• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dual SVS SB-3000 or Dual PSA S1512 ?

witwald

Forum Donor
https://www.bcspeakers.com/en/products/lf-driver/15-0/4/15ds115-4

This is the driver that goes into the S1512. It has 16mm of Xmax. Not bad, but significantly less than what you'd get with a regular subwoofer. More importantly, look at the specs and parameters of the driver. It has a 4.5" voice coil designed to take a ton of power, which can only be delivered to the driver without bottoming it out at higher frequencies. If you model it in a box, it rolls off very high. B&C even specs it as only going down to 35Hz.
The 15DS115 driver has a very low value of Qts = 0.18, and a quite high free air resonance frequency of Fs = 34 Hz. It's clearly been designed with high efficiency in mind, at the expense of low-frequency extension.

Speeddeacon

I've updated my spreadsheet, crossed out the questionable data (for PB-2000 Pro, SB-2000 Pro, and SB-3000), and made a note that the SVS subs will be re-retested.
Thanks for your efforts on this.
The SB3000 is a phenomenal performer and extreme value no doubt, but I'll be glad to see what the corrected measurements are. Hope to see them soon.

kernelpanic

Yea, I need to ask @sweetchaos to take my numbers out of his spreadsheet. Since I am doing a big round of subwoofer tests next month, I’ve revisited the SVS test and think I found the error but I can’t recalculate things to verify so I think it’s best to chalk that up as a loss on my end and re-test at a later date. I’ll have to remove them from my own spreadsheet as well.

@hardisj, Any idea when you're able to do the SVS sub re-tests?

Top Bottom