• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been drinking for many years 1 liter a day. Black ( no sugar or milk etc ) and using the brand called Julius Meinl. It's Austrian brand, if you'like soft and smooth aromatic coffee I suggest tha brands products. I use filter for french press version.

I love my Meinl. It works great in the Moccamaster. We just received an order (they ship to the US at reasonable cost) to last us the next couple months today:

9A8663AA-622B-4AA7-BB2C-8BB3BC093E6C.jpeg

The packaging has changed since my last order. Now they have a valve on the bag. Before they compressed it into a brick. We’ll see if it tastes different. I order the 250g packages to keep things fresher longer. Oddly the 250g costs exactly half as much as 500g, so really no incentive to get the bigger package.

I also love that they use Viennese newspapers as packing material. Normally Der Standard (the paper of record) but occasionally the odd bit of Die Presse or, as here, Kurrier.

97B4E192-C5FC-466A-9777-21F92FB130AC.jpeg

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is how you 'repurpose' your StarBucks' order-label that the baristas slapped on your cup:
202203_StarbucksPole02.jpg

It may become the 'wave-of-the-future"!

Stilgar

I love my Meinl. It works great in the Moccamaster. We just received an order (they ship to the US at reasonable cost) to last us the next couple months today:

View attachment 195277

The packaging has changed since my last order. Now they have a valve on the bag. Before they compressed it into a brick. We’ll see if it tastes different. I order the 250g packages to keep things fresher longer. Oddly the 250g costs exactly half as much as 500g, so really no incentive to get the bigger package.

I also love that they use Viennese newspapers as packing material. Normally Der Standard (the paper of record) but occasionally the odd bit of Die Presse or, as here, Kurrier.

View attachment 195278
Yes the package changed after christmas but taste is not :) I am livin Europe and cost is very low on Amazon, many local brands expensive than julius but taste not good as their price. The Prasident good for morning and the jubilaum for the afternoon for my taste. Unfortinatelly on amazon orders don't inculude the newapaper :) My sister drinks bean version from the coffee machine, bean version starts 500 gr package, french press version stars 250 gr and i'll always use that version too; for fresh. I am using glass storage with wooden cover its better than orijinal package or plastic holder

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really a coffee aficionado but I like to drink double Nespresso shots before I have my listening session to boost psychoacoustic perception :)

BackgroundDefault.jpg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I think I really have hit my end-game coffee. For "regular" coffee, Halo Hartume beans (single origin Yirgacheffe Ethiopian that we get from a Cleveland roaster) freshly ground at the setting marked on our burr grinder dial with a Sharpie, which took some trial and error, and a Bodum French press. 203 degrees F, 35 seconds bloom, then 4 minutes total brew time.

For espresso, a walk down to our shop when our daughter is running FOH and have her make me one. Whatever it is she does, the flavor, texture, and crema seem perfect to me. I posted a pic of our machine earlier. If it's the right time of day and no-one is looking, a shot of grappa might accidentally find its way in there.

Moonhead

When I roasted beans in the Owen I tried every sort I could get a hold off and my favorite was Yirgacheffe and the worst was Robusta, you cant go wrong with coffee from Ethiopian, want cheap but still very Good beans get some from South America.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Madness! :D Would you say a $4000 espresso-maker makes $3500 better espresso than a $500 espresso-maker?
Why is it madness? This machine is the equivalent of a pair of speakers that via config can be made to sound like any other pair of speakers ever made.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whatever it is she does, the flavor, texture, and crema seem perfect to me.
Food and drink made by other people always tastes great, even when objectively worse than what you can make, combine it with someone who can make things objectively better and it's activate drool mode time.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I really have hit my end-game coffee. For "regular" coffee, Halo Hartume beans (single origin Yirgacheffe Ethiopian that we get from a Cleveland roaster) freshly ground at the setting marked on our burr grinder dial with a Sharpie, which took some trial and error, and a Bodum French press. 203 degrees F, 35 seconds bloom, then 4 minutes total brew time.
Have you tried very long steeps, 20 mins plus? You want insulation for such times to maintain temp.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why is it madness? This machine is the equivalent of a pair of speakers that via config can be made to sound like any other pair of speakers ever made.

"Madness" wasn't an insult. I love it! :D I didn't know those things existed, and they look awesome. First espresso machine I've seen with a large screen like that.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Madness" wasn't an insult. I love it! :D I didn't know those things existed, and they look awesome. First espresso machine I've seen with a large screen like that.
Ah right, your post read very differently to me.

They are fascinating machines, the company is very open to ideas from their community, and the owners regular updates are a real insight to running a manufacturing company.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
It looks like a really interesting machine, but much as I love coffee, I'm not sure I want to nerd out that much and I think I would find the number of variables involved overwhelming.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you tried very long steeps, 20 mins plus? You want insulation for such times to maintain temp.

French Press with 10 minutes steep, removing “crema” for the lack of word after 5 minutes of steeping and without pressing the filter to the bottom when poured really brings out flavor complexity without the bitterness or burnt taste. Really good brew IMHO

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes, I did not at all like the results. When we do this at the shop, we pour off the Bodum into an insulated pot so it stays warm. At home, it just goes right into my cup.:D

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@SIY >> your link to your daughter's book has brought up 2 questions which require an expert's answers:
Her book cover shows roasted coffee beans that are rich in sheen (shine? oils? wutevr?).
Bulk bean-coffee section of the local Sprouts shows marked differences in that "sheen" between about 2 dozen coffee bean varieties.
Q#1: Why do some beans have that sheen and other beans don't?
Q#2: Is my purchase decision to gravitate towards the beans with that sheen; the proper one?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Oil content at the surface, yep! Depends on the roast and the type of bean. Since she took the photo, I'll ask her which kind she used.

For me, I don't worry much about the appearance unless something is noticeably wrong. It's all about aroma and flavor, and my expertise is on "what I like and does well in staff blind tastings." Again, I'll ask her opinion since she knows a hundred times as much about it as I do.

Top Bottom