• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop (Mass Drop) for UK citizens, am I missing something?

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did a little search here, didn't find the answer, but I'm sure it's been discussed before.

Seeing these popular headphones and audio devices on Drop, such as Sennheiser HD6xx, 58x, HiFi-Man HE-4xx, THX amps etc.
I'm guessing it's really for the US market?

Whilst the shipping didn't look horrendous at less than $10 US, we'd have to deal with RoyalMail taking another £8 just for handling the customs/import and VAT charges, which are 2.5% import duty and 20% VAT.

So, we take some HD6xx headphones at around $220, which is around £177 after conversion (@ 3% fee).
Add duty £3 (20% over £135 value inc. shipping/insurance!) of around £36.
VAT @ 20%, £36
RoyalMail money taking fee, £8
Shipping $15 so £12

Comes in at around: £236 £269.
Warranty is kinda difficult, I should imagine.

Thomann has HD650 for £299, but that possibly comes with it's own troubles (the UK is still kinda in the EU until next year, no?), else it's around £320 ish for the HD650.
HD600 can be had in this country for £280, free delivery.

I can't help but feel Drop is definitely not aimed at the UK buyer. Maybe if they sorted out their EU warehouse?

edit: adjusted duty - goods valued over £135 including the cost of shipping and insurance (what a scam!) are subject to import duty at 20%. The code for headphones 85 18 30 00 90.

Last edited:
OP
L5730

L5730

The price they say you will pay is correct, and they do returns.
Yeah, I gathered that much (I was being ever so slightly cheeky). The returns part is the possibly awkward. Seems some folks have zero issues, others have to keep badgering them.

Well, £236 is still cheaper than £280 or £299 ...
Yeah, it is. So is a pre-owned nearly new pair on ebay. Either way, the warranty is a tough part. New is new though.

OK, so I haven't missed anything. It is exactly what it is.
Same as if I went to BangGood or AliExpress and found some. Pay whatever amount in the currency requested and deal with customs/VAT and faff. Sending stuff back if it's DOA or fails within a year is probably going to cost more than the saving. I suppose there is potentially the option of getting Sennheiser EU to repair, but they won't touch a MassDrop branded product, I'd think, even though it's theirs.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll keep looking for the next bargain ;)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Massdrop is mostly for the US market.

They done EU based runs of their more popular products before, but I think I've seen one in a while though.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For a while, (Mass)Drop held a stock of popular items in Europe, which meant that import duty and VAT was already included in the purchase price. However, they stopped the service due to lack of interest (I think it was late 2019).

I paid £262 for some 'b-stock' HD660s in April 2020 from the Sennheiser Outlet (fully refurbished with a 2-year guarantee). However, these don't appear very often (i've only seen the HD660s appear twice and I bought the second pair).

https://en-uk.sennheiser-outlet.com/

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I did a little search here, didn't find the answer, but I'm sure it's been discussed before.

Seeing these popular headphones and audio devices on Drop, such as Sennheiser HD6xx, 58x, HiFi-Man HE-4xx, THX amps etc.

Whilst the shipping didn't look horrendous at less than $10 US, we'd have to deal with RoyalMail taking another £8 just for handling the customs/import and VAT charges, which are 2.5% import duty and 20% VAT.

So, we take some HD6xx headphones at around $220, which is around £177 after conversion (@ 3% fee).
VAT @ 20%, £36
Shipping $15 so £12

Thomann has HD650 for £299, but that possibly comes with it's own troubles (the UK is still kinda in the EU until next year, no?), else it's around £320 ish for the HD650.

I can't help but feel Drop is definitely not aimed at the UK buyer. Maybe if they sorted out their EU warehouse?

edit: adjusted duty - goods valued over £135 including the cost of shipping and insurance (what a scam!) are subject to import duty at 20%. The code for headphones 85 18 30 00 90.

Correct- not aimed at the UK/ EU. Did you see the prices in the EU warehouse when it operated? If the exchange rate was blowing in the right direction it was cheaper to buy the US one still after all the rip off fees.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For a while, (Mass)Drop held a stock of popular items in Europe, which meant that import duty and VAT was already included in the purchase price. However, they stopped the service due to lack of interest (I think it was late 2019).

I paid £262 for some 'b-stock' HD660s in April 2020 from the Sennheiser Outlet (fully refurbished with a 2-year guarantee). However, these don't appear very often (i've only seen the HD660s appear twice and I bought the second pair).

https://en-uk.sennheiser-outlet.com/

Pity if Drop stopped that EU stock. I'm sure that things have changed recently and there is a bunch of Eu citizens here that would go for it.
I did a bitter experience with the Etymotic ER2SE IEMs at 99$+7$ sales tax sent to my friend in the US. Added 40$ shipping to France, + fix clearance fee of 15€, no duty but 24€ VAT. That's about 190$++ Hence double and took ages to arrive !

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually - I have discovered the worst thing about Drop for non US customers. Desirable item comes on Drop- but 3 month window. You buy, knowing you can cancel no questions.

One month later- same desirable item or even newer shinier more desirable item is available immediately for similar price to Drop but from different seller.

You cancel Drop order.

You check credit card statement for refund and find youve taken a 20 quid hit between purchase transaction and refund transaction. Combination of bank fees for foreign currency and XR fluctuations.

Suddenly that other seller price doesnt look as appealing

OP
L5730

L5730

Correct- not aimed at the UK/ EU. Did you see the prices in the EU warehouse when it operated? If the exchange rate was blowing in the right direction it was cheaper to buy the US one still after all the rip off fees.

I did not. I knew of there being an EU warehouse at some time. I'd never really looked at the site, needing to register to see pricing.
But if there was not much of a difference in price vs. importing from outside EU, then I can understand some lack of interest. Although, as @Harmonie points out, it's less hassle and quicker to not go 'round the houses.

Just seen HD650 £319 free shipping from a UK bricks and mortar chain of stores. They used to do great deals in the shop, but I dunno so much now - and I ain't going around shops right now.

I made an edit to the original post. Customs duty would be applied on anything over £135, and they add customs duty to the shipping - which shouldn't happen. If you take some cash on holiday with you to New York, and pay for a cab ride, UK customs don't screw you for 20% of that cab fare when you get back! You are paying for a service outside of the country. Groan. It still amuses me how I can buy cheaper stuff from China, and the shipping is less than it would be to send it across my own town. It's gone half-way around the world for cheaper, and STILL had to be delivered by a fellow in a red van here. It's nuts.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I did not. I knew of there being an EU warehouse at some time. I'd never really looked at the site, needing to register to see pricing.
But if there was not much of a difference in price vs. importing from outside EU, then I can understand some lack of interest. Although, as @Harmonie points out, it's less hassle and quicker to not go 'round the houses.

Just seen HD650 £319 free shipping from a UK bricks and mortar chain of stores. They used to do great deals in the shop, but I dunno so much now - and I ain't going around shops right now.

I made an edit to the original post. Customs duty would be applied on anything over £135, and they add customs duty to the shipping - which shouldn't happen. If you take some cash on holiday with you to New York, and pay for a cab ride, UK customs don't screw you for 20% of that cab fare when you get back! You are paying for a service outside of the country. Groan. It still amuses me how I can buy cheaper stuff from China, and the shipping is less than it would be to send it across my own town. It's gone half-way around the world for cheaper, and STILL had to be delivered by a fellow in a red van here. It's nuts.

My experience of buying c$300 items from Drop to UK is that shipping is very reasonable (lets say $10 on an amp)- the hit is when the courier / royal mail hits you for the VAT, customs fees etc as you note . Ive not experienced significant fees when paying for he order to Drop- this may be a recent change.

OP
L5730

L5730

Actually - I have discovered the worst thing about Drop for non US customers. Desirable item comes on Drop- but 3 month window. You buy, knowing you can cancel no questions.

One month later- same desirable item or even newer shinier more desirable item is available immediately for similar price to Drop but from different seller.

You cancel Drop order.

You check credit card statement for refund and find youve taken a 20 quid hit between purchase transaction and refund transaction. Combination of bank fees for foreign currency and XR fluctuations.

I had a similar experience with a US seller for a DVD they claimed to have. This was on ebay or Amazon. It wasn't too expensive. As the seller didn't have the item after a while of waiting, I requested a refund and got my refund of the list price $ USD. However, I had exchange fees in both directions (paypal) so lost a few quid there. It wasn't terribly expensive, so the losses weren't high, but it's an eye opener.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DV247 have the HD650 for £299 and have a store in Romford... https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Sen...MI_uDh-s3t6wIVWODtCh0VsQSYEAQYAiABEgJshPD_BwE

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You cancel Drop order.

In substance their Website is very well named (for EU's that we are) ... DROP this and look elsewhere ... :p

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a similar experience with a US seller for a DVD they claimed to have. This was on ebay or Amazon. It wasn't too expensive. As the seller didn't have the item after a while of waiting, I requested a refund and got my refund of the list price $ USD. However, I had exchange fees in both directions (paypal) so lost a few quid there. It wasn't terribly expensive, so the losses weren't high, but it's an eye opener.

Yes- and to clarify, I recognise this gripe isnt a seller driven issue- just another consideration if buying from Drop or an overseas retailer. That said, the 789 is amazing.

OP
L5730

L5730

Yes- and to clarify, I recognise this gripe isnt a seller driven issue- just another consideration if buying from Drop or an overseas retailer. That said, the 789 is amazing.
As the internet and e-tail (e-retail?) has taken on such a big part of shopping habits, it's easy to forget about the potential nuisances of the whole overseas transaction. We're used to click, enter details, pay and wait for the knock on the door. If something goes wrong, or we change our mind before it's been shipped, we just get our monies back.

I'm watching for how things will be here after January, in regards to getting stuff from Europe. I think the UK relies on food and goods coming from the various countries too much to make things too difficult.
Makes me wonder if I should snap up an RME Babyface Pro FS now for ~£600 - even though it's beyond my needs (and, seemingly many others too).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As the internet and e-tail (e-retail?) has taken on such a big part of shopping habits, it's easy to forget about the potential nuisances of the whole overseas transaction. We're used to click, enter details, pay and wait for the knock on the door. If something goes wrong, or we change our mind before it's been shipped, we just get our monies back.

I'm watching for how things will be here after January, in regards to getting stuff from Europe. I think the UK relies on food and goods coming from the various countries too much to make things too difficult.
Makes me wonder if I should snap up an RME Babyface Pro FS now for ~£600 - even though it's beyond my needs (and, seemingly many others too).

Save that £600 for when beans and bread are £10 a pop in February.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
...or Toilet roll.

Wasn't me...

1600293053220.png

kauymatty

VAT @ 20%, £36
Shipping $15 so £12

Fell off my chair when I came across this (I've been considering snagging a pair), so went to have a look.

So think you've got everything right - but just on the import duty, I've not seen a reference to 20% around, just the 2.5% you mentioned.

I'd expect, approximately, (£177 + £12 (shipping)) * 2.5% = £4.7

In fact, from

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/8518300090?country=US&currency=EUR#overview

Seems headphones may actually have 0 import duty fees.

I used the simply duty calculator as a sense check and seems to agree.

Which brings it back down to around £235 all in, which is...okay. Somehow the extra £36 really puts it over the edge as not worth it for me.

Let me know what you think/if you ever pulled the trigger on a pair!

Top Bottom