• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Competition for Danley’s Hyperion

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes, but you have them set up next to each other in a home style room. Are they not meant as a full range speaker for the home enthusiast?
They are both designed to be transparent transducers, how you use them and for what purpose is down to the end user.
Keith

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have aways experienced higher spl capable speakers systems (active and passive) perform better than lower spl rated systems at moderate home levels - say 75- 80dB.

I have never experienced this nor have I seen measurements showing that speakers that can't go as loud lack dynamics or compress dynamic range.

I think that often, people simply like loudness and mistake it for dynamics. Unless there is audible distortion or actual compression, a speaker operating in it's working range should sound no more dynamic than another speaker set to the same volume.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What about GGNTKT M3 (if they ever release), worthy competitor?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never experienced this nor have I seen measurements showing that speakers that can't go as loud lack dynamics or compress dynamic range.

I think that often, people simply like loudness and mistake it for dynamics. Unless there is audible distortion or actual compression, a speaker operating in it's working range should sound no more dynamic than another speaker set to the same volume.
The Jury is out and numerous anecdotes and observations point toward a different opinion. Speaking about me here: I have espoused and now, champion the Objective cause. I am however on the fence when it comes to that. Some speakers, often horns, but mostly high efficiency speakers present music differently, not louder, differently and for most people it seems to be in the way of the reproduction of dynamics "shades", "gradients", "nuances" or any word you want ... They can be startling...

This needs to be approached with open mind and find the measurements that explain the phenomenon...

Peace

yourmando

Could a “poor man’s” competion for Danley’s Hyperion / HRE1 be:

1. Danley SM60f
2. 2+ Subwoofers
3. DSP

The HRE1 appears to have a roughly SM60f sized synergy horn up top, so the lower limit of pattern control should be similar since it’s proportional to horn size.

The woofers fill in the bottom end but we’re omnidirectional at that point, allowing a force cancelling side mount.

The HRE1 on-axis magnitude + phase response that has been floating around shows nearly perfectly flat anechoic curves thanks to the new built in DSP. (In contrast SH50 & SM60f have very rough curves that are meant to be eq’d on site.)

I’m sure there are other improvements in the signature series, but it seems like you could get a lot of the way there starting with the SM60f as a base.

With multiple subwoofers, you could do multi-sub optimization as well, and have more flexible placement options vs refrigerator sized speakers.

With something like a MiniDSP Flex, you could smooth out the frequency response and/or add room correction, as well as add multiple subs, optimized with something like MSO. You might even be able to lineariaze the phase a good amount (not sure if audible). And it gives you a decent preamp as well.

The only thing is the SM60f wouldn’t look great in a house, but perhaps it could be housed in a fancy wood cabinet/shell just for appearance.

Just brainstorming!

Curvature

Major Contributor
I
Could a “poor man’s” competion for Danley’s Hyperion / HRE1 be:

1. Danley SM60f
2. 2+ Subwoofers
3. DSP

The HRE1 appears to have a roughly SM60f sized synergy horn up top, so the lower limit of pattern control should be similar since it’s proportional to horn size.

The woofers fill in the bottom end but we’re omnidirectional at that point, allowing a force cancelling side mount.

The HRE1 on-axis magnitude + phase response that has been floating around shows nearly perfectly flat anechoic curves thanks to the new built in DSP. (In contrast SH50 & SM60f have very rough curves that are meant to be eq’d on site.)

I’m sure there are other improvements in the signature series, but it seems like you could get a lot of the way there starting with the SM60f as a base.

With multiple subwoofers, you could do multi-sub optimization as well, and have more flexible placement options vs refrigerator sized speakers.

With something like a MiniDSP Flex, you could smooth out the frequency response and/or add room correction, as well as add multiple subs, optimized with something like MSO. You might even be able to lineariaze the phase a good amount (not sure if audible). And it gives you a decent preamp as well.

The only thing is the SM60f wouldn’t look great in a house, but perhaps it could be housed in a fancy wood cabinet/shell just for appearance.

Just brainstorming!
Seems like a really good idea.

Top Bottom