• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Driving H25s: any point going beyond the LG 7 Thinq?

imateacup

I love my HD25-1-ii's - they suit the music I listen to and they're tougher than a Glaswegian tank raised by a Cockney cagefighter. Which definitely matters, given the way I knock gear around. And they're very, very easy headphones to drive.

I'm also a big believer in EQ, especially using pink noise to optimize for the fit between a particular user and headphone.

I listen to Velvet Underground style rock and Americana, and I want to get into jazz more. (I'll probably put some Yax earpads on the 25s that are supposed to give better separation.)

...So, having read reviews here, buying a used LG 7 Thinq looks like a good option. It gets me a great DAC and a decent amp, EQ will be easy with the right player, and driving the 25s shouldn't be a problem?

Am I missing something? Is there a better solution? I doesn't have to be portable, although that would be nice. I looked at the Qudelux 5K, but unless I get hold of an LDAC source I'm not sure the sound will be better - or even as good?

Also - not very important, but I'm curious - can I bypass the Thinq amp to drive another amp if I want?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I love my HD25-1-ii's - they suit the music I listen to and they're tougher than a Glaswegian tank raised by a Cockney cagefighter. Which definitely matters, given the way I knock gear around. And they're very, very easy headphones to drive.

I'm also a big believer in EQ, especially using pink noise to optimize for the fit between a particular user and headphone.

I listen to Velvet Underground style rock and Americana, and I want to get into jazz more. (I'll probably put some Yax earpads on the 25s that are supposed to give better separation.)

...So, having read reviews here, buying a used LG 7 Thinq looks like a good option. It gets me a great DAC and a decent amp, EQ will be easy with the right player, and driving the 25s shouldn't be a problem?

Am I missing something? Is there a better solution? I doesn't have to be portable, although that would be nice. I looked at the Qudelux 5K, but unless I get hold of an LDAC source I'm not sure the sound will be better - or even as good?

Also - not very important, but I'm curious - can I bypass the Thinq amp to drive another amp if I want?

LG G7 Thinq should be good in this application. Yes you can use it as a streamer with a dongle or as a streamer / DAC with an external amp. A simple cheap cable is all you need for the latter. If you're in the EU you might want to verify if the output is castrated. I know some EU market phone versions are like that; I forget which ones though.

OP
I

imateacup

LG G7 Thinq should be good in this application. Yes you can use it as a streamer with a dongle or as a streamer / DAC with an external amp. A simple cheap cable is all you need for the latter. If you're in the EU you might want to verify if the output is castrated. I know some EU market phone versions are like that; I forget which ones though.
According to my check, the Thinq was limited for all markets except perhaps Korea. So I should get a match for the phone reviewed here. Very good point!

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Be aware if you upgrade to andriod 10, you lose DSD.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
The idea that people can hear a difference between DSD and any other full-range file seems very suspect. Can't imagine needing DSD for any reason, personally and I have had DACs quite capable of excellent DSD for years and never once bothered. Loss of DSD - bah, not a problem I think. I have both the G7 and G8.

Top Bottom