• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Corey Greenberg

Robin L

Master Contributor
For some strange reason, Stereophile just now posted this "review" from Corey Greenberg, doing his finest impersonation of Hunter S. Thompson. This was published back when I was a subscriber, and demonstrates those qualities that drew me to the magazine, along with the scribblings of Sam Tellig:

"Karaoke, on the other hand, all but demands that you get wasted, because not only do most people need to get drunk before they'll get up in front of a crowd and belt "Green-Eyed Lady," but you sing better, too. All those soul-man vocal curlicues that seemed to come so easily to Otis Redding just roll off your swollen tongue, believe me. In fact, I can cut Otis's ass on "Dock Of The Bay," and after 15 Miller Genuine Drafts, so could you."

Katji

Major Contributor
:D I am in awe. Thrilling. :D

I feel like I need to get one of these, not for karaoke, just because it's a great machine.

Or at least get that piece about cutting Otis's ass printed on an acoustic panel.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah, CG made it worth reading

But when I told people I had a Home Karaoke, they flipped: "YOU HAVE A KARAOKE?! Oh man, you gotta bring it over!" I have never once heard any of these people cry, "YOU HAVE A HAND-WOUND MOVING-COIL CARTRIDGE?!Let's party naked!"

Katji

Major Contributor
^^...Apparently he moved on.
However...

"Corey Greenberg initially appeared in the April 1991 issue of Stereophile, where he reviewed four stereo power amps. His first review was the VTL Tiny Triode monoblocks, which started off as follows:

‘During the time of the Native-American Comanches, a young brave had to undergo many trials by fire before he earned the respect of the tribe’s adults. He was violently beaten by the men, humiliated by the women, and forced to endure physical torture such as the slow flaying of the foreskin with smoldering pine saplings drawn from the fire. Alienated from the tribe, exiled until he proved his manhood, he had to survive on wriggling cream-colored larvae and infrequent rainwater. Legend speaks of these [] youths, dehydrated and disoriented, crawling around on their hands and knees and baying like wolves at the moon.’

[...] "Much of his work is lurking in the archives of the Stereophile site, which is a genuine treasure trove of old gold. A search at www.stereophile.com will reveal all."

Better get to it and save some it before it is removed.

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
^^...Apparently he moved on.
However...

"Corey Greenberg initially appeared in the April 1991 issue of Stereophile, where he reviewed four stereo power amps. His first review was the VTL Tiny Triode monoblocks, which started off as follows:

‘During the time of the Native-American Comanches, a young brave had to undergo many trials by fire before he earned the respect of the tribe’s adults. He was violently beaten by the men, humiliated by the women, and forced to endure physical torture such as the slow flaying of the foreskin with smoldering pine saplings drawn from the fire. Alienated from the tribe, exiled until he proved his manhood, he had to survive on wriggling cream-colored larvae and infrequent rainwater. Legend speaks of these [] youths, dehydrated and disoriented, crawling around on their hands and knees and baying like wolves at the moon.’

[...] "Much of his work is lurking in the archives of the Stereophile site, which is a genuine treasure trove of old gold. A search at www.stereophile.com will reveal all."

Better get to it and save some it before it is removed.
His record reviews were often fantastic. He helped me discover the Red Devils, Michelle Shocked, PJ Harvey and a dozen others that have given me thousands of hours of pleasure. I went through some lean years in school between careers and stopped all audiophile activity, but kept my Stereophile subscription going just to read the writing, especially CG,

SMc

He was highly entertaining in Stereophile. He did gadget profiles for the Today Show (a la Dick deBartolo on GMA) for a time but it ended badly. He's credited with starting a trend for wet shaving.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor

nsfgp

Great reviewer/writer. Still using the Canare digiflex gold coax and PBJ cables till now :)

Top Bottom