• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Compatible hi frequency titanium compression drivers for DSP powered 3 way LEM 6TA speaker

Energy

I have recently acquired a pair of LEM 6TA 3 way DSP powered speakers I plan to cosmetically refurbish. The hi frequency horns don't have any sound coming out so I assume are blown?. ( 1" titanium 4/8 ohm)
To save on costs and avoid being ripped off with silly repair fees the U.k. charge over here I'd like to buy a pair of good quality bolt on compression drivers I can fit to the horns myself which would be compatible and run nicely with these speakers.
Due to the company (Lem) no longer in buisness and no availability of parts anywhere I would be buying another branded part.
LEM Speaker manual

I would like some advice on suitable compression drivers for these please.

Thanks

Last edited:

ChrisG

Looks like it's an active cabinet, so the built-in EQ and limiters will be for the particular driver that's been installed.

Before proceeding, I'd recommend taking a multi-meter to the existng HF drivers, and making sure they're open-circuit. It's possible that the amplifier module has stopped working instead.

Finally, the 18Sound NSD1095 gets my recommendation as an excellent 1" HF driver.

Chris

OP
Energy

Energy

Looks like it's an active cabinet, so the built-in EQ and limiters will be for the particular driver that's been installed.

Before proceeding, I'd recommend taking a multi-meter to the existng HF drivers, and making sure they're open-circuit. It's possible that the amplifier module has stopped working instead.

Finally, the 18Sound NSD1095 gets my recommendation as an excellent 1" HF driver.

Chris
Hi Chris,

I was thinking it may be either 1 of the 2 issues myself. So I have been looking on you tube for instructions how to check the amp module in a powered speaker for faults etc. So far nothing coming up relating to this procedure. I thought about posting some close up photos of the amp module to see if anyone could run through it with me which connections/ contacts to touch with the prongs on the multimeter because I have little experience with this sort of thing and unsure what I am looking at on the PCB board.

Thanks for your response

Regards Mark

ChrisG

Hi Mark,

To test the existing amp module, you could connect the HF leads to another speaker and see what comes out. Most of us have a smallish sacrificial/test speaker for these purposes.

Alternatively, if you've got a decent DVM which will read high-frequency signals okay, put a 10kHz test tone into the amp, and measure the voltage at the HF driver terminals.

Once you've got that far, it's easy to disconnect the amp from the HF driver, and check for continuity through the driver. You're expecting anywhere from 3ohm up to 15ohm. Far outside of that range (less than 1ohm, or more than 50ohm), and chances are your driver's dead.

Chris

OP
Energy

Energy

Hi Mark,

To test the existing amp module, you could connect the HF leads to another speaker and see what comes out. Most of us have a smallish sacrificial/test speaker for these purposes.

Alternatively, if you've got a decent DVM which will read high-frequency signals okay, put a 10kHz test tone into the amp, and measure the voltage at the HF driver terminals.

Once you've got that far, it's easy to disconnect the amp from the HF driver, and check for continuity through the driver. You're expecting anywhere from 3ohm up to 15ohm. Far outside of that range (less than 1ohm, or more than 50ohm), and chances are your driver's dead.

Chris
I do not have the nessasary equipment for doing any diagnostic testing unfortunately. I am going to borrow a multi-meter firstly and test the compression drivers first to see if they are the fault. If they work then I'll have no choice but to send both the amp modules to a local disco repair shop. I did manage to find the scamatics of the speakers online to test the components with detailed step by step instructions which was interesting to look through.

Thanks again Chris for the advice

Last edited:
Top Bottom