• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Speakers tailored for small room

ppataki

Major Contributor
What are the downsides of bigger diameters?

Bigger diameter = narrower dispersion and beaming (= less reflections in a room but very small sweet spot - I love it, other people hate it)
The advantage is bigger cone surface which can move more air = can be pushed to lower bass and/or higher SPL

ppataki

Major Contributor

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Rising diameter means narrowing dispersion, so if you want wide (constant) directivity, the smaller is the better.
But if you aim at narrow beaming (to avoid, for example, reflections/echoes from sidewalls), greater diameter may fit your needs better.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
... and building 4 small subs to handle everything below 100hz.

I resemble that remark!

What pops into my head when I see all that space behind your speakers is, bipolars. The spectrally-correct output from the rear-firing drivers will have a long reflection path and imo this is desirable.

You can do a test run with the speakers you already have, in effect comparing a single monopolar speaker with a single bipolar speaker:

Place one speaker in the middle of the room at your normal speaker distance, facing you. Place the second speaker maybe six inches behind it, facing the opposite direction. Ideally send a mono signal to each speaker. If you have a balance control, you can use that to effectively turn the rear-facing speaker off. Anyway the idea is to compare monopole (signal only going to the speaker facing you) vs bipole (signal going to both speakers). You may want to turn down the volume for the bipolar configuration a little bit so that it doesn't get an unfair advantage from the slight increase in SPL from the extra reflection energy contributed by the rear-firing drivers.

Of course this won't be a controlled blind test but imo such is not always needed in order to make a sufficiently informed evaluation.

If you find the bipolar configuration to have some promise, here's a link to an article I did for an online magazine about thirteen years ago. Some of the ideas are outdated but some of them may be useful to you:

Last edited:
OP
S

Svarog98

I resemble that remark!

What pops into my head when I see all that space behind your speakers is, bipolars. The spectrally-correct output from the rear-firing drivers will have a long reflection path and imo this is desirable.

You can do a test run with the speakers you already have, in effect comparing a single monopolar speaker with a single bipolar speaker:

Place one speaker in the middle of the room at your normal speaker distance, facing you. Place the second speaker maybe six inches behind it, facing the opposite direction. Ideally send a mono signal to each speaker. If you have a balance control, you can use that to effectively turn the rear-facing speaker off. Anyway the idea is to compare monopole (signal only going to the speaker facing you) vs bipole (signal going to both speakers). You may want to turn down the volume for the bipolar configuration a little bit so that it doesn't get an unfair advantage from the slight increase in SPL from the extra reflection energy contributed by the rear-firing drivers.

Of course this won't be a controlled blind test but imo such is not always needed in order to make a sufficiently informed evaluation.

If you find the bipolar configuration to have some promise, here's a link to an article I did for an online magazine about thirteen years ago. Some of the ideas are outdated but some of them may be useful to you:

Great idea to incorporate the acoustically unused space! After reading both toole and your article i came up with 2 ideas. If very early reflections are less or even undesirable in this particular case then absorb the whole listening area as much as possible (should increase imaging) and let the other half of the room be very reflective and let it work as a reverb chamber:
2.png

Here is a variant with the front firing speakers being further apart for a wider image, but then of of the bipolar have to be separated, is that bringing me trouble?
1.png

or maybe full range drivers with narrow dispersion instead of heavy absorbtion?

For the swarm subs: would 4 x 8" be enough for this small room or is it not going down to 20hz?
3 x 10" and one 12" would be optimal i guess...

Last edited:

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Great idea to incorporate the acoustically unused space! After reading both toole and your article i came up with 2 ideas. If very early reflections are less or even undesirable in this particular case then absorb the whole listening area as much as possible (should increase imaging) and let the other half of the room be very reflective and let it work as a reverb chamber:
View attachment 317891
Here is a variant with the front firing speakers being further apart for a wider image, but then of of the bipolar have to be separated, is that bringing me trouble?
View attachment 317890
or maybe full range drivers with narrow dispersion instead of heavy absorbtion?

For the swarm subs: would 4 x 8" be enough for this small room or is it not going down to 20hz?
3 x 10" and one 12" would be optimal i guess...

I'd suggest trying the cobbled-together "single monopolar speaker vs single bipolar speaker" test before investing in another pair of speakers.

And I'm not really confident that back-to-back or splayed monopole speakers, two per channel, would work as well as purpose-built bipolars. But it may be more practical.

OP
S

Svarog98

I'd suggest trying the cobbled-together "single monopolar speaker vs single bipolar speaker" test before investing in another pair of speakers.

And I'm not really confident that back-to-back or splayed monopole speakers, two per channel, would work as well as purpose-built bipolars. But it may be more practical.
I performed the test today:
  1. Having one revel speaker in the middle of 2 side walls makes it sound very decent ( even though only one was playing )
  2. Having the second one as a virtual bipolar made it make sound fuller, without messing things up too much :)
  3. Hard to come to a full conclusion without the stereo imaging, which i really missed BUT i often hear to the revels from the other side of the room and enjoy it very much
(Performed without subs/DSP which made a real decision even harder)

From what i heard the diffuse/reverberant field is most likely what i was looking for when buying speakers, funny (or sad) enough, that i discarded all bipolars because i thought they're no real speakers...

OP
S

Svarog98

I’ve read the article again (a good read btw) and I realised that I misunderstood a lot of things in the beginning.
I initially thought that the front and backfiring side of the cabinet are adjacent but they’re not, otherwise it would mean front and side firing…

With my setup the right speaker is very next to the wall.
Even worse: the left speaker has an angled back wall with would result in reflecting its rear output directly back to me…
Is it possible to build a speaker with this kind of approach but with a front and side baffle?

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Is it possible to build a speaker with this kind of approach but with a front and side baffle?
Yes! In fact my "bucket list" includes building something like that; it's not at the top of my bucket list but it's on it.

I think it would be called a "splayed array".

Here is a commercial design with that sort of configuration, and as you'll see it impressed me enormously:

And here are Amir's photos of the room, post number 29 of this thread if the link doesn't take your straight to it. (Ignore the caption in the box below, it's referring to something else):

Last edited:
OP
S

Svarog98

The shape if the hotel room looks very familiar to mine. If this system sounded incredible then I hope that building them will be worth it .
I will build the 4 subs first. I heared it’s not hard to do and I can get some experience first.

Top Bottom