• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does leaving the volume pot at ~3 o'clock for years damage it?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I leave my Schiit Heresy headphone amp behind the monitor to collect dust. I plan on doing this for years. I repaired a large Kenwood integrated with a huge volume potentiometer assembly. The pot had a very tinyyy tiny spot on the dial @ about 1:30 that would cause a snap/crackle and I wondered what would cause this? Is it possible leaving a pot in one position for years can cause wear at the microscopic electronic level?

Zek

Major Contributor
There can be several causes - dust has accumulated over time or the potentiometer has oxidized. Look for some cleaning spray, it might help.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Any offset from poor upstream components or leaky caps/DC on the wiper will cause that.

I have few pieces of test gear that develop issues like that. My old signal generator set at 1kHz (exactly) needs a new dual gang matched pot every 15 years due to the same issue.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There can be several causes - dust has accumulated over time or the potentiometer has oxidized. Look for some cleaning spray, it might help.
The pot was treated with a strong cleaner lubricant and it still had that very small position where it could pop tweeters.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
As you probably know, sometimes multiple full-sweeps will "clean-up" a pot, at least temporarily. But years of active operation could do the opposite and wear it out so I'm not sure which is worse...

Is there a difference between 3PM and 3AM? :p

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As you probably know, sometimes multiple full-sweeps will "clean-up" a pot, at least temporarily. But years of active operation could do the opposite and wear it out so I'm not sure which is worse...

Is there a difference between 3PM and 3AM? :p
Yes, I've attempted wearing through the dirt to a better contact and lots of solvent cleaner/lube and keep going at it but it was pointless. That volume control assembly to replace with a like or better assembly would cost in the multiple hundreds for one if one could even be found. So into the suspect amp category that it might pop tweeters if used around that volume position. :D Yes, I see it now...LoL. :D

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
If you know it will be in the same position for years, you could swap the pot for a resistor divider network and add the pot back in if you want variable control again.

As others have said, DC will cause a problem. I also imagine that, even without DC, if the period is long enough there may be chemical interaction between the wiper and track leading to something similar to a tiny cold weld.

Mixing desks have hundreds of pots, some of which don't get moved often. They can be crackly as a result and benefit from the occasional sweep or clean.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious, can't you find something more suitable that doesn't have such a pot (or need one)?

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious, can't you find something more suitable that doesn't have such a pot (or need one)?
I don't want to spend the moola for higher end volume control methods. I'm curious what info would pop up if I posted this thread and I have some info now. Use it and if it develops an arc spot on the pot resistor element then buy a new one.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't want to spend the moola for higher end volume control methods. I'm curious what info would pop up if I posted this thread and I have some info now. Use it and if it develops an arc spot on the pot resistor element then buy a new one.
Just hard for me to imagine a use for this in the first place, so curious.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just hard for me to imagine a use for this in the first place, so curious.
For a technician or EE it is very good knowledge to understand what causes this major issue in some gear. I never knew about it's cause but I've been aware of the effect for decades and I was never able to 100% determine a cause that could be repaired. I knew something was damaging the pots at a miniscule location at the resistive element but I never had a conclusive hint at the root cause. :D

Top Bottom