• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electronics vs Psycho-acoustics

SOTA DAC with lossy 5.1 or mediocre DAC with lossless 5.1

• SOTA DAC with lossy 5.1

• Mediocre DAC with lossless 5.1

Results are only viewable after voting.

Keened

Forum Donor
This is an interesting question without a clear cut answer (from what I can see):

Would you prefer to have a SOTA DAC (110+ SINAD) that is fed lossy 5.1 (DD over SPDIF for example) or a mediocre DAC (mid-80s SINAD) that is fed lossless 5.1 (Dolby TrueHD over eARC for example).

Lets assume equally capable amplification with minimal distortion and speakers capable of maintaining neutral reference throughout the spectrum.

If AC3 was a more modern lossy codec I could see the case being made for functional transparency, but it's not. I'm also not entirely sure of what kind of room effect differences/knock on effects would present in surround lossy vs lossless.

But it doesn't matter if the data is there if it can't be converted to an acoustic signal cleanly and the nuances are lost in the noise.

Last edited:

dartinbout

My answer would be at least 99% of the time, the quality of the recording will swamp either. One of the most important keys to musical bliss is a quality recording.
As someone who has collected surround music formats, for many years (from fairly primitive upconverted DTS to DSD X4, recorded directly to DSD256) the range of mastering can vary wildly, I completely concur. Thankfully both areas are improving. I have the Okto DAC8Pro but it is only the most recent technical innovation in DAC's and companies like NativeDSD are distributing breathtakingly beautiful, multichannel, recordings. It is a wonderful time to enjoy music, no matter what your vote above might be.

Top Bottom