• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon PMR-725R mid to late 90s integrated

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Am searching the UK used market for working reasonable condition hidden gems to set up a cheap vinyl system, and a couple of these have popped up. I can't find much other than a handful of very brief user reviews, a long shot that anyone has come across this or any from the PMR-x25 range?
725 has mm + mc phono, dual transformers, possibly Japanese components, though late 90s might be beyond the made in Japan era. I'm no expert in denon gear, and had no interest until now. The one I'm interested in could be sub £100, going to have a look tomorrow.

OP
Bernard23

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FWIW, and of course purely subjective as I've not way of measuring anything at home, but for £80 I think I found an undiscovered used gem. It's dynamic, hard hitting, spatial and sounds rough as F with some sources, so I'm presuming low distortion. A separate PS for each channel probably helps with the power delivery, I'm sure I read somewhere it had been measured at 26A peak current, which I took with a pinch of sodium chloride. Mine is in good condition cosmetically, and bought from a telecoms engineer who had a bench full of gear in various stages of repair and refurb. He reckoned it was one of the best he'd heard in a while, to my ears through a pair of AE Aegis 1s, it was a much more dynamic and bigger sound than the C340 he had on the bench for comparison.

There's another one used here, though massively overpriced:

Top Bottom