess you'd need to be pretty bored of having money to hit the buy now button.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, Tom Cruise bragged on the Tonight Show about using Synergistic Research products. The YouTube clip is no longer available.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess you'd need to be pretty bored of having money to hit the buy now button.
A fool and his money, and all that. There seem to be any number of idiots with cash burning holes in their pockets, too.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do have a problem with it. It is (IMO) fraud - not a business. I struggle to understand how there aren't consumer protection organisations all over it.

At lower levels there are people of limited means buying this stuff because they've been fooled. I see it as no different from the people who phoned my mother to offer her "computer support" at a price, by telling her they've detected it is "infected" - and I'd cheerfully hang those people up by the nads while beating them with a nail encrusted 2x4.

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I do have a problem with it. It is (IMO) fraud - not a business. I struggle to understand how there aren't consumer protection organisations all over it.

At lower levels there are people of limited means buying this stuff because they've been fooled. I see it as no different from the people who phoned my mother to offer her "computer support" at a price, by telling her they've detected it is "infected" - and I'd cheerfully hang those people up by the nads while beating them with a nail encrusted 2x4.
I'm in. I will gladly beat them with you. It is weird how people will say that Indian scammers wanting $5000 to fix your computer is terrible, but then make excuses for the audio industry doing the exact same thing. It is called lying. When you out right lie you are scamming. All salesmen lying should be beaten. But, that is for a different thread.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe audio scammers are more like white collar crime, stealing from those who (obviously) have too much money for their own good.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe audio scammers are more like white collar crime, stealing from those who (obviously) have too much money for their own good.
Not all of them have too much money. Some will be scripming and saving, perhaps going without other stuff that has actual value, in order to buy something that has none.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Not sure how different this topic is than, e.g., the nutritional supplements business (at least in the US).
The US FDA is saber-rattling about cracking down on some of the "loopholes" (for lack of a better word) that have allowed fanciful and unsubstantiated claims for such products. Meanwhile, irrespective of baseless claims, the products themselves may not even be safe for human use.

Folks swear by them, though.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After the "wife hearing the difference from the kitchen"...
Now, the "76-year old Jewish mother in Florida"...
:facepalm:

Not to mention that 200$ for 1M Ethernet cable is considered somewhat "affordable" !

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
So -- if you were going to start an esoteric audiophile cable company, would you have chosen the name Snake River?
Seems akin to, e.g., Elon Musk having named his automobile company Lemon. Or maybe Citron...
These certianly sound... interesting. :)

jsrtheta

Be careful inserting bolts. I know it is a private thing to do, I'm just giving out a public service announcement. ER docs don't want to see a bolt on the x-ray!
Wouldn't be the first time they did, though.

jsrtheta

A new contender from the U.K. ( how proud I feel)

Former director of ‘Wave’ cables and gym owner.
Keith
I love that they took the name of a quack medical practice for their own name.

jsrtheta

That's the special sauce. "The only people who will this stuff have money to burn, so it's not like we're ripping off Joe Six-Pack, right? So it's cool, right?"

Right?

Last edited:

Bernard23

That's the special sauce. "The only people who will this stuff have money to burn, so it's not like we're ripping off Joe Six-Pack, right? So it's cool, right?"

Right?
Pretty much the fundamental pillar of free market capitalism? The reason why the Romans invented caveat emptor, you cannot / should not legislate for stupidity?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty much the fundamental pillar of free market capitalism? The reason why the Romans invented caveat emptor, you cannot / should not legislate for stupidity?
But you can and should legislate for fraud. In fact we do. As we do for false advertising. Etc etc

delta76

Major Contributor
After the "wife hearing the difference from the kitchen"...
Now, the "76-year old Jewish mother in Florida"...
:facepalm:

Not to mention that 200$ for 1M Ethernet cable is considered somewhat "affordable" !
God, this must be the worst "Review" I have read in a long time. I know all "snake oil reviews" are bad, but his "introduction" is just long, boring, and non sense

Top Bottom