• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

delta76

Major Contributor
Tamp does that.
No it does not. Tamp can't distribute well. You have to tap or use wdt. Unless you have a great grinder and great skills, wdt will almost certainly help. And i speak from experience with noticeable improvement (significantly less channeling)
Of course you don't have to use wdt. As any tool it helps to make the process easier/more consistent/both. But if you don't like it, that is fine too.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
In theory I want to agree...

In actuality, I think most of us have seen this fail inexplicably if statement were true. ;)
I'm reminded of a training session where the trainer asked me why I lightly wrapped the handle of the tamper against the edge of the portafilter after I tamped.
I learned this from watching some other Baristas whom I respected for flawless espressos and that it helps clean the inside rim of the basket before applying a polishing tamp, I explained.
Her caution to me was that even though to seems harmless, it can create a fissure in the now tamped puck which a second tamp won't necessarily fix as the puck is already compressed. This can result in its own extraction issues, separate from other variables we work to fix.

Best practice I learned was to rotate the portafilter and make certain you fill the basket evenly as possible while grinding to help with even distribution. Then care in leveling by hand so as to not compress the grind unevenly, then get a good even and level tamp.

Then pray, if you're into that. :p

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
With that said, I share the view that there are always ridiculous things enter the espresso world.
We have seen $200+ tampers and now $200+ WDT are getting "popular". They probably are 5% better than my $5 WDT from aliexpress, so I am good

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I don't have data to back me up, so better be generous. They look cool at least :)
Ah.. Yes... Style over Substance. I get it. ;)

q2wFGKsRcNZ2pxoZhqRv6i-1200-80.jpg.webp

:)

delta76

Major Contributor
Ah.. Yes... Style over Substance. I get it. ;)

q2wFGKsRcNZ2pxoZhqRv6i-1200-80.jpg.webp

:)
No I meant the moonraker. I can understand why it can be more consistent than my $5 one, as the needles would touch every place in the basket with a few rotations instead of relying on me doing so. But as I said, way too expensive for what it brings to the table

Attachments

• 1697737546053.jpeg
    1697737546053.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 206

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
No I meant the moonraker. I can understand why it can be more consistent than my $5 one, as the needles would touch every place in the basket with a few rotations instead of relying on me doing so. But as I said, way too expensive for what it brings to the table

Hmmm, I wonder if you could DIY something similar. :)

1697739654763.png

I tried on of the cheap distribution tools, but I couldn't detect any difference; so I don't use it now as its less faff not not to bother.

1697739929741.png

I do have one of these, which I spin and then press to tamp - seems to work.

1697740098945.png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let us review dose prep tools:
202310_Espresso4Tools2.jpg

Let us also add a new-ish tool to the list:
202310_EspressoPuckScreen.jpg

[Youtube is full of taste-comparisons by 'experts']
I use the first 3 tools (above).
before applying a polishing tamp...
...Tamp does that.
No it does not. Tamp can't distribute well. You have to tap or use wdt. ...
I think it was waaaaay back in 2021; I distinctly recall our resident 'fu manchu' barista chiding us that the process of tamp'g should be minimized.:confused:

I prefer using a wee-bit coarser grind and then compensate with the following:
*During the grinding process - directly into the basket/funnel - I continually tap/rotate the basket.
*Then, I use an adjustable leveler to spread the dose evenly.
*I finish off the dose preparation by using the tamping tool (maximized).

I must be doing it all wrong but we both prefer the results.
"16.6gm dose/24seconds pull/40gm yield" works for my manual-lever machine that I use daily.
We try to slowly sip our shots without any '30 second' rules (in double-wall demi-tasse).:cool:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Let us review dose prep tools:
View attachment 320007
Let us also add a new-ish tool to the list:
View attachment 320009
[Youtube is full of taste-comparisons by 'experts']
I use the first 3 tools (above).

I think it was waaaaay back in 2021; I distinctly recall our resident 'fu manchu' barista chiding us that the process of tamp'g should be minimized.:confused:

I prefer using a wee-bit coarser grind and then compensate with the following:
*During the grinding process - directly into the basket/funnel - I continually tap/rotate the basket.
*Then, I use an adjustable leveler to spread the dose evenly.
*I finish off the dose preparation by using the tamping tool (maximized).

I must be doing it all wrong but we both prefer the results.
"16.6gm dose/24seconds pull/40gm yield" works for my manual-lever machine that I use daily.
We try to slowly sip our shots without any '30 second' rules (in double-wall demi-tasse).:cool:
I'm not chiding anybody, today. Just conversing. :D

Dosing funnels can be useful to help contain a mess, I would think, much as using a dosing cup. Necessary tools? Not really, but neither do they imply some sort of magic to improve your shot. ;)

As for tamping, whether a polishing tamp is advised or not seems to be a matter of opinion. I know people that do both. I use a second polishing tamp, myself. :)

No derisive implications to my words meant.

Excepting those additional screens and porta-papers. :p

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dosing funnels can be useful to help contain a mess, I would think, much as using a dosing cup. Necessary tools? Not really, but neither do they imply some sort of magic to improve your shot.;)
Bolognium! :oops:Everyone knows about magical effects of funnel-magnetism which assists generated electrostatics to assymetrically align the grains! Duh!;)

I was not dis'ing what has always sounded sensible about your instructive tamp technique.
When I am putting my whole body into tamping; I think of the white fu-manchu smacking me!:D

Steve81

Forum Donor
I usually drank four or five cups of coffee at work. It was free, along with creamer (and occasionally hot chocolate mix for a mocha :p); generally I was satisfied, and I always got my money’s worth.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tamp can't distribute well
I think that will depend on tamp pressure. There really is no structure in coffee grind that is going to withstand a heavy tamp.

You have to tap or use wdt
I'll admit to tapping. But I do this to level the grind - perhaps it also evens out the distribution, who knows. Either way, WDT is not used in this house. Life is too damn short - and getting shorter by the day.

(I have a bottomless filter, and the extraction is pretty even)

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been to numerous coffee shops in Italy - the birthplace of espresso. Can you guess how many baristas I've seen there stirring the grind?

I am sure they are laughing about it.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been to numerous coffee shops in Italy - the birthplace of espresso...
I am sure they are laughing about it.
They are not laughing; those are snarls...
... because Frappucino was invented in Massachusetts.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom