• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
@ryanosaur is right-on 99.9% of the time but you notice he got the bug and can't stop upgrading or modifying.:cool:
No more mods since I went through replacing my pump and burrs last year. ;)
That doesn't account for good steaming, though. I did see a video that might make a difference... but I haven't tried it since I saw it last month... The basic gist is that if this guy is correct, I need to bleed off some hot water from my wand prior to Steaming... no other instruction I saw suggested this, but it makes sense. It's just another step in the process.
But since I can pull some very good quality shots and do it consistently, I just haven't been as determined to go back to re-learning how to Steam on this machine.
My (single) boiler tank seems to have plenty of pressure but I firmly believe I am the one that botches the steaming process.
I know people who use those cordless frothing wands but it just feels uncool to use one.:rolleyes:
Like Tamping, or pulling that manual lever of yours... Steaming is a skill. So is steaming 2 pitchers at once on a 3-head machine in the middle of the morning Rush!
So glad I hung up my Barista Apron! ;)

Danaxus

I almost had to disagree then i realized espresso related things in US are generally more expensive. The good grinder I recommend is around 400 eur here and 699$ over there. But you can check out DF64 which is probably around 500$ and is night and day difference compared to breville. It is chinese made so expect quirks, but overall very solid grinder.
The DF64 has its fans, but it's not a machine I'd personally recommend. That said if you're happy with it, that's wonderful! From what I've experienced, the SSP burr upgrade is arguably needed to get the most out of it (meaning you're in Niche-spending territory) , as well as some 3D-printed accessories to improve the workflow as well as stop coffee grinds covering your work surface every time you use the thing. Even if you stick with stock burrs, I've read you need to go in and manually align them because they're not great out of the box.

End of the day, it's fiddly, workflow is a bit of a pain, and you need to be technically-minded. It's definitely a product that can work really, really well for you, but it has a lot of caveats. The Niche I can recommend without any disclaimers - especially now it has an 83mm flat-burr version.

As for the Eureka Mignon Specialita, I have no experience with it, but sounds like it's a great machine that shouldn't be overlooked!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did see a video that might make a difference...
Yes.
I binged on a few of those yt videos about frothing... the wand-tip being just below the surface but not in center of vessel that is slightly tipped.
It is still a crapshoot, when I try it w/50mL (of milk) I like in my quad-shots: Milk starts scorching just as it is about to get a good head of foam.

delta76

Major Contributor
The DF64 has its fans, but it's not a machine I'd personally recommend. That said if you're happy with it, that's wonderful! From what I've experienced, the SSP burr upgrade is arguably needed to get the most out of it (meaning you're in Niche-spending territory) , as well as some 3D-printed accessories to improve the workflow as well as stop coffee grinds covering your work surface every time you use the thing. Even if you stick with stock burrs, I've read you need to go in and manually align them because they're not great out of the box.

End of the day, it's fiddly, workflow is a bit of a pain, and you need to be technically-minded. It's definitely a product that can work really, really well for you, but it has a lot of caveats. The Niche I can recommend without any disclaimers - especially now it has an 83mm flat-burr version.

As for the Eureka Mignon Specialita, I have no experience with it, but sounds like it's a great machine that shouldn't be overlooked!
yes that's the quirks. I was on phone so not so excited to type a lot, just a pointer where he can look.
I am very interested in Niche grinders but also hate their practice. they charge 20% VAT for UK, even if you ship to EU. That means you will have to pay EU import taxes on top of that (price + UK VAT + shipping fee). That's ridiculous. If they change that I might change my mind.

Strangely Specialita is likely the most popular entry level espresso grinder. Good grinding, very solid build, cheap enough. For someone who wants to get into serious espresso without paying too much, it's my default recommendation.

shawndo

Forum Donor
Not sure how out of touch I am, but I'd say $1000 is the minimum for an decent (not to be confused with Decent) espresso machine and grinder. Any less and I'd just buy a capable grinder and do pourover until I save up for the espresso machine.
(I'm out of town right now and surviving with my mom's mr. coffee grinder and a v60)

delta76

Major Contributor
Not sure how out of touch I am, but I'd say $1000 is the minimum for an decent (not to be confused with Decent) espresso machine and grinder. Any less and I'd just buy a capable grinder and do pourover until I save up for the espresso machine.
(I'm out of town right now and surviving with my mom's mr. coffee grinder and a v60)
You can make great espresso with less, if you go used or manual. But yes 1000$ new sounds about right to me.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can make great espresso with less, if you go used or manual. But yes 1000$ new sounds about right to me.
We would need another industrial revolution, like that of SMSL/Topping infusion in our other addiction.:facepalm:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
OK.

I feel out of touch.

What are the best Espresso Machines and Grinders right now.

Frankly, if it were up to me, I'd still be leaning toward a Lelit Bianca.

What say the crew here, please? What and Why.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
We would need another industrial revolution, like that of SMSL/Topping infusion in our other addiction.:facepalm:
Can we please get a Bruno to the rescue for next gen espresso gear?! :p

I might buy a Purifi Grinder if it made sense. :oops:

*insert spit-take gif of-choice here

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
my new coffee bar
1690419030651.jpeg

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
you are gonna have to declare a budget, otherwise we'll get the wilson-audio type statements. unless thats what you want.
Thought I laid that out with a Lelit Bianca. ;)

I do not want to buy a 3K espresso machine, but want something "end-game" that will last me a while with proper maintenance and upkeep. :)

A friend has a Bosco... perhaps a little over the top for me. *blushes

shawndo

Forum Donor
want something "end-game" that will last me a while with proper maintenance and upkeep. :)
if you are DIY oriented, I'd get an old, beat up olympia cremina and refurbish it. They are popular and even un-refurbished, they might go for $1k+, but they are solid. there are tons of videos, blog posts, etc on how to do this. Just basic hand tools. Awesome machines.
Those and La Pavoni are the muscle cars of espresso and many people's end-game

Pe8er

Forum Donor
Thank you for the opinions everyone. 1zpresso K-Ultra grinder was delivered literally yesterday afternoon, I'm drinking a local dark roast brewed using Aeropress right now. Sitting outside, smiling and marveling at the taste and the possibilities.

I love the idea of a manual espresso machine - seems like less of an investment, they look cool and the manual aspect has a very strong appeal to me. I'll look into Flair 58 and beyond.

What does everyone think about James Hoffmann?

delta76

Major Contributor
Already happening, at least partly. there are many Chinese manufacturers producing espresso stuffs (and coffee in general) now, notably Timemore. But I tell you what, unlike audio industry where snake oil is everywhere, when you see and touch a Germany or Italy made espresso machine, you will know why (they are that expensive). Impeccable craftmanship that will last you decades if not lifetime. And for the things that goes beyond boiling temperature, and with 10+ bar pressure, and contact with something I drink? I would rather spend more money. The espresso machines from China are not that cheaper, yet they perform from bad to only decent, and who knows what accidents might happen.

Better yet, the professional brands, like LM or Slayer are extremely expensive (easily 10k$+, can be 30k$). So when you spend like 3k$ for a dual boiler at home, you know you are not paying for some BS. I'm yet to see a snake oil in espresso. there are this or that tool, yes, but at least they are useful in some aspects (make flow smoother, or easier to clean).

delta76

Major Contributor
Thank you for the opinions everyone. 1zpresso K-Ultra grinder was delivered literally yesterday afternoon, I'm drinking a local dark roast brewed using Aeropress right now. Sitting outside, smiling and marveling at the taste and the possibilities.

I love the idea of a manual espresso machine - seems like less of an investment, they look cool and the manual aspect has a very strong appeal to me. I'll look into Flair 58 and beyond.

What does everyone think about James Hoffmann?
I like him. bought his first book physically, and second book on audio. He's knowledgeable, quite funny to watch with his soothing voice. I find his opinions to be balanced, never too opinioned, and he made any conflict of interests clear. He does weird stuffs from time to time, like drinking coffee from 1950s or roasting in helium, but I prefer his educational or review (common) stuffs videos.

Top Bottom