• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bought a new scale for my coffee habit:

My old scale didn't do .1 g increments and rounding at every .5g was providing wildly different extractions at times. Got tired of guessing how many "extra" beans I was dropping into the cup to try to hit the mark.

So far, pretty solid.
Looks identical to the one I've been using for a year or so, works well, use it for a million things other than coffee as well.

Jbrunwa

A picture tells a thousand words...

Before tamping...
View attachment 216879

After tamping, showing that the grounds are below the razor.
View attachment 216880

After infusion, grounds have expanded and contacted the shower head.
View attachment 216881

...I know, I didn't clean the edges very well.

I have a new theory...
The puck might be more likely to get stuck if I don't remover the portafilter straight away. I wonder if things are cooling down and contracting behind the shower head, generating suction.
It looks like the screw that holds the screen on the group head may protrude so that may be what you are seeing. On my Pasquini Livia 90 the screw is flush so that doesn’t happen but when I used a Rancilio Silvia the screw protrudes so I always see an impression from that.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Looks identical to the one I've been using for a year or so, works well, use it for a million things other than coffee as well.
Finding a "kitchen" scale with .1g sensitivity was challenging. My old kitchen scale still is very solid. It's really only for us serious crackheads that we need to micromanage our dosage. :p
Acaia scales are now $150 for the Pearl. :rolleyes: I liked using that in the coffee shop, but no way am I dropping my friends Ben and Ulysses off for a scale... especially if it doesn't come with a "calibration 8-ball!" *crying laughing
The model (Lunar) that actually fits on the deck of an espresso machine is running $250 now.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
It looks like the screw that holds the screen on the group head may protrude so that may be what you are seeing. On my Pasquini Livia 90 the screw is flush so that doesn’t happen but when I used a Rancilio Silvia the screw protrudes so I always see an impression from that.
That's not a screw... its a bolt on the Silvia! Agree... its not a big deal if the puck expands into the screen, but you don't want it touching before you start extraction.

I wanted to find a replacement screw for my Silvia just because I didn't like that little bit of lacking-refinement in design. (Ha! Ya, I went there.) Alas, it wasn't as easy as I hoped and I gave up pretty quickly in that search.

Jbrunwa

I’ve been making espresso at home for 20+ years with a Pasquini Livia 90 and Anfim Best grinder. I buy green beans and I’ve been roasting my beans for the past 10 or so years with a Behmor roaster. I’ve repaired the Livia myself replacing pressurestats, vacuum release valves, and CPUs several times so it is a bit of a pain in that regard but it still makes excellent espresso.

Attachments

• B458C0E9-CECC-486C-9CA1-D321D3758FFB.jpeg
    B458C0E9-CECC-486C-9CA1-D321D3758FFB.jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 58

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve been making espresso at home for 20+ years with a Pasquini Livia 90 and Anfim Best grinder. I buy green beans and I’ve been roasting my beans for the past 10 or so years with a Behmor roaster. I’ve repaired the Livia myself replacing pressurestats, vacuum release valves, and CPUs several times so it is a bit of a pain in that regard but it still makes excellent espresso.
That's dedication to the bean!!! :D

Jbrunwa

That's not a screw... its a bolt on the Silvia! Agree... its not a big deal if the puck expands into the screen, but you don't want it touching before you start extraction.

I wanted to find a replacement screw for my Silvia just because I didn't like that little bit of lacking-refinement in design. (Ha! Ya, I went there.) Alas, it wasn't as easy as I hoped and I gave up pretty quickly in that search.
Yeah, that design with the bolt always bothered me and I thought about hunting for a replacement too

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I ate a small bag of bulk chocolate covered coffee beans and I was flying very very high for hours. I was a train wreck! Anybody else eating them? I find the kick is more powerful than drinking coffee.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I ate a small bag of bulk chocolate covered coffee beans and I was flying very very high for hours. I was a train wreck! Anybody else eating them? I find the kick is more powerful than drinking coffee.
Define, please, "ate a small bag."

I had a friend once tell me how they ate a "small" bag of mushrooms and how "high" they were flying for hours.

I asked them the same thing. :p

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Define, please, "ate a small bag."

I had a friend once tell me how they ate a "small" bag of mushrooms and how "high" they were flying for hours.

I asked them the same thing. :p
Lol... well in full disclosure I slurped down a Starbucks Vente Dar Roast and then went to Safeway (grocery store) and bought about 2 large handfuls of chocolate covered bean and gobbled those down in short order. I was cooking for sure. Could barely talk and walk normally. As per mushrooms I snack on 7 grams at a time in hot tea or with a sweet snack and it's no big deal.

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Lol... well is full disclosure I slurped down a Starbucks Vente Dar Roast and then went to Safeway (grocery store) and bought about 2 large handfuls of chocolate covered bean and gobbled those down in short order.
动态图GIF: reaction, sports, no, hot, wtf, wow, omg, crazy, coffee, awesome,  epic, cold, fifa, no way, insane, disgusting, nasty, spit, say what, spray,  incredible, bitter, what did you say, spit take, pumpkin

;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've done blotter and microdot acid when younger and as mentioned some quantity of shroomers too and I can easily say that I was worse as a wreck on all that caffeine. I was not suitable in any professional capacity and could not think properly. My speech was disjointed and rambling.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I've done blotter and microdot acid when younger and as mentioned some quantity of shroomers too and I can easily say that I was worse as a wreck on all that caffeine. I was not suitable in any professional capacity and could not think properly. My speech was disjointed and rambling.
Agree... a hard caffeine buzz is debilitating. Somewhere between the jitters and shakes, the nausea, the heart palpitations, trouble breathing, and diarrhea...

...it just stops being fun. :D

I'd rather just knock back 3 or 4 Irish Coffees and call it good. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd rather just knock back 3 or 4 Irish Coffees and call it good. :)
I bar waited at a ~275 seat Italian restaurant/lounge when I was 12 years old and I experimented with alcohol at that time at work. I would make super modified Irish coffees with orange liquor and whiskey with whipped cream on top with sprinkles too. Delicious for sure. Of course I made a quadruple martini in a milkshake sized foam cup for the walk home. What a job that was! ...lol. Good tips too. :D As a extra bonus we where allowed anything on the food menu once per day. I gobbled down the cannelloni voraciously.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I do not have a machine. I make it manually.

Well, I believe the hand-made coffee tastes better than the machine-made,
You talkin' Cowboy style? Pour Over through a Cone and Filter? Manual can mean so many different things. ;)

dfuller

Major Contributor
I have an Aeropress and a 2 cup V60. My grinder is a 1zpresso JX-Pro. We're surrounded by wonderful coffee in Melbourne so I'm spoilt for choice when it comes to beans.
I love my 1zpresso K-Max. Great grinder.

Bought a new scale for my coffee habit:

My old scale didn't do .1 g increments and rounding at every .5g was providing wildly different extractions at times. Got tired of guessing how many "extra" beans I was dropping into the cup to try to hit the mark.

So far, pretty solid.
I've had that exact scale for months, it's a decent scale. I also recently bought a new scale - a Timemore Black Mirror Nano. It fits nicely on the drip tray of my espresso machine, which is a big plus to me.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I'm near the shop of Hoorens Koffie in Sint Maria Oudenhove (Zottegem) in Belgium. It's the most reputed coffeeroaster in the country and the place where all the fancy high class restaurants in Belgium and region get their stuff. It's the company of the wife of the former infamous artist Panamarenko (R.I.P.) and he did a lot of the styling of the brand. So i go there...

Their Exellent brand did not steal it's name, it's my everyday coffee and when buying direct from the company, not that expensive. I use a perculator that does one cup at the time, don't know the brand anymore. I always start from full beans and use an own mill (brand i also don't know by heart).

Top Bottom