• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Competition for Danley’s Hyperion

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really just a ‘what would people pay for these compared to the competition’ question.
Keith

I'd pay an amount less than the Kii Three+BXT, Dutch & Dutch 8c, or Genelec 8361+W371.

Reasoning: The primary goal of this seems to be loudness... and every speaker I own can already go "too loud."

This lacks the even dispersion of The Ones vertically (correct me if I'm wrong... Maybe the multi-way horn solves this?), and cardioid bass of the others. I think I'd love listening to it as it seems somewhat accurate and the bass extension should be great, but outside of the sweet spot and needed to get a third party room correction box and potentially multiple subs to even out the bass anyway... Tough sell.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

A bit of a rambling...

From what I have been learning the past few years, very much thanks to ASR, a the supposed level of the Hyperion, 8351 + W371, M2, arguably Salon 2 or F328BE, you are in the area of preferences not of sheer number-based performance. I have no doubt that in term of sheer SPL the Hyperion will be on top of them all from 20 to 20,000 Hz.. Speaking for myself 95 dB is very loud.. I tried once to push my system to some peaks of 112 dB at the LP and my ears rung for days.. although the exposure was less than a minute...
Thus comes presentation... soundstage.. scale... "bigness", etc.. And aesthetics where the Hyerion loses for , closely followed by the M2 which I find singularly ugly... and at this point there is no clear measurements for these impressions.

To conclude.
Any of the aforementioned speakers represent the SOTA. IMO. Physics favor the W371A + 8351 approach in a 2-channel configuration, it can do cardioid bass. If I were to find the courage to convince myself to spend $30 K, at this point in time, that is the 2-channel system I would acquire. Then again a pair of F328 BE with 4 SVS or Ryhtmik or Monoprice or HU or ... subwoofers, controlled by a miniDSP 2x4 and linearized with MSO (Multi Subeofer Optimizer) + some Hypex mega-amp + miniDSP SHD or equivalent (are there any? :)), is a beguiling proposition for similar budget but may require heavy lifting to make it work as well as the GLM would the Genelec combo... The M2 seems to be a complex beast that may not be as Home-friendly as the others, even the Genelec (8351 + W371) combo ... which I find aesthetically pleasing ... (to each their own).

FWIW. I have only heard the Revel Salon 2 and that, many years ago...

Peace

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I'd pay an amount less than the Kii Three+BXT, Dutch & Dutch 8c, or Genelec 8361+W371.

Reasoning: The primary goal of this seems to be loudness... and every speaker I own can already go "too loud."

This lacks the even dispersion of The Ones vertically (correct me if I'm wrong... Maybe the multi-way horn solves this?), and cardioid bass of the others. I think I'd love listening to it as it seems somewhat accurate and the bass extension should be great, but outside of the sweet spot and needed to get a third party room correction box and potentially multiple subs to even out the bass anyway... Tough sell.
Steve it’s not just volume, it is the impact/weight of the sound it’s hard to explain but instantly obvious when you compare even full range Mesanovic’s to the Danleys as I am doing at this very moment, I have stopped the piano from resonating but London Grammar’s ‘hey now’ still shakes the entire house.
Keith

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Similar, but again, doesn't extend as deep as the Hyperion -- on the other hand, that may actually be not such a bad thing at all as sub placement oftentimes require different position to get better results in many rooms -- if one is prepared to deal with bass-management. It also has the advantage of not looking like a refrigerator appliance. ;) Though there is something a little funny going on with that abrupt change in it's phase response around the crossover -- just a slight imperfection... but probably not anything to worry about.

It's supposed to be a satellite speaker it seems, but -6dB at 40Hz and with max SPL like that = likely fantastic for most people who can live with that directivity.

But yes, active and coaxial with horn - not many like that and closest to fitting the bill for Keith @Purité Audio, as well as coming in between his HEDD and GGNTKT speakers wrt price. Only Equator Audio and Fulcrum Acoustics IIRC have horn coaxials but those have terrible diffraction issues. I also can't help but think Danley's horn profiles are a tad behind modern, optimised ones like those from Joseph Crowe, SEOS, Geddes OS, GGNTKT or these funky Reflector ones with a lot of roundovers.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The others use waveguides for the tweeters but none place HF/Mid and upper bass drivers within the horn itself.
Keith

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Only Equator Audio and Fulcrum Acoustics IIRC have horn coaxials but those have terrible diffraction issues. I also can't help but think Danley's horn profiles are a tad behind modern, optimised ones like those from Joseph Crowe, SEOS, Geddes OS, GGNTKT or these funky Reflector ones with a lot of roundovers.

Yes, diffractions will be there — how “terrible” they really are realistically in terms of contribution to sound coloration or psychoacoustically even after the FIR DSP correction is probably a matter of debate. Just to be sure, listen to one to make your own determination whether your ears can readily handle the diffraction terror or not.

But, yes, the latter group will likely have a more “refined” frequency response.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just comparing the Danleys to the RTM10’s taking USB and AES from my little Lumin into the Soncoz and RME,

Keith

Axo1989

Major Contributor
... I have stopped the piano from resonating but London Grammar’s ‘hey now’ still shakes the entire house.
Keith
Nice. Don't you love they way they snuck the deep bass into their otherwise very polite and agreeable music?

PS: I'll pop that track on the headphones and imagine I've won the speakers instead of the t-shirt :)

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Back to the speakers.

A few of the higher-end horn speakers make the horns themselves a thing of beauty (or deliberate aesthetic focus, tastes vary). This one suffers from aesthetics similar to the M2, functional but unexciting to look at (unless size is its own reward). If there was a way of constructing the horn out of a more presentable material the pricing could go up (the cost would too, of course). Say machined timber, cast or fabbed metal, or polished composite.

Also I guess smaller versions will be less challenging.

Last edited:

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RTJ's (JTR) biggest offering. Coaxial compression driver, 4x10" (mid)woofers and 18" subs.

1645212102976.png

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Danley‘s own ILE ASR exclusive,

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
2x8“ 5” coax hi/mid danley I am sure will publish specs and measurements in time , listening to the Hyperions now and they really are a, ugly but with the lights off… and b, sound absolutely awesome.
Took a bit of work with REW and Roon peq because bass extension and weight is extreme .
Keith

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I have aways experienced higher spl capable speakers systems (active and passive) perform better than lower spl rated systems at moderate home levels - say 75- 80dB. More dynamics, presence, less harshness/?strain.
Then again may all be psychacoustics on my part.

To the original question - if it is priced the same as the mesanovic but performs at a higher level.....

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have aways experienced higher spl capable speakers systems (active and passive) perform better than lower spl rated systems at moderate home levels - say 75- 80dB. More dynamics, presence, less harshness/?strain.
Then again may all be psychacoustics on my part.

To the original question - if it is priced the same as the mesanovic but performs at a higher level.....
They are designed for different purposes, the next trip our for the Hyperions is in front of 200 guests for a ’classic album sunday’ at the British Museum.
Keith

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They are designed for different purposes, the next trip our for the Hyperions is in front of 200 guests for a ’classic album sunday’ at the British Museum.
Keith

Yes, but you have them set up next to each other in a home style room. Are they not meant as a full range speaker for the home enthusiast?

Vuki

Steve it’s not just volume, it is the impact/weight of the sound it’s hard to explain but instantly obvious when you compare even full range Mesanovic’s to the Danleys as I am doing at this very moment, I have stopped the piano from resonating but London Grammar’s ‘hey now’ still shakes the entire house.
Keith
Time to contribute to:

:)

Top Bottom