• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton Audio EMM-6 and the dubious calibration file

dasdoing

Major Contributor
ever since this mic came out the calibration files was questioned, e.g.: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?34520-The-ECM-8000-is-now-the-EMM-6-and-comes-calibrated

whatever the accurancy is, this suggests the file is calibrated to anechoic conditions: https://mnaganov.github.io/2019/12/understanding-microphone-calibration.html

meaning that in a reverbarant room it will actualy meassure less HF than there realy is.
the artice suggest using it without the calibration.
I modified my file like this though:

original

a.jpg

the "anechoic fall" (= rise on a correction) seams to be visable above 6860-ish

So I created an eye-balled correction in wordpad:

b.jpg

and "convolved" (a times b) it with the original

c.jpg

finaly, since my sub/room has output down to 10Hz-ish I eyeball extended the rolloff (and guess-extended to 24Khz, too)

d.jpg

that LF extension makes a lot of sense in my meassurements since I have a resonance around 11Hz-ish which now looks much more like you would expect a resonance to look like

thoughts?

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Part of me thinks it doesn't matter too much since as the guy in the linked article says at the end, you usually end up customizing the target anyways. I am curious though so I might measure my system again without the Dayton EMM6 cal and see how that compares to it being on.

What's your cal file say for the dayton? I've got two big ones at 17 and 18khz but I don't see correction in the cal file that would line up with the rise in your HF response.

OP
dasdoing

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Part of me thinks it doesn't matter too much

it doesn't, since the affected area is above the crucial mids...So if you hear "too much cymbals", you adjust, yea.
I still like the idea of having a (hopefully) more acurate graph.
What's your cal file say for the dayton?

my original cal is the first graph.
You thougt it was my meassurement, right?

So I am not sure if I get the folowing

I've got two big ones at 17 and 18khz but I don't see correction in the cal file that would line up with the rise in your HF response.

mightycicadalord

Oh well dang, that seems like you have some major corrections if those all just calibrations.

How does one plot this calibration file?

mightycicadalord

I can't say I've had any off results with it. It does however have a way of telling me things I don't like, like how I don't like the Amiga speakers I made and will probably redesign the xover and swap the woofer...

OP
dasdoing

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I can't say I've had any off results with it. It does however have a way of telling me things I don't like, like how I don't like the Amiga speakers I made and will probably redesign the xover and swap the woofer...

we should swap the mics lol, as mine would be the one to use to meassure loudspeakers semi-anechoic.
funny to see the resonances kind of matching. can you share you cal (if you don't mind)? So I can overlay them

here is mine:

Attachments

• 18306.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 132

dimezis

Mine looks pretty much like yours and I also have some doubts that it's correct in high frequencies, at least based on what I'm hearing.

SCR-20240317-rghm.png

Top Bottom